Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_nyc View Post
Thanks all - for great suggestions, ideas and critique.
We actually live quite modestly by U.S. standards,
I am afraid that will not be good enough. Our goal here is to live modestly by Mumbai standards.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

At a total of $4000/month your estimated monthly spending on groceries/insurance/discretionary all seem very high. I know groceries in Manhattan are expensive, but there are ways of bringing that down considerably without sacrificing quality. Costco is great. Ethnic grocery stores in Queens are great (subway out and cab back if needed).

What kind of insurance do you have that costs $2000/month for a family of three?

Old 12-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

You really should consider the Dunthorpe neighborhood just south of Portland's city limits. Riverdale School District This real estate search tool is handy, just enter Riverdale in the elementary school field. Listed homes start at $800,000. RMLS.com™ Regional Multiple Listing Service - Residential Search

You can find less expensive homes and outstanding schools in Portland, just type in Ainsworth in the elementary school field above.

You won't find much ethnic or racial diversity in Oregon when compared to NYC or the Bay Area. I used to take my kids on business trips so that they can see that 'things are different'. My grandchildren have attended a private school in Portland (pre K) where 3/4 of the kids have Indian ethnicity - basically the children of Intel engineers. Our ethnic composition is driven by employment opportunities.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am afraid that will not be good enough. Our goal here is to live modestly by Mumbai standards.

Ha
Mumbai isn't all that cheap if you want American/European living standard. Bangalore can be downright expensive.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

110k-150k for expenses? My base expenses are 15k and I am on Long Island.
I find your number to be amazing.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

110-150K is not unusual for the silicon valley.

Keep in mind the fact that parents either enroll their kids in private schools or live in areas that feed into Cupertino or Los Altos High Schools.

My son & DIL lived for a couple years in Benicia while students at CMA. Interesting community, not sure about the schools.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
110-150K is not unusual for the silicon valley.

Keep in mind the fact that parents either enroll their kids in private schools or live in areas that feed into Cupertino or Los Altos High Schools.

My son & DIL lived for a couple years in Benicia while students at CMA. Interesting community, not sure about the schools.
Okay then there is this house. Also $750K, no water views, schools all rated 9 - 10:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Ramon/...3/home/1960423

And free sunshine.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Okay then there is this house. Also $750K, no water views, schools all rated 9 - 10:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Ramon/...3/home/1960423

And free sunshine.
No extra charge for Portland's low skin cancer rate but just scoot over the Cascades and roast your bod to your heart's content in the summer, ski in the winter: Sunriver, Black Butte,

Actually my daughter lives in Los Altos, she went to Santa Clara because of the weather. Let me say, I know the neighborhood.