Long overdue introduction…

lucija

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been lurking on this board for quite some time and I finally decided to “speak-up” (I do not expect to be one of the most vocal members).

In case you’re wondering what keeps me coming back to this board… I, more so than DH, can’t want to ditch our dependency on jobs. As time goes on, I find myself longing to have all of my days to myself to do as I wish… what is worse, these days, job satisfaction can no longer offset the ever increasing levels of BS at work.

Here’s a bit about me… I am 33, married with 2 kids. Unfortunately, no nifty pensions, healthcare bennies or inheritances await us in the future. We have no debt and have about ¼ of needed (today’s dollars) assets riding (in) the market. Duh! It will be a while, I guess…

Oh yeah, I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for all of your insightful and knowledgeable input I came across so far (and expect to enjoy in the future as well).

Thanks for the intro, many of us are in our 30s and hoping to get out within the next 10 years. It is hard to be patient, especially when we hear about the wonderful lives of those already FIREd! I, too, learn much from these sage advisors.

Congrats on the no debt and the good start on the nest egg!

Yes, I suspect we’ll get there. Next year with mortgage gone and a lower daycare payment, we’ll be able to set aside a bit more for retirement (to a tune of 35+% of gross); it seems a lot, but it will still take many years to achieve FI status.

Sometimes I wish I never caught the FIRE bug… Somehow, seeing in black in white how much we need to save and making a reasonable assumption on how long it will take us, it is making me a bit depressed. Funny, I never had a problem working until I realized FIRE is possible before one becomes old and decrepit.

I really don’t want to cut back on college savings or “clamp down” on day to day expenses & indulgences – in other words, I don’t want to put my life on hold. I know I need to snap out of it, but I don’t know how. Otherwise (contrary to the tone of this message) I am quite cheerful as a person.

Back
Top Bottom