Another Romulan declaoking

Cooked

Recycles dryer sheets
After more that 33 years I am Cooked.

Thirty three years at megacorp and five or six years lurking here. Cloaking from w*rl and decloaking here. Eight weeks ago I was playing OMY in head over and over like a broken record player….remember those? My manager came by for a short conversation and my eyes lit up. He came by twice more over the next few days to check the temperature of my feet. No way to get cold feet in the Arizona sun. I was marked as walking dead (laid off) four weeks ago. Last day was Friday. And tomorrow I am going to take a walk, do the grocery shopping and read a book.

Thanks to this board for all the advice that you have let me silently suck out of this forum. You taught me about the fact and fallacies of the 4% ‘rule’, how to grapple with the SS age question, how to keep a level head in a sea of news babble and pssssst Wellesley.

Its Sunday. For one of the first times I looked at all the ads in the Sunday paper. Sunday is grocery shopping day, but all those darn wage slaves are our there today. I’ll go tomorrow. There is a little unease with the loss of the work social ties so I have a new tickler file to insure that I keep some connections alive. I have been poor at this in the past. Missing that Sunday feeling…you know..that pre-Monday feeling….NOT.

The twice a week volunteer gig start in September or October. I am working on a cover letter and resume for a summer gig next summer. I need to plan a train trip somewhere.

No pension, no problem. Most people I know are waiting for SS to retire. Why in the world would one let those num nuts in DC determine your retirement date? Yet I let the megacorp HR staff help me with mine.....hmmm

Me 56, DW 57…DINKs for many years now NINKs.

I'd say you're well Cooked, and I'm glad you've finally de-cloaked.

Imirrhlhhse dhraeu, llea hraen evied-draed.

(That's Romulan for screw work, enjoy your retirement.)

Thanks for the welcome. I just felt crazy this morning so...slept in till 4:30. Its just so crazy, gonna be lazy. :dance:

Today is the first day of decumulating. We have spent all those years accumulating. I wonder how long it is going to take to get this new mindset. I am feeling this tendency to be overly frugal.

AKA "Recalibration to a new baseline."

You're suffering from "first year frugality" (FYF), the typical reaction to no longer having a paycheck.

So my enemy has a name: FYF. I was concerned about this before I made the jump so we did go out and splurge and a few retirement gifts. Just the standard stuff. Some video games, a new bike, an iPod and beer:D

Congratulations. Enjoy your new found freedom.

I lurked here for a few years myself before creating my own ID; then, I lurked for a while longer before actually posting anything. Now, I am waiting for someone to give me that little push out the door since I do not seem to have the courage to take the step all on my own.

Have you noticed how happy (at least relatively happy :)) the Klingons were after they made peace with the Federation? You will experience the same state of mind once you make peace with being retired. Congratulations!

Or was that the Ferengi? Or the Cardasians? Or the Borg?

Regardless, you are captain of your own star ship!

CoolChange,
Thanks for the well wishes.

In my walking dead period (4 weeks), I talked with many people in my age group (56). None of them had OMY syndrome, FTEMY (five to eight more years) was most common. I did not detect and OMY for anyone less than 62 as far as I know.
This was an engineered nudge. Last year I suggested to my manager that my performance rating might be too high...then the waiting game began. I was fortunate to have a manager that deserved my trust.

You're suffering from "first year frugality" (FYF), the typical reaction to no longer having a paycheck. Symptoms will ease in time, usually a year to 18 months.
Great term. We suffered from a bout of this, but as you point out, we also got over it. Haven't had any recurrences, either. :)

Have you noticed how happy (at least relatively happy :)) the Klingons were after they made peace with the Federation? You will experience the same state of mind once you make peace with being retired. Congratulations!

Or was that the Ferengi? Or the Cardasians? Or the Borg?

Regardless, you are captain of your own star ship!

Congrats to the OP!! My employer is interviewing my potential, partial replacement as I type this (I'm close to cutting back my hours) and I'm feeling the butterflies myself.

As far as the ST and STNG stuff goes, I'm an engineer and definitely get it. But I felt reallyyyy old the other day when I looked at a floor plan of a unique building that has a large elliptical area with two extensions on one of the long sides, and remarked to my junior engineer, "you need to put 'NCC-1701-D' on the drawing right here." The response was a blank stare. From a young, single, male, engi-nerd!

What's this world coming to? :facepalm:

This was an engineered nudge. Last year I suggested to my manager that my performance rating might be too high...then the waiting game began. I was fortunate to have a manager that deserved my trust.

Great to hear. One of my favorite employees missed a buyout offer because he had such a high rating (which he deserved). He never got a chance to retire - cancer at age 64. How I wish I could go back and de-rate him.

I lurked for quite a while also, before taking the plunge and coming out of the closet, (can I say that in this age of political corrrectness?), and joining the group.

Hopefully you received a good severance and health benefits. How'd you do? One chapter closes and another opens.

It's nice making your acquaintance.

Attachments

• engage.JPG
    engage.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 5
Congratulations! Really enjoyed the introduction/decloaking. Would be nice to hear about your post ER experience as this unfolds.

Back
Top Bottom