Join Early Retirement Today

Hello from NY! Bond funds or what???
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello from NY! Bond funds or what???

Hello to everyone. New to this site and looking forward to participating. My husband who is 53 would like to retire before age 65 and it seems to us that with the windfall inheritance of $900,000 which is currently in a sweep fund (ny muni) at a brokerage and in 2 short term cds and a portfolio of stocks (which need to be updated) that total about 900,000, we should be able to generate enough income to be comfortable. No kids at home but we have first grandchild on the way and would also like to still be able to help out our 2 grown kids financially. My dilemma is trying to find safety for the bulk of the portfolio but make more than 5%. We have been advised to look into bond funds but are novices at this. Seems to me that the yields are so low. Any advice for us?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

5+ rates and safety is a tough combination. We would all love 6-7% no risk returns but just not out there. Penfed Credit Union occasionally offers specials in the 6% range but you may not find those anymore with the drop in rates.

I'm going to defer to the financial guru's here to give you some advice. Oh yes, welcome to the forum.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wellesleys paying a 4.3% yield plus capital gains at the end of the year.

You could probably mix up a concoction of an intermediate term treasury fund, tips fund and high yield fund to produce something in the 5-5.5% range

Depends on your view of safety and safety horizon. An investment eking out a couple of percent over inflation isnt going to be terribly safe for the long haul. Grabbing for yield can be counterproductive.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #4

Hi and welcome

I would go through the archives and look for anything that references SWR (safe withdrawal rate). One example is this thread
Old 11-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linmd56 View Post
Hello to everyone. New to this site and looking forward to participating. My husband who is 53 would like to retire before age 65 and it seems to us that with the windfall inheritance of $900,000 which is currently in a sweep fund (ny muni) at a brokerage and in 2 short term cds and a portfolio of stocks (which need to be updated) that total about 900,000, we should be able to generate enough income to be comfortable. No kids at home but we have first grandchild on the way and would also like to still be able to help out our 2 grown kids financially. My dilemma is trying to find safety for the bulk of the portfolio but make more than 5%. We have been advised to look into bond funds but are novices at this. Seems to me that the yields are so low. Any advice for us?
More than 5% is hard but here is a New York muni fund, invested in AAA rated muni bonds and also has third party insurance to guaranty principal and interest payments. It is currently yielding right at 5%.

NKO - Nuveen Insured New York Dividend Advantage Municipal Fund

Nuveen also has several other muni bond funds you can look at at the Nuveen site. I assumed you do reside in new York and would want the double tax exempt status of a New York fund. If you reside elsewhere, Nueveen has state funds for several other states as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks to all! I'm still looking...this is a tough time to be trying to find some decent yields. Am considering letting Schwab manage part of the portfolio. Anyone have any experience with their management team?