GREETINGS from sarf west London

anykey

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello me ol' china plates, nice place you've got 'ere 8)

Loads of great advice 'ere.
A lot of it The Common Sense sort. You know. It makes sense, but it's not all that common. Great stuff :D

Trouble for me is it's mainly US driven, which means a lot of it makes no sense to me :confused:

Where is the UK - English - section (if any) ;)

Cannot hang about, there's all this good reading 'n' info on this site to catch up on... :)

Welcome across the pond anykey! Perhaps once you've caught up on your reading you could work on the aspects for your side of the puddle:confused: There appear to be a wee bit of difference in what and how our governments administer things such as taxes and benefits eh?

Welcome anykey.

I hope you find some useful general advice on the forum. I'm from Sunderland (ready to have another go at the Premier League next season). I've just started taking my first pension from one of my ex-employers in the UK and I had a little poke around trying to find the equivalent of mutual funs over there to park some of my new income stream. The equivalent funds seem to have much higher expenses than we have here (unit trusts and the like) plus different ways the tax system works.

I'd be interested in hearing about your situation and what plans you have in place to RE. (I still have plenty of relatives and friends in 'ole Blighty but none who are relying on anything than pensions for their retirement)

Thanks for your welcome :)

I'm sorry to say that much of what I have read here makes no sense to me. :-\ To my ears, you're talking a foreign language. :LOL: I haven't a clue what your acronyms mean :confused:

>>Is there another equivalent site run by English speaking folk using UK examples. :-*

Sadly the great advice you get here, doesn't apply to me :(

anykey said:
Thanks for your welcome :)

I'm sorry to say that much of what I have read here makes no sense to me. :-\ To my ears, you're talking a foreign language. :LOL: I haven't a clue what your acronyms mean :confused:

>>Is there another equivalent site run by English speaking folk using UK examples. :-*

Sadly the great advice you get here, doesn't apply to me :(

Hey, Anykey, don't give up so easily.There is a thread on the acronyms, you will soon pick them up.

I don't know of a UK equivalent board. If you find one please tell us about it. Otherwise start a thread here, there are a few Brits who post here.

The basic principles are the same on both sides of the pond, Live Below Your Means, invest for your future, etc. execution is different. AFAIK expenses are much higher in UK. I think Richard Branson started a "low cost" index fund with 1% fees, i.e. about 5x the equivalent over here. Does it still exist? Are there cheaper alternatives?

Taking the, US based, rule of thumb that an ER needs a capital balance (or equivalent, when guaranteed income streams are involved) of 25x annual expenses to have a high chance of financial survival I would be very interested to know the relative number for UK. So what are the long term averages for return on equities, interest on bonds, inflation etc. in UK, taking into account the higher cost of investing.

Ultimately a UK version of Firecalc would be cool.

Back
Top Bottom