Join Early Retirement Today

Haven't seen this question before.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Haven't seen this question before.

Hi I'm B

Lurker for years. Haven't seen this question before. Self employed for 35+ years. Got out of all debt house, auto, cc, everything about 25 years ago.
Have used a debit card for all those years for business and personal use.
Have rented cars numerous times, traveled over seas, used like a credit card never been turned down.

Want to start doing a lot of traveling. Want to accumulate travel miles, etc.
Applied for a CC a few days ago turned down do to no credit bureau file on any of the three. I understand and can accept that.

I do business with companies world wide with my debit card.
Should I try to get a CC to get the travel points or just continue doing the same.

Sorry for the long first post and this a legit question.

B

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would get a secured card, establish some history with it, then apply for a more traditional credit card.

Perfect Ways To Obtain A Credit Card With No Credit - Forbes

6 ways to deal with limited or no credit | Bankrate.com

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...uild-credit.go

Old 04-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree that get a secured card for a while and then establish a record of payment. Or another option if you want/need a new car is get a car loan with some of the real low interest rates. That will also build payment history.

I don't think you have zero credit, as your record does not indicate late payments for utilities and such. What you do not have is open credit accounts.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Get a secured card, preferably from a local Credit Union. Ask for a card that wil automatically get changed to an regular, unsecured credit card after a certain amount of time, about 6 months. Of course, it goes with out saying that you should pay every bill on time, never go over your limit, etc.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Get a secured card, preferably from a local Credit Union. Ask for a card that wil automatically get changed to an regular, unsecured credit card after a certain amount of time, about 6 months. Of course, it goes with out saying that you should pay every bill on time, never go over your limit, etc.
If you are doing this with a credit union or small bank, make a significant deposit if you do not have it there already. Always helps get their attention.

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

The credit landscape has changed a lot since I got my first credit card, so my experience may not be relevant. But after I got turned down because of no credit history, I went to the bank where I had most of my accounts. They issued me a regular credit card (not prepaid), which I suspected at the time was because they could see that I had a lot of money deposited with them and hence was unlikely to default on my card.

If your local bank also won't issue you a credit card, they at any rate would be a good choice opening up a prepaid card.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmass View Post
Hi I'm B

Lurker for years. Haven't seen this question before. Self employed for 35+ years. Got out of all debt house, auto, cc, everything about 25 years ago.
Have used a debit card for all those years for business and personal use.
Have rented cars numerous times, traveled over seas, used like a credit card never been turned down.

Want to start doing a lot of traveling. Want to accumulate travel miles, etc.
Applied for a CC a few days ago turned down do to no credit bureau file on any of the three. I understand and can accept that.

I do business with companies world wide with my debit card.
Should I try to get a CC to get the travel points or just continue doing the same.

Sorry for the long first post and this a legit question.

B
Are you an Amazon customer? You might try there. 3% cash reward on purchases.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #8

I doubt it's the bank's decision whether you have sufficient credit history to get a card. That's probably up to Visa/MC or whomever. Otherwise, I'd tell the bank through which my debit card was issued that if they can't see fit to provide with a debit, I'd be looking elsewhere for my banking needs.

Other option- start taking out cash loans and paying them back quickly. Use share secured loans at a credit union: put $10000 in a savings account, and borrow $10000 using the account funds as collateral. Interest rate is usually a couple of percent higher than what the account pays, which isn't much lol. Pay it off in thirty days. Might cost you $30 in interest. Check with the bank or with Visa/MC and ask them how much credit history you need to get a card.

Just off the top of my head...
Old 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Actually the issuing bank makes the credit decision.

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

A lot of good ideas I hadn't thought of.
Thanks very much.
B
Old 04-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
. Pay it off in thirty days. Might cost you $30 in interest. Check with the bank or with Visa/MC and ask them how much credit history you need to get a card.

Just off the top of my head...

It takes about six months if regular payments to establish credit.