long time reader, first post

savedapile

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been reading here for quite a while, thought I would start posting.
early 50's, one foot out the door of work, just putting some finishing touches on the money. My employer has been very accomodating to me and has allowed me to go part time the past few years. Health bennies through SO who has two years to go to take them into retirement. We should have no problem maintaining our current standard of living, and have extra for nice trips etc. as we worked longer than we really had to but I did not want to go back to work once we stopped. I might stay part time until SO quits, or quit sooner depending on how flexible employer remains.

Kids are gone, no debt so we will be making lots of decisions the next few years. Fine tuning our money management skills, whether to stay in our house or move close or far away. We don't seem to be able to make any decisions on where to go so might just stay here where our friends are. I don't anticipate we will have any problems filling out time productively.

I have gained a great deal of knowledge by reading the posts here. It has given me a lot to think about. Thanks to all who post.

Welcome out of lurking!

savedapile said:
whether to stay in our house or move close or far away. We don't seem to be able to make any decisions on where to go so might just stay here where our friends are.

Timely issues as there are threads talking about that now. What part of the country do you live in? We are finding it harder and harder to spend winters in Minnesota but summers here can't be beat.

Martha, I am in upstate NY near Lake Ontario. It is actually much like Minnesota. You are a little colder and we get more snow. We love the seasons but driving in the snow can be tough. I was in Minnesota for business recently, your gas is much cheaper but near Minneapolis your housing is a little higher. Spring, summer and fall are beautiful here.

The threads on moving interest us. Here we have some like minded friends, like to live below their means and are not in the "my hummer is bigger than your hummer" mode. Being debt free was very important to all of us. I am not sure if I am willing to swap what we have for better weather. I also have a sibling who moved to his dream location only to sell in a few years and go back home. I really am not interested in taking a financial hit like that. We are a few hours from the beautiful Adirondacks.

Travel is one of our passions, we try to go away two weeks in the spring- so far England, Australia, Italy, Mexico and next year we are going to Holland for the tulips. We also take a domestic trip in the fall, often out west to tour the beautiful National parks. That is why I worked longer once we reached FI, so that those things would be possible.

Interesting that the Mpls house prices are higher. I have been watching them come down as we are somewhat interested in buying in St. Paul. With the Ford plant closing in St. Paul I think the prices will continue to drop for a while.

I am jealous of your Holland trip. I would love to see the fields of tulips. Post pictures if you can.

Back
Top Bottom