Introduce yourself here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from a new early retiree!

Wow, I stumbled on this site today and wish I had found it a long time ago! Effective December 31 of last year, I retired at the age of 55 -- but only after months and months of "should I, could I?" Part of my concern was about the amount of $$ I thought we'd need in retirement -- concerns that have been put aside after dozens of "what if" scenarios and spreadsheets galore! But another key issue was "what would I do with my days?" after a high-powered career that took me all over the world.

I am delighted to report that so far, this decision has been simply wonderful! I am enjoying time to do whatever -- or nothing -- I choose to do and it didn't take me but a blink to start thinking "how did I ever fit a 60+ hour per week career into my life!"

I am looking forward to reading lots of the posts on this site for good info on relocating to a warmer climate, managing finances and other secrets of the successful retiree, but for now, thanks for being here!

Achiever 51

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm 59, live in the Sun Belt and would love to chuck it all at any time, but I've got a second family with kids 11 and 13, so it's probably going to be at least 65 or 66. My question is a common one: 'How much will I need?' Any useful calculators out there?

Baja Bogalusa said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm 59, live in the Sun Belt and would love to chuck it all at any time, but I've got a second family with kids 11 and 13, so it's probably going to be at least 65 or 66. My question is a common one: 'How much will I need?' Any useful calculators out there?

Look at the calculators available under Sections 2.4 and 2.5:

http://www.golio.net/My_Homepage_Files/Page10.html

I still think the most powerful retirement calculator is FIRECalc, the one associated with this site (see Section 2.5 in link above). :)

To do a thorough job you will need to gather a few financial records. But you can put these calcualtors to use pretty quickly using a few crude estimates, then refine your calculations later.

Good luck.

Hi I'm AirJordan,

24, 70k invested, looking to get riiiiiiiiiiiiichhhh. I firmly believe that index funds are for people who have no knowledge of the market, and that stock picking/ active management is the way to go. And apparently I'm not that liked here :(

AirJordan said:
Hi I'm AirJordan,

24, 70k invested, looking to get riiiiiiiiiiiiichhhh. I firmly believe that index funds are for people who have no knowledge of the market, and that stock picking/ active management is the way to go. And apparently I'm not that liked here :(

trollbl6.jpg

Re: Hello

I'm Randyb. I'm new to this community but have been watching from the outside for a while. My goal in life is help move people out of the unpredictable stock market into carefully selected California real estate so that they can either retire comfortably or become financially independent.

Re: Hello from a new early retiree!

Achiever51 said:
Wow, I stumbled on this site today and wish I had found it a long time ago! Effective December 31 of last year, I retired at the age of 55 -- but only after months and months of "should I, could I?" Part of my concern was about the amount of $$ I thought we'd need in retirement -- concerns that have been put aside after dozens of "what if" scenarios and spreadsheets galore! But another key issue was "what would I do with my days?" after a high-powered career that took me all over the world.

I am delighted to report that so far, this decision has been simply wonderful! I am enjoying time to do whatever -- or nothing -- I choose to do and it didn't take me but a blink to start thinking "how did I ever fit a 60+ hour per week career into my life!"

I am looking forward to reading lots of the posts on this site for good info on relocating to a warmer climate, managing finances and other secrets of the successful retiree, but for now, thanks for being here!

Achiever 51

I was done December 31 too. Suddenly life moves at a different pace. :) Welcome to the board!

Randyb said:
I'm Randyb. I'm new to this community but have been watching from the outside for a while. My goal in life is help move people out of the unpredictable stock market into carefully selected California real estate so that they can either retire comfortably or become financially independent.

Really? Are you a real estate agent? Or just messing with us. :)

Martha said:
Really? Are you a real estate agent? Or just messing with us. :)
Common Martha. That followed AirJordan's intro. Gotta be someone with a sense of humor who created a username for that one.

Oh he's not a troll. He's just poorly educated in matters of investing and hasnt yet read that monkeys throwing darts could do better than the entire universe of stock pickers, historically.

But maybe he knows the trick to mastering both complex financial situations and group psychology with regards to those financial situations.

After reading AJ's posts again, my conclusion is that he is either a troll or incredibly dense. He claims to have read all the books including the Bernstein ones and if he is like this now, there is nothing anyone here can say or do that can change his mind. I think he is wired like some of those nutjobs who don't belive in rational thought or argument. He will keep spewing sweeping statements!

-h

Good Evening!

Better yet hello all..........my name is john........broke 50 last year and heading towards 51......worked like a loyal dog for GE/NBC for the last 16 years and
have recently taken a fun position with a new company with less stress.
Have worked like a mule for the last 30 years and building a retirement nest egg that I want to see grow while i make ends meet with this new postion. Maybe too much info on the first date but wanted to connect with similar profiles and see what they are doing, planning or suggesting.

Hi John
Welcome! Good to know that you are enjoying your new job - lot of people here will tell you how much more enjoyable not working at all is :) I stiil have a long way to go and I am looking fwd to hearing interesting stories about your NBC stay...

-h

Thank you for the welcome note. I believe doing something you enjoy and get paid for is a great way to head in the retirement direction. Years of management taught me to be a more effective front line employee.

shanjwa5 said:
Thank you for the welcome note. I believe doing something you enjoy and get paid for is a great way to head in the retirement direction. Years of management taught me to be a more effective front line employee.
ESRBob, one of the posters here, has written a book on the subject, "How to Work Less and Live More." You will find many kindred spirits and even more of us who have happily pulled the plug entirely. 8)

John,

Welcome, I'm in the same "boat". I am biding my time trying to hold off a few years before taking the "plunge". I am trying to make a plan on balancing my funds so that I can hit that sweet spot between risk and security (if there is such a spot). I self-direct my tradtional IRA via Fidelity and have been pretty satisfied so far. Hope to hear your thoughts.

:)dog

I feel I have the net worth to retire. however the healthcare for a family is what keeps me working

Family of 5 ------22 year old special needs daughter on my plan
18 year old son finishing 1 year of college.....yes i am paying the full boat
12 year old.

Have a net worth of $1.8MM including home equity.

Any crack the healtcare nut and wish to advise? :-\ :confused:

shanjwa5 said:
Have a net worth of $1.8MM including home equity.

Any crack the healtcare nut and wish to advise? :-\ :confused:

Probably best to keep working.

Ha

Based on the info given I have to agree with HA, time to keep working. The general rule of thumb is that you can withdraw 4% (inflation adjusted) from a portfolio so from $1.8M that would be $73.2 a year, not bad but with kids in school ( my youngest son is 17 and a HS senior) and a special needs child the medical would be a killer. The solutions are 1) work, 2)spouse works (at least in a capacity that includes medical coverage) then there is COBRA, which I don't know much about and various state programs. The states vary a lot in their offerings. And it depends on your desired standard of living.

Hi:

I am new to this site - I am financially ready to retire @44 but am waiting for a package from my company. Just started to budget the family's funds - something their not used to - that is not fun.

Cheers and I hope to give information and learn from the group.

::)

I am knew to all of this financial stuff...wondering what to do to pay off my mortgage faster. Heard of Tardus and Mortgage Free America. Wondering if I could do their tactics on my own such as use credit cards and then pay off card at the end of the month on time. pay off mortgage with a HELOC and put my own paychecks toward the HELOC until I need to pay off credit card bills? Does this make sense to anyone?

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom