Hi I'm glad to be here

johnbrady

Confused about dryer sheets
This Forum looks mighty interesting for someone like me. I am 58 years old and within a few months this year I went from thinking i would retire at about 62 or 63, to being retired now. Suddenly everything fell into place; i was able to exit a stressful partnership and I feel pretty good about where I am now.

Now my wife and I are thinking about where we might move for the winter months (we are CT based). Most people we know move to where there friends are. But that seems like it is a limiting strategy - what if those folks didn't do their homework?

If anyone has any ideas on strategies for selecting a retirement home or community, i am all ears.

Thanks

Welcome to the board, boomerbaby. I think.

You're pushing that blog pretty hard. Try reading some of the posts here before you ask us to read your posts at your place. Never mind, I see you and Cut-Throat have already had that discussion.

You can search the threads by keywords or take a look at the links in this thread:
http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=9561.0

If anyone has any ideas on strategies for selecting a retirement home or community, i am all ears.

Here's an idea for you boomer. Selcet 2- 3 general locations that are different (ie Tuscon, AZ; Kerrville, TX; and Ft. Myers, FL) and take a week trip to each place. Use the location as a home base and check out nearby locations, attractions, public events, medical facilities etc.

If, after the visits, you do not like any of the places that you visited, pick 2-3 more and start over. The worst thing that could happen is that you would have too many vacations. 8)

Boomerbaby:

I can think of a number of reasons to leave Connecticut upon retirement, but weather isn't one of them. It is really not that bad in the winter. That said, a vacation in a warmer climate in February is greatly appreciated.

I agree with mickeyd -- rent in a few different places and see what you like.

Gumby said:
I can think of a number of reasons to leave Connecticut upon retirement, but weather isn't one of them.
Gumby, are we talking about the same Submarine Base New London?

I'm pretty sure that the detailers only let me go there if it was winter (e.g, "not August")... or at least colder than 40 degrees...

I'll grant you that maneuvering watch OOD exiting the Thames River on a cold January day is no picnic. But it really is not that bad ashore. In our town, the average high/low in January is 37/25 and in July is 82/66. Since we live directly on the water, our own microclimate is slightly warmer than that in the winter and cooler in the summer due to the moderating effect of Long Island Sound.

That said, there certainly have been a few cold January days when I have suggested to my wife that a subtropical island might be nice -- year round 70 degrees. The closest to weather perfection I have ever experienced has been Hawaii (lived there as a kid in the 1960's) and Madeira, Portugal.

Gumby said:
I'll grant you that maneuvering watch OOD exiting the Thames River on a cold January day is no picnic.
I remember going up the Firth of Clyde from Holy Loch (a five-hour transit) wearing a full exposure suit over thermal underwear, coveralls, 2x pair of wool socks, and a sweater. We had so much Michelin Man gear on that we'd barely fit through the hatches. We'd wear a watch cap and cinch the hood around our faces until we could barely hear each other. We'd wrap a towel around our necks to keep out the stray waves breezes and we'd wear boots with thick rubber soles to keep our feet from freezing.

Even then I used to pray for a blast of warm diesel exhaust to wash over me.

But, hey, after three years of that we got paid an extra $225/month!

Back
Top Bottom