Left position after one day, shouldn't I still get paid?

paulb

Confused about dryer sheets
I accepted a position and when I went in on Monday to start, about half way through the day, I was told of something that was required, but I didn't agree with. I said nothing to my boss about my thoughts. If I was told of this during the interview process, I would never have accepted the position. I stayed until the end of the day and did not report back and never notified the company of my reason. I never bothered to show up.

I live in MA and this is an at will employer. Aren't I still entitled to my one day of pay?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Legally I believe you are. Morally, that is another question.

I rarely hear about a job that one of the job duties is not "Other tasks as required."

Last edited:
Legally you probably will be paid........but why wouldn't you go to your new boss or the HR department and advise them that you wouldn't be back? That would have been the "right" thing to do. I once quit a job after 4 days and asked not to be paid.....they, however, did pay me........Leaving was my decision.......I had been hired for a sales job and then realized that much of the job was technical.....not my bag......Both employers and employees should be open and honest.....that creates a good work enviroment......that's the kind of employer or employee all should want to be.

Also, since you left of your own free will, you will not be eligible for any unemployment insurance.

You are always required to be paid for hours worked. Have they refused to pay ?

Why did you just not show up and no contact at all after you left Mon afternoon? That is bad on your part.

From a legal standpoint you are due the pay for Mon working. Why didn't you talk to your boss and have discussion about the work that you did not agree with? Even if boss said you have to do it as part of your work, then you could say you quit and leave.

I would have talked to the boss and/or HR about the fact it wasn't a good fit. I probably would have advised them about whatever it was that didn't sit right with you...

In some ways I admire your recognition it wasn't the job for you. I stayed in a job for 2.5 months before giving notice - even though I realized in less than a week that they'd bait and switched the position. Unfortunately, I'd relocated states to take the job.

Yes. You are entitled to get paid. I walked out on job once after 2.5 days(good old Y2K days in 1998) and company mailed me the check after a week.

Monday was yesterday.

Appreciate any feedback.
Since you asked: You handled this poorly, and it might be a problem if there's any potential that other prospective employers will find out about this.

It costs an employer to bring aboard a new employee (filling out all the forms, etc), and terminating the employee also costs additional sums. If the employee just doesn't return come back to work (rather than actually quitting), then there's at least a day or so that the position stays vacant when it might have been re-filled.

So, the way you handled things did not show much consideration for your employer or others who work there.

But, they do owe you pay for whatever time you spent there. If I were the employer, I'd see if you show up to claim it before eventually mailing you a check.

Last edited:
Legally you are owed a day's pay. Personally I would write your boss or HR an apology for not contacting them and make some lame excuse for terminating. I wouldn't mention pay and I wouldn't include this in any resume.

Appreciate any feedback. ....

+1 with others that it was very poor form on your part. Your boss isn't a mind reader, you know. You could/should have told then you were leaving (and explain why if you wish).

While I agree that you are entitled to pay for the day that you worked, if I were you I would be embarrassed to ask for it.

Just curious, what did they ask that was so onerous that you bailed on them with radio silence?

Last edited:
you will get paid for that one day. not really a big issue. the company could have fired you on the same day too.

I did that once. At a McDonalds. When I was 16. 40+ years later I still consider it one of the least classy things I ever did. And that's saying a lot. Even then I didn't bother about getting paid for it.

Of course, I think the minimum wage was about $1.65, so I was out about $3 After taxes.

You will get paid, make sure they know you expect payment.

I've supervised many folks that didn't make it a day, so I'm not giving you crap. Heck one day we started 6 new guys, by 1:00 PM 5 of them took off, they never said a word. There was one guy I had to fire and clock him out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

You will get paid, make sure they know you expect payment.

I've supervised many folks that didn't make it a day, so I'm not giving you crap. Heck one day we started 6 new guys, by 1:00 PM 5 of them took off, they never said a word. There was one guy I had to fire and clock him out.

What kind of job did you supervise do if I may ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What kind of job did you supervise do if I may ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I had men in a log yard, checking logs for metal. They also had to trim some to length. We provided rain gear, but not insulated boots and long handles. On cold days some just ran away.

The day we ran through 6 new guys the mill super and I asked the front office where these guys had been told they were going to be working. The guy that hired them had 'forget' to tell them they might have to work outside.

I accepted a position and when I went in on Monday to start, about half way through the day, I was told of something that was required, but I didn't agree with. I said nothing to my boss about my thoughts. If I was told of this during the interview process, I would never have accepted the position. I stayed until the end of the day and did not report back and never notified the company of my reason. I never bothered to show up.

I live in MA and this is an at will employer. Aren't I still entitled to my one day of pay?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

It would depend on state law, I imagine, but you probably are entitled. I would just call it a lucky escape from a bad situation and not worry about it. If you noticed something illegal or unethical going on, I would see if you can leave an anonymous tip on a whistleblower line.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Is this a troll:confused: It seems like a pretty ridiculous question.

Last edited:
I had men in a log yard, checking logs for metal. They also had to trim some to length. We provided rain gear, but not insulated boots and long handles. On cold days some just ran away.

The day we ran through 6 new guys the mill super and I asked the front office where these guys had been told they were going to be working. The guy that hired them had 'forget' to tell them they might have to work outside.

Thank you! I can now see why...

Thank you! I can now see why...

Yes it stunk there. Actually worst job I ever had, not the cold or rain but my position I dealt with abusive management too.

Announcing FIRE at Megacorp was great. It pales in comparison to when I quit that job to go to Megacorp.

Perhaps they required him to sign a restrictive covenant which requirement was not explained to him before the job was accepted. Happens often.

If that is the case and the employer refused to negotiate the terms of the document, then the choice is to leave.

Back
Top Bottom