Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for answers to help fill in the gaps....
Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Looking for answers to help fill in the gaps....

Hello all,
This is my first post so I apologize for starting out with a bunch of questions without having provided any input to the forums myself. Unfortunately I only started thinking about an early retirement plan and have a lot more questions than answers.

Before I start asking questions though ~ a little information about myself:

Age 43. Married with 3 kids (2 under five and 1 almost out of high school). Estimated age when my wife and I can retire (50-53). I am not 100% certain about what the right amount of money is for full retirement (no part time work), but think it is somewhere in the $3-3.5 million range assuming annual income requirements in the $100-125K range. My wife and I are both reasonably frugal and informed regarding investments, asset allocation and other financial matters. Keeping this information in mind I have the following questions.

1) What are the most important steps I can take right now to get on the right track toward retiring in 7 to 10 years?
2) How much should I budget for healthcare for a family of 4 assuming we are all relatively healthy or should I ask what process I should follow to get a good idea on how much this will cost?
3) What sort of budgeting should I do for college costs? Should I set up a separate account?
4) How many years of expense tracking do people use as a basis for determining requirements during retirement?
5) How much slush or contingency should I factor into my plan in terms of extra assets or income I don't think I will need, but would be nice to have just in case?
6) Should I factor in long-term care?
7) And finally....for those of you who have retired early if you were to explain to someone at a party how you managed to escape the rat race early how would you explain it. Was it all hard work and planning? Diligent saving over the long-term? Did you own a business? Did you buy a hot stock that went to the moon? etc.

I know there are a lot of questions so feel free to pick and choose what you want to answer AND thank you in advance for your input.
LF

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fish View Post
7) And finally....for those of you who have retired early if you were to explain to someone at a party how you managed to escape the rat race early how would you explain it. Was it all hard work and planning? Diligent saving over the long-term? Did you own a business? Did you buy a hot stock that went to the moon? etc.

LF
Hi Little Fish, I would say 2 parts frugality, 2 parts not knowing enough to be worried, and 6 parts blind luck.

Not super transferable.