Hey from a NomadRetiree living in Austin :)

NomadRetiree

Confused about dryer sheets
Hey everyone! I'm so happy to have found this community. I love discussion forums, ranging from reddit to subject-specific ones like this. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself as I'm about to ingest tons of information on this board, and hopefully contribute a little, too.

My story: I traded in tech stocks in high school and was a millionaire before graduating at age 16, using around $15K that my dad had set aside for me, and investing it in Dell Computer, before Dell was "Dell." I decided to proceed conservatively and experience life like "everyone else" (ie going to college, getting married, having a family, etc.). I didn't really know much better and I wasn't that emotionally stable to make my own, carefully considered decisions. Got a girlfriend ASAP, smoked/drank through college but maintained a solid GPA, got married, went to Harvard Law School (got in legitimately, and paid with cash!), got a job with a top strategy consulting firm, and then: BAM. Burned out of the job, got divorced, had a business partnership (and around $200K) go down the drain, went through some serious depression, had a schizophrenia scare from smoking too much 420.

That was around 5 years ago (wow!) and I've been trying to pick up the pieces and reflect, and experiment, ever since. So thanks for being here.

Ultimately, I've reflected on the fact that without a strong motivation to earn, much of what I've done in the last 15 or so years has been "entertainment" - going to university, getting a law degree, and getting a strategy consulting gig was more for pride/curiosity than for cultivation of a life's craft, and it was a costly process in time and money (and still kind of fun, as I didn't really care about my grades).

Now, I'm getting serious about my health and understanding that, "wait, I'm already basically retired, which is what like 99% of the people around are actively working towards.... why not just accept it, instead of trying to be like everyone else?"

Now I'm taking time to cultivate a Vipassana meditation practice, learn how to remain fit without a gym, become a skilled chef, and basically manage myself and my expenses so that I can maximize my happiness on a modest but guaranteed monthly income. I've learned about the digital nomad movement and can see myself joining it, as I've basically already achieved it, and I'd love to begin acting with more consideration and intention.

In a few months, I plan to leave Austin - I'm not sure where to - but I originally thought that Mexico would be nice, since the dollar goes pretty far there, and now with my routines, I can see myself being happy with very little, for a fairly long time. Does this sound nuts? I hope not.

I'd love to connect with the folks on this message board, and I wish you all the best in your own journeys; if I can help you in any way, I look forward to it. Be well.

You are sort of one of the Dellionaires. I presume you still have a decent amount of your original assets from that huge windfall? And those are invested into some more widely held funds than all in high tech? So now you are living off the proceeds of the investments, in a modest level that can continue for the rest of your life. Austin is fairly expensive, or can be, and your money can go farther in lower COL area that is still in USA.

Good for you addressing health and wellness, you want to maximize those years you have left.

As several past posts from others have said, the key is to match your budget (expenses) to your income, where some acceptable risk and withdrawal rate meets your requirements.

if you own a house in ATX you can make bank selling it right now

sounds like we are about the same age - if you went to HS in Houston we probably know some of the same people - good luck!

Dell went to Memorial HS and graduated about the same time I did

I have a concern about your moving to Mexico. A shirttail relative was kidnapped for ransom and killed. The bad folks are now grabbing expats.

If you want a balmy climate in a Spanish speaking country consider Central American countries.

Do you need convenient to the US? If so, consider Vancouver BC. Back in the day they had favorable tax treatment for capital gains. Not sure what their residency requirements are these days.

One of the major things going for you is (I assume) no dependents. If you make a mistake, it won't affect anyone else and you can recover more quickly. Although I've avoided acquiring dependents, I've never lived a 'footloose and fancy free' lifestyle, so I can't provide any help there.

Now I'm taking time to cultivate a Vipassana meditation practice...

Your post brought back some pleasant memories of my encounter with Vipassana (of course, I'm currently under the influence of chocolate, so practically everything is bringing me pleasure, but this will wear off in a few hours :LOL: ). I was introduced to meditation by the Insight Meditation Community of Washington (IMCW) while I was living in the Washington DC area in the mid-2000's. Back then, teacher Tara Brach was meeting with little group of students at the River Road UU Church in Bethesda, MD. IMCW has now grown into a huge organization. I consider myself in debt to Tara Brach and IMCW for the introduction to meditation.

The first time I attended an all-day silent meditation retreat, I went into it thinking, "This is going to be a huge waste of time." Afterwards, I thought the experience was valuable, and attended quite a few more while living in the DC area. I've never attended a multi-day silent retreat, because I'm still thinking that it would be an enormous waste of time. I'm probably wrong. :)

For the last decade or so, I've considered meditation to be a key tool in my mental toolbox (like a wrench - most of the time you don't need it, but when you need it, you really need it). I never liked the way meditation was taught, too often veering into anti-intellectual new-Agey mysticism. However, I found great value as long as I (mostly) ignored my teachers - YMMV.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck! :greetings10:

Last edited:
Didn't even know what 420 meant? If any are wondering, here's a wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

Nomad, I'm not sure of the person on this forum, but he either lives in Puerto Vallata or spends a lot of time there. Looking at the weather there makes me envious, even as a SoCal boy.

Have a friend that bought both Dell and Microsoft early. He did well but I don't think he went "all in" as it appears you have. Would love to hear the story behind it--how you were able to invest at such a young age, what was it like as a kid to become so rich, how you appear to have saved it and not waste it.

Best of luck to you. Wife and I went to Austin to check it out recently. Not to knock the city, but was put off by the traffic and so many homeless.

Back
Top Bottom