54 in Thailand for the last 3 years

spencerbb

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello All,

I have been living in Thailand on a retirement visa (US citizen) for the last 3 years. If anyone has any questions about retiring in Thailand, let me know and I'll do my best to help answer your questions.

Spencer

Aloha, Spencer! Thanks for the offer! You got me to thinking...I might want to try living in Phuket for the diving...I'm over 50, but my wife is under...is it difficult to get a spousal Visa for the one year period? Thanks!

What are your housing costs like over there? I hear it can be cheap...than I hear it can be expensive too lol.

Aloha, Spencer! Thanks for the offer! You got me to thinking...I might want to try living in Phuket for the diving...I'm over 50, but my wife is under...is it difficult to get a spousal Visa for the one year period? Thanks!

Not sure about the spousal visa, I am not married. I would imagine it would be the same visa process as yours unless your spouse is a Thai, then I believe it makes things easier.

What are your housing costs like over there? I hear it can be cheap...than I hear it can be expensive too lol.

Yes, it can be expensive if you feel the need to live in a tourist area. When I first arrived, I paid 5000 baht (about $150 US) a month for a 2 bed 1 bath in a locals area. I have since moved to a much larger 2/2 on a bit of land, brand new for 12,000 baht ($360 US). Rent prices are all over the place, you can find a 1 bed/1 bath for as little as 3-5000 baht and you can find a beachfront villa for 50,000 baht a month. Many choices!

Have you learned to speak Thai? Do you socialize mostly with Thai people, or with expats? Had you spent much time in Thailand before you moved there?

Many years ago, I spent about two months in Thailand, as part of a long trip. I recall it was a very interesting place. People were friendly and I loved the food. But it seems like if one did not speak Thai, it might be hard to integrate.

In 1998 went on vacation there. It was fun but couldn’t deal with the heat and air/water pollution on a regular basis. You couldn’t even pay me to live there.

Hello All,

I have been living in Thailand on a retirement visa (US citizen) for the last 3 years. If anyone has any questions about retiring in Thailand, let me know and I'll do my best to help answer your questions.

Spencer

I’ve heard the Thai people are friendly how is the dating scene for a 54 yo single male?

I’ve heard the Thai people are friendly how is the dating scene for a 54 yo single male?

You will have no problem. My husband’s uncle is in his mid 80s and after 4 marriages, he found a wife from his frequent vacationing in Thailand.

We have spent four winters in Thailand. Booked our air for Jan. We love Thai food, the people are so very friendly. We prefer the south but not Phuket. We are familiar with Krabi, Ao Nang, Ko Lanta, Ngai, Libong, Trang, etc.

We cannot imagine spending winters in Florida or Arizona after spending time in Thailand and Vietnam! Amazing that this year we booked a Scoot flight out of Krabi via SIN to Gold Coast. We thought about spending more time, say four months but it is a little far from our home.

My BIL wife is from Thailand. She was in her early 30's when she moved here to marry BIL. It's very different moving to paradise with a nice bank account. She moved away (from Thailand) to what she thought was a better life here. Her photos from Thailand are amazingly beautiful and she is a lovely girl. I always think "Really? Thailand to the mid west?" Hmmm. I guess love had something to do with it.

R, I am sure her standard of living is much higher here than it was in Thailand. I worked with someone from there and she said her life is so much better in the states.

Have you learned to speak Thai? Do you socialize mostly with Thai people, or with expats? Had you spent much time in Thailand before you moved there?

Many years ago, I spent about two months in Thailand, as part of a long trip. I recall it was a very interesting place. People were friendly and I loved the food. But it seems like if one did not speak Thai, it might be hard to integrate.

The Thai language for me is pretty tough. I can speak a few words but very far from fluency. I tend to interact with Thai people more than the expats. That's mostly because I live in town and the expats, not all but most, live near the beach. I came to thailand a couple of times before moving here. I've always wanted to live somewhere that the cost of living is lower than the US. I moved here for the cost benefits, I would have been just as happy in equador or panama.

It looks incredibly beautiful there.
is the food all super spicy ? I have a relative that went there a few times, and he said he couldn't eat the food in local areas as it burned.
I've always wanted to go there, at least to visit.

It looks incredibly beautiful there.
is the food all super spicy ? I have a relative that went there a few times, and he said he couldn't eat the food in local areas as it burned.
I've always wanted to go there, at least to visit.

Ha! you're asking the wrong person :) The food can not be hot enough for me. I love spicy food. You can find less spicy food. Western food is everywhere now. Most thais know, however, if you're a foreigner, to turn down the heat if possible. Thai chilis are hotter than jalapenos IMO.

Try habaneros, my sister grew them and gave some to her landscapers, they complained them peppers were too hot for them.

Try habaneros, my sister grew them and gave some to her landscapers, they complained them peppers were too hot for them.

A number of years ago, in Belize, my late wife was chopping habeneros when I walked by au naturel on my way to the shower in our little rented shack.

As I passed by, she grabbed me in a 'sensitive area'.

Lemme tell ya, habeneros don't just burn when you eat them!!

Back
Top Bottom