Fed up and (almost) ready to pull the plug..

WinterHaven

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi, from sunny (for now) Georgia..

I've been reading a bit here and there and this place is such an inspiration to read all of the success and the hope and the dedication. I'm 44, btw. I'm in a very frustrating w*rkplace that has been contracting for a few years.. To the point where they have let quite a few K's of people go, thus constricting a lot of work until far less people.

That's led me here where I've been inspired.. I'm beginning to keep a much closer track of my budgetary and discretionary spending so I can determine my ER timeframe...

Currently, DW and I have just over $2M in accrued investment and retirement assets with about 700K in IRAs/401K and the rest in investment accounts. Our house is paid for and including some investment properties (farm and rentals), our Net worth is closing in on 2.8M. I have four vehicles, all paid for and one which I'll sell the day I quit work (An older German vehicle which still gets 27 MPG, my commute car).

We had one daughter graduate from college last week (phew!) and the other graduates HS this week.. The younger's education expenses are set and are separate than above. Youngest DD will also be taking my 4th car under her name (and one less insurance payment for me!) once she strikes out on her own in a year.. Oldest DD will be looking for a job and I hope she gets married soon.. :angel:

I think my and DW's biggest fear of me retiring early is the health insurance aspect. I'm sure I'll be reading many of the threads on here about that in the future weeks/months...

So, in essence, I'm looking forward to reading on everyone's successes going forward! And to also posting mine! :dance:

-WH

Sounds like you're the regular Millionaire Next Door! I am 23 and would love to be in your situation (minus the bad work environment) at your age. Unless your expenses are out of control, it seems like you should be able to retire right now without a problem.

It is good feeling when some of the goals that only can be completed with the passage of time start happening. Like college completed, high school completed, child getting married and on their own insurance.

Not too much to add on your overall situation as it looks excellent and all options are available to you.

Congratulations!

Watch what is and could happen to ACA-ObamaCare.

:greetings10:
Watch what is and what could happen to ACA-ObamaCare, to the following threads : 23 Young Dreamer, Seeking Retirement by 40 ; After 5 years of part-time ESR

Couple of LP's homilies.
Look beyond the Rule of 72. I focused too much on Rate rather than what portion of investment money made the most money.

Your 35-45 year working life needs to fund the 'Rest-of-Your-Life'. Budget your time and efforts accordingly.

Swans come in many shades of white, even the lack of white.

Why is it that we have The Best, then only to discover that it is more than just the Best and there is always something Better than the Best.

The color of a house does not mean the backside of the house is the same color. [attribution to R Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land]

If you want to RE, use tIRA, Roth, Annuities, 401k and like, very carefully and sparingly.
:cool:

Last edited:
Welcome, Winter! Sounds like you are well on the way to ER. Congratulations on having education $$ for your kiddos covered.

Lots of good info here and friendly folks to weigh in. Hope you find it as useful as I did.

Unless your expenses are out of control, it seems like you should be able to retire right now without a problem.
You must LBYM as you have accumulated significant numbers, unless you are paid a very significant salary. Taking a close look at your expenses will help you on your way to FIRE.
The amount accumulated only matters when taking into account your expenses and expected length of FIRE.

For some strange reason I'm having a flashback to the old "Three Billy Goats Gruff" fairy tale...

Hi Winter,
I apologize for the diversion.....

Last edited:
You have done well but at 42 do you really want to retire? I am 59 and have the big nest egg too... My son is 15 which means 3 more years of high school., I too am pretty tired of the working life (32 years at the same firm) I decided that if I were to retire I'd be bored to tears in no time. I need that adventure of moving to a Winter Haven coupled with retirement.

My solution is to spice up our lives with travel...Hawaii in a few weeks, I'm not sure what next but someplace warm for Christmas probably florida...

Update : The jackals at MegaCorp bit one too many times and just this afternoon I'm stitching the wounds with all of the copies of the resignation letter that I sent to my management team.

What a wonderful feeling! Scary and enthralling all at the same time. It does have a calming effect knowing that you have zero to lose, however. I was told a counter offer would be coming and I said that it had better be eye opening for me to even consider.

Life is good, today... I think I'll go have a beer.

Wow! Serious?! Had you not planned on resigning today? What triggered this? I bet your management is pretty surprised. Give us some details if you don't mind sharing.

Oh and congratulations! :)

Sounds like we are so in the same boat.. but my brother talked me out of sending my letter last week. Can't wait to see how this goes for you. Health care is also my big fear when people start talking $20K/yr which just seems insane to budget for.

Hope you factored in wedding expenses :) My coworker retired 3 times and came out of retirement as those things can cost a fortune.

Since I'm also in my early 40s ..wondering if your really thinking full retirement or just going to something new/part time/consulting. My theory is I can always go back to work if it starts to be too big of a drain, but at least I have a good "safety" net so trying something different isn't as scarey and finding a job I love but doesn't pay well could be good for the soul.

Hope you factored in wedding expenses :) My coworker retired 3 times and came out of retirement as those things can cost a fortune.

Since I'm also in my early 40s ..wondering if your really thinking full retirement or just going to something new/part time/consulting. My theory is I can always go back to work if it starts to be too big of a drain, but at least I have a good "safety" net so trying something different isn't as scarey and finding a job I love but doesn't pay well could be good for the soul.

The whole family will be helping out with (hopefully soon) future weddings... The younger DD is still a wee bit young, but the older DD is out of college and dating a really great guy for about 3 years... They're not in a hurry, but I think I'll be lighting a fire under their butts in the near future, :LOL:

What I'm going to do is try out full retirement... Luckily, I have a breadth of skills and will likely end up working in some capacity. But ONLY for myself or at my leisure. I'm really really looking forward to not have the dreaded sunday night blues... Just 15 days away, now! (30th is the end date)

Update : The jackals at MegaCorp bit one too many times and just this afternoon I'm stitching the wounds with all of the copies of the resignation letter that I sent to my management team.

What a wonderful feeling! Scary and enthralling all at the same time. It does have a calming effect knowing that you have zero to lose, however. I was told a counter offer would be coming and I said that it had better be eye opening for me to even consider.

Life is good, today... I think I'll go have a beer.

Very nice! Congrats!

I've got three different versions of a resignation letter I plan on handing in near the end of this year. It's fun to work on it from time to time as the organization (and my management chain) changes.

I have no intention of accepting any counters myself. But, just to see how far they might be willing to jump, I'll probably tell them not to even waste their time extending one unless it's what I've always called "crazy stupid" money. Meaning, the company would be crazy and stupid to offer it, and I'd be crazy and stupid for turning it down.

When they ask me what my version of "crazy stupid" money is, I'll tell them...one million dollars (after tax) for one more year's work.

Zero chance of that happening, but it'll be fun to see the looks on their faces as they realize I'm serious. LOL.

Excellent! You will enjoy being able to "work" on your own terms. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom