Coming up on 3 years

DewIt

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello everyone,

Soon I will have reached my 3 year anniversary of joining my wife in retirement. I'd been reading on this site (and a couple others), for at least a few years prior to retiring to learn what I possibly could to leave at 55 from a corporate sales job. Its funny how simple I thought things should work back when I was in my 20's and 30's; like retirement just meant turning in your keys and enjoy the checks the rest of your life! Some truth to it, but there was and is a lot more to it than that. I guess we can claim some kind of victory making it this far, but a fair amount of it was luck. 2008-2009 at the time seemed like the worst thing that could have happened to us, but it actually propelled us into retirement. Not claiming any wisdom, just following the advice that was on this and other forums. Maybe more like just plain too scared to do anything
C:\Users\muzz\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

The next step for us is relocating to a town a couple hours away from here. We are thinking in another three years putting the home up for sale and buying in the new area after we sell. I am sure many others have done this, and I am very anxious about this. We have talked about buying before we sell, buying after, whether to get a mortgage or buying with cash (leaning towards large down payment and small mortgage). I am interested in stories of how others accomplished this. Was it hard to get a mortgage? Biggest obstacles? Etc, etc.

Thanks everybody!

Buy new house first, then sell the old house. I did it the other way. You won't be able to find a new house you like, you will end up in an apartment, you will move twice, you will pay for storage, you will pay rent while your old house money is just sitting in a short term account...

I failed to mention that we currently live in a depressed area, not a sellers market for sure. We would prefer doing it that way, but we are afraid that we would be stuck with the old property for an extended period of time simply because our shrinking population. I guess as we get closer, the picture may get clearer...

Back
Top Bottom