Hi Kids

Northwestern Mutual is a good life insurance company. Having said that, I wouldn't even think about working there. Even the best life insurers (including NWM) would be astoundingly thrilled if 25% of the new agents they sign up are even still around 4 years later, let alone successful.

brewer12345 said:
Northwestern Mutual is a good life insurance company. Having said that, I wouldn't even think about working there. Even the best life insurers (including NWM) would be astoundingly thrilled if 25% of the new agents they sign up are even still around 4 years later, let alone successful.

I've heard similar numbers as well - does this also mean that you think it would be a poor start to a career? I'm not even sure what kind of other job I could get in terms of finance/investing, guess I better get that resume out as soon as possible.

EDIT- It seems like social support is a big part of being a life insurance salesmen, and I can already tell that my parents don't think that I should work there. I'm not really sure where they expect me to work realistically, but they think I could do a lot better then that and so do I as well, but getting started is going to be the hardest part for me.

John

Ponks said:
I've heard similar numbers as well - does this also mean that you think it would be a poor start to a career? I'm not even sure what kind of other job I could get in terms of finance/investing, guess I better get that resume out as soon as possible.

John

Save NWM for a last resort. They will always be there, hungry for fresh meat to feed into the grinder.

Ponks said:
Then I had a second interview with Northwestern Mutual for a financial representative position. I really liked the way they do business in that they identify people with a problem or with a goal and then strive to help them reach that goal. I don't really want to be a salesmen of sorts...
John

John, there really is no successful salesman who is only a salesman of sorts. All financial service companies are inherently sales organizations, no matter how they spin it to customers or recruits. Face it; any company can copy any other company's products so your products will almost never be exclusive or better in any meaningful way. As the "producers" say, if you try to sell only superior products, you won't sell much.

I would almost say that anyone who shows up on this board is very likely not a good candidate for any of these "rep" positions. You will either get realistic and start pushing product or will flunk out quickly. If you decide to hang around and do it, be sure you have a pretty good capacity for rationalization and self delusion. Without these traits looking out for you, you may find that gastric acidity, headaches, heart palpitations or the heartbreak of psoriasis stalk you.

Ha

HaHa said:
You will either get realistic and start pushing product or will flunk out quickly.

Ugh, I feel this pretty accurately portrays my implicit feelings about the job as well. Heh, back to the drawing board

John

Back
Top Bottom