Just joined the FIRE class of '17

StaceyR

Dryer sheet wannabe
I thought it appropriate to leave my first post here to say hello and thank you to all of the wonderful contributors here. One week into retirement and I feel like I'm back in school with so much to learn but so many great teachers and fellow students to assist me.

Retiring early at 59 is not quite the accomplishment that others have shared here but as someone who has beaten cancer and more recently a heart attack I'm thrilled to start living life on my terms and timetable. My soon-to-be-retired wife and I had been laying the foundation of FI for years by eliminating debt and growing our nest egg but there is still much to do and many decisions needing to be made. Oddly, our saying goodbye to comfortable but unrewarding jobs was harder than anticipated as we battled with the "one more year" syndrome. The recent passing of my Mother and my sudden heart attack were the wake up calls we needed to jump out of the frying pan and into the FIRE!

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot from the members here.

Are you in Foothill Ranch in California?

Yes, we have lived in Foothill Ranch since '92. Hopefully we can still afford living here in retirement since the mortgage is now paid off. You must be in the OC as well?

Yes, in Huntington Beach. But I lived in Rancho Santa Margarita for many years, so I drove through Foothill Ranch to get to the freeway. I actually didn't realize it has been around since 1992. It seems like it was built out after I moved out of RSM, in 2000.

OC is a great place to retire to. Just don't brag about it too much. We don't need any more people moving here.

We weren't pioneers here but do pre-date the toll road and most of the businesses. RSM is a wonderful town but Huntington Beach definitely tops it. I lived and worked there most of my single life, back when it was more affordable! Fortunately HB is easily within my EV's driving range so I plan to spend a lot of time at the beach this summer. :cool:

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your retirement.

Come on in. The water's fine.

Congrats and welcome. I had a similar event 3 years ago with a heart attack that made me revisit my view on the rest of my life. I retired 2 years ago at 57 and have not looked back.

All I can say is take your health seriously as it is the most important thing you can do for yourself going forward.

Good Luck!!

I wish you the best in retirement.

Welcome to the other side. Make it great!

:D hello from Rancho Santa Margarita!

Howdy neighbor!

We now have double the reason to celebrate! My wife just joined me in ER.
Her last day was FIREday...er Friday. I thought she might hold out longer but apparently the permanent smile on my face changed her mind.

Howdy neighbor!

We now have double the reason to celebrate! My wife just joined me in ER.
Her last day was FIREday...er Friday. I thought she might hold out longer but apparently the permanent smile on my face changed her mind.

Good for both of you! Enjoy. :)

Back
Top Bottom