ER'd but haven't had a chance to enjoy it yet.

chilkoot

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi. Name's Kevin. First post. Probably like many I've been lurking a long time and just decided to jump in.

Personal stats: 56 y.o. Not married. No kids. I'll probably post something in the recent "milestones" thread, as I just recently paid off the house.
Suffered a stroke awhile ago and I'm still recovering. No paralysis, thankfully, just a REALLY LONG recovery period. Still just hanging around the house - looking forward to a lot more motorcycle time in the future.
Was basically forced to take ER last year. This was planned for, then the stroke, then my co-workers and I were told our jobs were being outsourced. The stroke hit just a few months after I qualified for the company's pension plan. So, unlike some co-workers, I should be okay.

Anyway, thanks for many hours of reading enjoyment and I hope to have a chance to contribute.

Welcome to the Early Retirement Forum, Chilkoot.

Wow, you really lucked out with the pension deal. So sorry to hear about your stroke, though. You were so fortunate not to have paralysis, and I hope your recovery starts speeding up.

Welcome and glad you are doing so well. Both parents died from strokes at an early age, so I count every day as a blessing.

Hi. Name's Kevin. First post. Probably like many I've been lurking a long time and just decided to jump in.

Personal stats: 56 y.o. Not married. No kids. I'll probably post something in the recent "milestones" thread, as I just recently paid off the house.
Suffered a stroke awhile ago and I'm still recovering. No paralysis, thankfully, just a REALLY LONG recovery period. Still just hanging around the house - looking forward to a lot more motorcycle time in the future.
Was basically forced to take ER last year. This was planned for, then the stroke, then my co-workers and I were told our jobs were being outsourced. The stroke hit just a few months after I qualified for the company's pension plan. So, unlike some co-workers, I should be okay.

Anyway, thanks for many hours of reading enjoyment and I hope to have a chance to contribute.

Try to recover and optimize your health.

Given the stroke thing, you have a run of possible good luck, what with recovering , paid off house, and pension. I had a major heart attack when I was 51, and it took about 6 years until I felt like my brain was back to some semblance of what it was (the slow recovery almost got me fired from work too). One of the many lessons from that was how long it takes to recover. I could not imagine how an 80 year old can ever recover from a stroke or heart attack. I read somewhere that most elderly folks only last about 5 years after a major health event like that, and now I know why.

I am so glad you've come to our community. Welcome!

First, glad you planned for this ER. Second. glad you have some pension. These are rare these days. Third, please keep looking after your health, that is most important.

Fourth, you are not alone with outsourcing. I still w*rk, but most of my co-workers are on the other side of the world. I actually love these people. They are just living like us. But the outsourcing thing is a real pain. Some days. I am just ready to quit. (See OMY syndrome.)

Finally, I just want to say a few summary things:
- Hope you have health insurance (HI) if not, watch the "Obamacare" or "ACA" threads on this site.
- Try "firecalc". Plug in your pension. Plug in your eventual social security. Hang in there, you can do it. Look at the crazy young people who want to ER with few assets. You will be OK if you manage your expenses. (Compared to the youngsters with no pension who find a way, that's why I consider them an inspiration.)

Finally, once you do some research on all this stuff (firecalc, pensions, social security, health insurance, etc.) you will find aw way to enjoy your time.

Disclaimer: I am still w*rking, but in OMY mode (One More Year), but currently enjoying my j*b. In 6 weeks, this may all change and I may be hating the j*b. In any case, I have some family experience with strokes and know this is is very difficult and hope and pray and my and a DW (Darling Wife) do not have to deal with that very difficult life changing situation.

Last edited:
Good luck with your recovery. Glad to hear you have the pension and the house paid off.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the rewards of reaching important financial milestones! In this economy, the out-sourcing continues to hurt so many families and workers; but at least you are beginning ER with a paid-off house and a pension. Bravo!

So sorry to hear about the stroke; that is not the way anyone wants to begin ER. (My husband had to ER with a long-term disability.) However, with those milestones in place, maybe your transition time will go a little more smoothly. It did for my husband: while dealing with medical concerns, he continues to enjoy reading in the AM, with his cup of coffee; volunteering when he is able; going for drives into the springtime hills. Freedom to enjoy the world around us is such a gift.

Hope you can head out on that motorcycle ASAP. Get well soon! :flowers:

Congrats, you now have more time to work on improving health and fitness to ensure a long and happy retirement.

Back
Top Bottom