Impulsive or intuitive?

cocobird

Dryer sheet aficionado
Greetings from a former lurker to this wonderful community and a Happy Independence Day!

A little bit about me -I'm an impulsive person. Actually, I'm an intuitive planner. I set tangible goals, but make lots of financial decisions by my gut. I'm wondering if there are others like me?

For instance, in a hot real estate market, I once sold my condo on a 3 hour real estate listing. An agent knocked and asked if we were thinking of selling. We said not at this time, although we eventually planned to move to a single family residence, just not yet. She said why not see what the offer was. We agreed to list the home for three hours. By the end of the listing we had sold it.

Now that we sold our place, we needed a new place to live. With a hot market, we kept getting outbid. After a month, we were ready to give up. Then the agent called and said she was taking us to a home at 7 that night. She had overheard an agent agreeing to meet the sellers to take the listing at 6 pm. We had just started touring the home, when I sat down and said this is our place. The agent and my DH stared at me as I told them I had dreamed of the house and then told them where all the rooms were located. I don't mean a dream home (this was a little thousand square foot two bedroom, one bath place with plenty to fix up), I meant dreamed in my sleep. We immediately closed the deal by midnight.

I've done this several times because my agency keeps moving me. So now, I'm wondering, have any of you done similar things?

Before you decide I'm a kook, let me tell you I'm 50, FI with two homes, a NW over $2 million and planning to take ER at year-end with an cola'd annuity.

Last edited:
Probably no response because we were all out watching the fireworks.

A few here got to FI through real estate. Many more by the slow and steady wins the race method. Anyway, welcome to the board and good luck on the retirement. How are you planning on filling your days?

A little bit about me -I'm an impulsive person. Actually, I'm an intuitive planner. I set tangible goals, but make lots of financial decisions by my gut. I'm wondering if there are others like me?
quote]

SOMETIMES I'm impulsive but not THAT impulsive ;) Glad that things worked out for you in the end. Lately, DH and I have been toying around with the idea of buying a recreational property - that's about as impulsive as we get. Oh yeah, and DH bought a dirt bike a couple of months ago (that was kind of impulsive).

We're considering buy a recreational property in Western Canada in the Okanagan region (gorgeous out there). It would serve as a recreational property with a long term view of using it during the winter months as we get older (much milder in the winter compared to Calgary). Then the rational part of my brain takes over and I realize that we would have a mortgage again and I start to hyperventilate. :p

DW has an intuitive streak and has picked some really good 10-bagger stocks for us. I tend to defer to her intuition and she is right more often than wrong (so a winning percentage).

I also have a strong intuitive bent, but I followup with DD and have developed a discipline that has paid well in individual stock picking.

In real estate, I always picked "fixer uppers" and we made them personal in the process. I found this to be cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom