Hi from Gig Harbor

pererik

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi from Gig Harbor!

49 year old O6 getting ready to retire next year from the Canoe Club after a good ride. Both kids in college covered by scholarships, 529 plans and a little of the Post 911 GI Bill. Intend to work part-time as Physics/Math/Engineering professor at highly rated local community college a few miles away, expect $60K/year from pension and ~$20K a year as an adjunct professor. Spouse runs own business from home making about $7K. Owe about $120K on a nice home worth ~$390K that we intend to stay in for a while. Have $90K in TSP and $30K in SDIRA. No car loans, in a hold and maintain mode. On the down side we are working off a $20K combined credit card bill and a $50K home equity loan, planning to work these down as hard as we can before I bail. Been using Nords book and plan to live well on $60-70K and save the rest.

Looking to work part-time teaching for a few years and retire at 55-60ish.

Hello to Nords, ejw193, friar1610, and everyone else!

Glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you have your plan all worked out. Good idea to get rid of that CC debt as fast as you can. Nords isn't here very much these days, but occasionally pops in. Welcome.

Welcome, and let us know what questions we can help with!

Any epiphanies from TAP, or anything that others should watch out for during those seminars?

Any insurance questions, surprises, or advice that you'd like to see covered in a new eBook? Or any insurance stories to share?

Welcome aboard. DH still working for another year or so. I am retired March 2010 at 50. Lots of good info here. I live about 20 miles north of you in Maple Valley, WA.

Hi from Gig Harbor!

49 year old O6 getting ready to retire next year from the Canoe Club after a good ride. Both kids in college covered by scholarships, 529 plans and a little of the Post 911 GI Bill. Intend to work part-time as Physics/Math/Engineering professor at highly rated local community college a few miles away, expect $60K/year from pension and ~$20K a year as an adjunct professor. Spouse runs own business from home making about $7K. Owe about $120K on a nice home worth ~$390K that we intend to stay in for a while. Have $90K in TSP and $30K in SDIRA. No car loans, in a hold and maintain mode. On the down side we are working off a $20K combined credit card bill and a $50K home equity loan, planning to work these down as hard as we can before I bail. Been using Nords book and plan to live well on $60-70K and save the rest.

Looking to work part-time teaching for a few years and retire at 55-60ish.

Hello to Nords, ejw193, friar1610, and everyone else!

Hi to you as well. Welcome aboard the forum and the early retired community!

Welcome, and let us know what questions we can help with!

Any epiphanies from TAP, or anything that others should watch out for during those seminars?

Any insurance questions, surprises, or advice that you'd like to see covered in a new eBook? Or any insurance stories to share?

Thanks Nords - I have been asked to extend twice now and don't have enough time until 30 to complete a full command tour so it's time for me to go. Just finished figuring out a relief path - I'm in a small community and
it's all daisy-chain detailing. Finished touring my favorite Flag officer around the region so we had a chance to discuss and I'm ready now to drop retirement papers for 1SEP14.

I completed executive TAP last year and agree with most of the posts here - several days of good stuff packed into a week, with the "you need to buy an interview suit" and "we don't want you sleeping under a bridge" advice falling kind of flat. SGLI/TSP/VA discussions OK, best presentation was from Disabled Veterans of America local rep. Clearly focus is on back-to-work with only a few ER/FIRE oriented folks in the room. I kept a low profile but had to intervene when a local HR person was briefing job opportunities and did not have a clue about the expansion and goings-on at my 11,000 person command.

For a new eBook on insurance its still the age-old debates of whole vs term, SGLI transition to VGLI, etc, but this discussion has to be in the larger financial context. My situation is fairly traditional - pending AD retirement with spouse with small home business, kids college covered with scholarships and WA GET, learning to LBYM, but I am fascinated by the more complex dual-military/reserve scenarios - it's a giant linear optimization problem and you're short of variables for a closed form solution!

I got the most out of your book with theory-to-practice and the scenario-based discussions.

I'll stay on the lookout for any other lessons learned along the way...

Thanks Nords - I have been asked to extend twice now and don't have enough time until 30 to complete a full command tour so it's time for me to go. Just finished figuring out a relief path - I'm in a small community and
it's all daisy-chain detailing. Finished touring my favorite Flag officer around the region so we had a chance to discuss and I'm ready now to drop retirement papers for 1SEP14.

I completed executive TAP last year and agree with most of the posts here - several days of good stuff packed into a week, with the "you need to buy an interview suit" and "we don't want you sleeping under a bridge" advice falling kind of flat. SGLI/TSP/VA discussions OK, best presentation was from Disabled Veterans of America local rep. Clearly focus is on back-to-work with only a few ER/FIRE oriented folks in the room. I kept a low profile but had to intervene when a local HR person was briefing job opportunities and did not have a clue about the expansion and goings-on at my 11,000 person command.

For a new eBook on insurance its still the age-old debates of whole vs term, SGLI transition to VGLI, etc, but this discussion has to be in the larger financial context. My situation is fairly traditional - pending AD retirement with spouse with small home business, kids college covered with scholarships and WA GET, learning to LBYM, but I am fascinated by the more complex dual-military/reserve scenarios - it's a giant linear optimization problem and you're short of variables for a closed form solution!

I got the most out of your book with theory-to-practice and the scenario-based discussions.

I'll stay on the lookout for any other lessons learned along the way...
Thanks-- it's all on the list for the rough draft, and let me know more whenever another epiphany strikes!

The scenario discussions take the most time (and the most writing) but I think they're the best way for readers to apply the information to their own situations...

Hey guys -- just joined a few minutes ago. . . did a tour at Camp Smith and am an (Army) JICPAC plankowner . . . my variables are different (retired in 98, now high-50s, but with kids still at home). . . I will check out "Nord's" book.

Thanks and good to hear some familiar voices on the net.

Hey guys -- just joined a few minutes ago. . . did a tour at Camp Smith and am an (Army) JICPAC plankowner . . . my variables are different (retired in 98, now high-50s, but with kids still at home). . . I will check out "Nord's" book.

Thanks and good to hear some familiar voices on the net.

Welcome to the forum - we're all learning as we go...

Back
Top Bottom