Future Househusband

davidr04

Confused about dryer sheets
I am retiring at the end of 09 after 30 years with my company. My wife has 2-3 more years at her job so I will be home for the first time. I am getting myself mentally ready to watch her leave for work every day and for me to be at home. I am planning to keep going to the gym every day, improve my cooking skills,( i am pretty awesome with a smoker and grill), and am planning a cleaning routine for the house. I would appreciate any advice from the ladies and gentlemen who are part of this lifestyle. Money is not going to be an issue but the change in lifestyle will certainly be a big change.
Regards,
David

Congratulations--December will be here before you know it! Your plans look good. Also, remember to restrain yourself from doing gleeful cartwheels until she is out of sight in the morning.

I am retiring at the end of 09 after 30 years with my company. My wife has 2-3 more years at her job so I will be home for the first time. I am getting myself mentally ready to watch her leave for work every day and for me to be at home. I am planning to keep going to the gym every day, improve my cooking skills,( i am pretty awesome with a smoker and grill), and am planning a cleaning routine for the house. I would appreciate any advice from the ladies and gentlemen who are part of this lifestyle. Money is not going to be an issue but the change in lifestyle will certainly be a big change.
Regards,
David

Sounds like you got it down pat. I found the most interesting thing is how much more wash you will do. Exercising creates a lot more clothes to wash :) But then again with all that free time. Not a problem. :D

401 k

Hey I hear you Ziggy. My 401 k is now a 201k now. Fotunately I have a pension and wifes salary. I hope to lease 401 K alone until 70.
Cheers,
David

I wanna be a househusband. Maybe *someday*...

Oh, yeah -- welcome! :greetings10:

The housework part will take a little getting used to. How long have you been retired?

Thanks! I am very excited and a little anxious too. After working hard for 30 yrs it will be different for sure.

:greetings10:
Welcome, Davidr04. I can relate. I started doing my own cleaning in Dec. ‘08. The bathroom, hallway and kitchen seem to need weekly attention but living room and bedroom go out to two or three weeks. I plan to hide the dust bunnies in those rooms this week. I write the next most important task on the blackboard which I rarely look at. Seems to me a househusband could also hire and supervise cleaning help whenever necessary. I’ve done that on and off for many years. YMMV, let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Funny, I’ve had some surprises in retirement, one is that I have enough clothes to last at least six years, work clothes can be re-grouped into retirement attire, I love wearing gym tops under sweaters. Yesterday I realized that after six months of retirement, part of my job is to accept the fact that other people work and just go out and watch them, don’t shrink from the horror of it. So maybe I restrain myself from when I do those happy jigs.:dance:

Attachments

• IMG_4767.jpg
    IMG_4767.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 5
David,
Have you searched on "househusband" on the forum? There are scads of posts. Every possible point of view is there.

By all means keep going to the gym, and keep up your appearance, etc....You don't want her going for some hottie at the office, while you're home keeping the hearth fires burning...:rolleyes: :LOL: >:D

I was a housewife/homemaker for over 20 years, until my kids were grown. I work part time now.

I loved being at home, even when the kids were in school. I ran errands, did stuff around the house. I always kept busy, when I wanted to be. There were times when I did nothing, other times I was very busy.

I'm not the type to get bored, I relished my free time. DH liked having me home because I could get all kinds of stuff done so that he could have free time on the weekend.

I truly got to be a home economist, running the household and managing the finances.

One thing I learned is to not care what other people think about what I did. I had lots of people make comments about how I should go back to work, wasn't I bored, what did I DO all day! It was a very freeing revelation that I didn't have to care what they thought about what I was doing.

It was a very freeing revelation that I didn't have to care what they thought about what I was doing.

:clap: What I say. I'm convinced that it's when we stop worrying about what others will think -- when it's about something that does others no harm -- that we truly can say we've arrived.

David, all teasing aside, it's wonderful that you have plans for the house, for cooking, and for fitness. I predict you'll never be at loose ends,and your wife will feel lucky among working wives. Have fun with your new freedom.

Might as well look up whadddayadoalldaylong. I find being creative when you tell people what you do can be fun. :whistle:

The other day while picking out eggs.

Me : Hey whats up
Random egg clerk guy: Hey got the day off?
Me: No I dont work
Random egg clerk guy: pause
Me: Have a nice day :)

David, welcome.

DW retired a couple of years before I did. I must say, the house didn't stay any cleaner and the meals weren't waiting when I got home most of the time either. Still, we've never been into domestic stuff much, even though we raised 3 kids. We got good at one-dish meals. Kids don't seem to have suffered much (at least not from the meals or the occasional dust bunny).

She did find it easy to adapt to retired life - gym, crafts, volunteering, etc. It took me a bit longer to adapt. So I guess what I'm saying is that the two of you need to figure out what works for you. If she has high expectations (I never did) about the housework, etc., you best get good at it. In our case, we just sort of adapted on our own schedules and have enjoyed the process. Of course, YMMV

Best of luck and check back often. We love to hear people's stories and offer (free) advice!:)

I've been in your situation for four years. DW has cut way back and will (probably) retire at the end of the year. I always cooked so that hasn't changed. I add chauffeuring to the tasks after ER but we are only a few miles from her office so that is not a big deal. It has worked out well. DD is home completing her last 4 hours at NYU by doing an internship at the Smithsonian. She has come to expect a ride too although she only gets it when DW is heading to the office at the same time :)

Housework? Money is not going to be an issue? We have maids come and do the bathrooms, kitchen, dusting, and vacuuming. Even with maids, there's enough housework just putting the dishes in the dishwasher and unloading the dishwasher. I get the kids to take out the garbage and mow the yard.

I too retired last month, early after 32 years and wife will teach 3 more years. I lost a lot of sleep about this because I am a bit hyperactive and made an extensive list of acitivities to keep myself busy. I must say, the worry was wasted as I have thoroughly enjoyed role as house husband and house maintenance engr. I make wife a nutritious breakfast and see her off, then exercise most days and then tackle jobs I have planned. I do try to have a plan for the week and day by day (comes from years of Franklin Planners and job as engr). I have taken up cooking, and make a "gourmet meal" one day per week and having fun doing it. Wife is not nearly as stressed since she's not so concerned about trying to take care of me and worrying about me traveling for my job.
Long story short, this is so great and you will love it, I hope. Today is Sunday and I am enjoying knowing I am not going in to work tomorrow!
BTW we still have a housekeeper once every two weeks to keep things nice. Good luck and best wishes!

CONGRATS! I have been in this situation for 3-1/2 yrs. I got here from a buy out. As a professional engineer I had many chances to go back to work but DW made more than I could and we were just tired of giving more to our dear uncle. I started doing all the normal work around the house with plenty of time left for golf etc. I have volunteered building habitat houses and things like that. I cook as directed during the week. DW is a great cook and I will never be any competition for that job. Her retirement is scheduled for this fall but now up in the air with a large loss in the market. DW was off this past week on MULA, mandatory unpaid leave. She started liking being off and maybe she will still retire this year.

GOOD LUCK!

I thought about your post a lot last night because I do worry about what people think. I had a very successful and professional career before I fired at 55. Some people think something must have gone wrong for me to cash in and retire. When asked I just say I'm very fortunate to be able to do this. I need to follow your advice and stop caring what people think. thanks

Regards,
David
Welcome to the board. Countdown commences...
My fiance, a.k.a. dh2b (= darling husband to be) has to w*rk for 10 more years. So I have transformed from career girl to Suzy Homemaker, with a twist.
I will pass on some tips so you will be the A-number-1 househusband of the century.
- Keep the same hours. Get up when she does, hit the hay at same time. Naps at any time are optional and should not be openly discussed. :cool:
- In the AM, make coffee to go, a snack bag, whatever for her to take to w*rk. Major brownie (or cookie) points can be earned here.
- Do laundry and dishwasher duty. Leave folded clothes on the bed so you get credit. Point out the clean sink as often as possible. ;)
- Get a housecleaner to come once a month. :D You can maintain the rest of the time.
- Have fun all day but never brag about it to the missus. That's what we are here for. :greetings10:

Sailwc and Freebird5825 make two very important things to understand. You are becoming a minority, both at home and outside. You will be looked at by some as not being able to afford anything and by others as an object of jealousy. At home, you must be aware that you are expected to be more of a load carryer.

To help be accepted outside, perhaps organize the golf betting pool. At home, by all means, make sure your efforts are noticed. Don't put all the washed clothes away. Re caulk the shower, it is noticed everyday. If you are handy, change the oil in the car and calculate the savings as if you went to the dealer, $49.95 vs $13.50 for supplies. If cooking is a problem, order the carry-out favorite, it will be ready after you pick her up. Maybe a picnic?

Relax and enjoy it, you have earned it, and will HAVE TO KEEP EARNING IT EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE!

ps, BONUS POINTS - Vacuum often, but never put the vaccum away till she is home, with a big house I move it from floor to floor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom