Hi from ND

flyeagle111

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hey guys. I am a college sophomore that's checking out the forums! I have always had an interest in financial topics and retirement seems like a good interest to have. I will be joining Air Force ROTC this fall and extending my schooling an extra year to pick up a master's (ROTC requires three years and I will be joining late). Luckily, it looks like I will be graduating college debt free. Look forward to learning a lot!

-Fly

Welcome to the forum; there is a lot of good information at this site.

Welcome to the forum. Several of us here are retired or AD USAF, or AFRES or ANG.
What's this about AFROTC requiring 3 years--they no longer offer a 6 week summer camp followed by a two-year ROTC option? Unless you really want the master's degree right now, you could get your commission and then get your master's using TA. Again, finances aren't everything, but if you spreadsheet some options out you'll see that starting your career a year earlier makes a big difference if you stick with a constant retirement age (or, alternatively, it obviously lets you retire one year earlier).

Again, welcome.

Good to know! Yep, three years required now because of the cutbacks. In fact, the AF is cutting roughly 60 percent of cadets that want to go to field training. In order to go you need a good GPA and high PT scores (thankfully I have a 3.9). I think the average gpa of cadets that end up going is like 3.3 with a high PT. I have looked into OTS and that pipeline has seemed to stop. I've considered the Army too, but can't see myself anywhere but the AF.

Back
Top Bottom