I'm Back

cr7090cap

Confused about dryer sheets
It's been a year since my last post. I'm more of a lurker/learner than poster. Anyway, my last post indicated my job was about to go away, which it did. ER was a serious consideration at that point, but I was re-employed within 6 weeks, same profession. Now a year has passed and I've watched my portfolio grow a bit more, and the BS bucket fill almost to the brim. I think I want to pull the plug. One day I want to, the next day, well, maybe not. Here is what is going through my mind--- I call it thinking, DW calls it worrying. Things I can't control- fiscal cliff, debt ceiling, market volatility, will our elected representatives do the right thing? ( probably not ) loss of the paycheck security, etc, etc.. In talking to other people I get the " How old are you, you look to young to retire. " " You're only 57!!!:confused: you still have 5 years till SS, 8 years till Medicare, how can you possibly retire!!:confused:" Here is where I explain LBYM, live debt free, delayed gratification etc.. Most don't think it's posssible to live like that.
FIREcalc gives me 98-100% success rate ( with social security at zero ). I won't have to tap my 60/40 AA porfolio until about 6 years from now. We have cash on hand and DW's job to carry us at least that far, or maybe a year or two longer.
So there it is. After getting all of that out, I feel better. There is probably a 97.89% chance that I will be joining the class of 2013, and that chance seems to be growing daily.

Congrats. From what you describe it sounds like you are all set especially since I think SS will be there in some form.

Congratulations, agree you are ready to set the date, at least for yourself and DW. You don't have to tell anyone else (except of course your friends here) until you are ready to give notice (and there are plenty of threads with thoughts of how/when to do that on here).

Don't let that BS bucket overflow!

Back
Top Bottom