Join Early Retirement Today

Left position after one day, shouldn't I still get paid?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
gone traveling

Left position after one day, shouldn't I still get paid?

I accepted a position and when I went in on Monday to start, about half way through the day, I was told of something that was required, but I didn't agree with. I said nothing to my boss about my thoughts. If I was told of this during the interview process, I would never have accepted the position. I stayed until the end of the day and did not report back and never notified the company of my reason. I never bothered to show up.

I live in MA and this is an at will employer. Aren't I still entitled to my one day of pay?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Legally I believe you are. Morally, that is another question.

I rarely hear about a job that one of the job duties is not "Other tasks as required."

Old 10-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #3

Legally you probably will be paid........but why wouldn't you go to your new boss or the HR department and advise them that you wouldn't be back? That would have been the "right" thing to do. I once quit a job after 4 days and asked not to be paid.....they, however, did pay me........Leaving was my decision.......I had been hired for a sales job and then realized that much of the job was technical.....not my bag......Both employers and employees should be open and honest.....that creates a good work enviroment......that's the kind of employer or employee all should want to be.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #4

Also, since you left of your own free will, you will not be eligible for any unemployment insurance.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You are always required to be paid for hours worked. Have they refused to pay ?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #6

Why did you just not show up and no contact at all after you left Mon afternoon? That is bad on your part.

From a legal standpoint you are due the pay for Mon working. Why didn't you talk to your boss and have discussion about the work that you did not agree with? Even if boss said you have to do it as part of your work, then you could say you quit and leave.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #7

I would have talked to the boss and/or HR about the fact it wasn't a good fit. I probably would have advised them about whatever it was that didn't sit right with you...

In some ways I admire your recognition it wasn't the job for you. I stayed in a job for 2.5 months before giving notice - even though I realized in less than a week that they'd bait and switched the position. Unfortunately, I'd relocated states to take the job.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. You are entitled to get paid. I walked out on job once after 2.5 days(good old Y2K days in 1998) and company mailed me the check after a week.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Monday was yesterday.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
Appreciate any feedback.
Since you asked: You handled this poorly, and it might be a problem if there's any potential that other prospective employers will find out about this.

It costs an employer to bring aboard a new employee (filling out all the forms, etc), and terminating the employee also costs additional sums. If the employee just doesn't return come back to work (rather than actually quitting), then there's at least a day or so that the position stays vacant when it might have been re-filled.

So, the way you handled things did not show much consideration for your employer or others who work there.

But, they do owe you pay for whatever time you spent there. If I were the employer, I'd see if you show up to claim it before eventually mailing you a check.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Legally you are owed a day's pay. Personally I would write your boss or HR an apology for not contacting them and make some lame excuse for terminating. I wouldn't mention pay and I wouldn't include this in any resume.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Appreciate any feedback. ....
+1 with others that it was very poor form on your part. Your boss isn't a mind reader, you know. You could/should have told then you were leaving (and explain why if you wish).

While I agree that you are entitled to pay for the day that you worked, if I were you I would be embarrassed to ask for it.

Just curious, what did they ask that was so onerous that you bailed on them with radio silence?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

you will get paid for that one day. not really a big issue. the company could have fired you on the same day too.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I did that once. At a McDonalds. When I was 16. 40+ years later I still consider it one of the least classy things I ever did. And that's saying a lot. Even then I didn't bother about getting paid for it.

Of course, I think the minimum wage was about $1.65, so I was out about $3 After taxes.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #15

Yeah, you'll get paid...in bad karma.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

You will get paid, make sure they know you expect payment.

I've supervised many folks that didn't make it a day, so I'm not giving you crap. Heck one day we started 6 new guys, by 1:00 PM 5 of them took off, they never said a word. There was one guy I had to fire and clock him out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
You will get paid, make sure they know you expect payment.

I've supervised many folks that didn't make it a day, so I'm not giving you crap. Heck one day we started 6 new guys, by 1:00 PM 5 of them took off, they never said a word. There was one guy I had to fire and clock him out.

What kind of job did you supervise do if I may ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
What kind of job did you supervise do if I may ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I had men in a log yard, checking logs for metal. They also had to trim some to length. We provided rain gear, but not insulated boots and long handles. On cold days some just ran away.

The day we ran through 6 new guys the mill super and I asked the front office where these guys had been told they were going to be working. The guy that hired them had 'forget' to tell them they might have to work outside.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I accepted a position and when I went in on Monday to start, about half way through the day, I was told of something that was required, but I didn't agree with. I said nothing to my boss about my thoughts. If I was told of this during the interview process, I would never have accepted the position. I stayed until the end of the day and did not report back and never notified the company of my reason. I never bothered to show up.

I live in MA and this is an at will employer. Aren't I still entitled to my one day of pay?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
It would depend on state law, I imagine, but you probably are entitled. I would just call it a lucky escape from a bad situation and not worry about it. If you noticed something illegal or unethical going on, I would see if you can leave an anonymous tip on a whistleblower line.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #20

Quote:

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Is this a troll It seems like a pretty ridiculous question.