FIRE early but still too busy (33 in Toronto)

Leif

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone!
I am relatively new to retirement but I find I still feel really busy. I managed to retire last year at the age of 32, and my wife retired two years before I did.

The biggest thing I came to this forum to look into is how long it takes people to settle into retirement. I still feel busier than I'de really like to and I assume its because I haven't figured out how to slow down yet.

I think my busy-ness makes sense but I just want to wander around and see if my theory is correct. Largely I blame it on my 2 kids (2.5yo and 0.5yo). One is in daycare and the other isn't. Saying I blame it on them sounds bad but I love being with them. I just still find I never read or play video games like I thought I would be doing. :confused:

I did start a blog about the journey, because I legitimately like writing and helping people. I do wonder if that's a stupid thing to do since there are a lot of finance blogs around and its time consuming :|

Also full disclosure I work 1 day a week, I dont think that really makes me feel busy since 6 days a week are so busy I imagine a 7th wouldnt change anything. I just mention is in case it disqualifies me from saying im retired. I mostly do it to stay attached to the interesting work I came from...just without the soul crushing overwork.

Last edited:
It took me 3 years to really slow down and reconnect with more important things. You might take longer with the young children. And I predict you will leave the one day at work behind in the same time-frame. I resigned from 3 Boards at the 3-year mark. i.e. really retired.

I can imagine that at 33 years old, you have much more usable energy, and strength than most of us, and can still get out there and play, just like the kids do. Enjoy your free time with your children, but I must ask before others do. If you are both retired, why use daycare ?

OK, well a quick look at your blog tells me you work one day a week at your regular job, have rental properties and also do interviews in media about retiring by investing in rental RE. You have a blog with a lot of links, where clicks apparently bring you extra money.

You also have an infant and a toddler. So are you really wondering why you don't have spare time or is something else going on here, are you looking for blog clicks since you do have a direct link to your blog in your profile. If you are that's fine with me, you are not retired ..you are a guy with several side jobs and two small children...so busy would pretty much describe your life..

Multiple rental properties, financial blog, regular interviews, and working one day a week doesn't sound like you're really retired. You've adjusted your work schedule. That said, kids of those ages, might make me want to retire!

Back
Top Bottom