Join Early Retirement Today

Moved, retired, happy
Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Moved, retired, happy

Hi! I was on this forum years ago and recently re-joined. Iím

Iím 70. Retired at 62, never will be employed again. Iím living very comfortably on stock dividends and interest. At 67 I left my prior life and no longer significant other, and moved back to New England, to my home town. I bought a house and have a large mortgage. Seemed better financially than selling investments to pay for it. Big change.

Iím comfortable financially, enjoy living alone and seeing friends. Moving back was the best thing Iíve done in years. Iím an artist and if I can get the studio unpacked Iíll be doing that again.

I live in an area with a village-to-village group. I didnít know that when I moved! I plan to take advantage of it at some point. And there are uber, lyft, Grubhub and instacart. I have intermittent chronic fatigue syndrome so I often have groceries delivered, or meals. I like to save my energy for having fun, and it doesnít end up that expensive.

I have macular degeneration which makes driving at night uncomfortable. Thatís not fun. I need to try again with yellow glasses for glare reduction. Thatís somewhat limiting, but I can take uber if Iím somewhere they work.

I chose well, considering there were very few houses available at the time. The house was completely rehabbed in 2014. New barhrooms, kitchen, retrofitted with central air. Itís a 1940 bungalow, with a master and bath on the first floor. Another first floor bath with a shower is going to get stacked laundry put in it.

Feeling like Iím babbling a bit... hi to all.

DeborahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #2

Sounds wonderful. Welcome back. The health issues are unfortunate, but it sounds like you’re dealing with them very well. I’m excited for you.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome back!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #4

Welcome back. Sound like you found your happy place.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #5

What's a "village-to-village group"?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #6

Welcome back and congrats on finding your happy place.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #7

Welcome back DeborahB. You have company with other babblers on this site, who tell some good stories.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #8

There's no place like home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahB View Post
Iím 70. Retired at 62

At 67 I... moved back to New England, to my home town

Moving back was the best thing Iíve done in years.
Very Interesting. You are running an experiment that intrigued me for many years. Having long ago moved away from my home town, I had subscribed to the adage "You can never go back." My (numerous!) disappointments and failures in new locations always made me question whether leaving home was a mistake, but I never came close to moving back.

Whenever I return to my old stomping ground for a visit, it is at once familiar and foreign. Some landmarks are exactly the same, but there are new roads, new neighborhoods, and of course all the neighbors have changed.

Time and distance have fractured contact with most of my previous companions, even many family members. I wonder if you could comment on your experiences and feelings after moving back "home". Were you able to re-establish a lot of relationships, or are most of the friends you make brand-new ones? Are the sights and sounds and smells mostly what you remember from the good old days, or have the decades of change wiped out all but a fraction of those sensory inputs?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and anecdotes you feel comfortable sharing.

Quote:
I live in an area with a village-to-village group.
I'm don't know this expression. What is a village-to-village group?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Happiness, Joy, Tranquility. Happy you found it.

A bit surprised NE winters and a large mortgage at 70 are contributing to your tranquility. Interesting. Many paths.

Living on dividends/interest is a withdrawl. If that is all you are withdrawing ~2%, then you probably aren't spending enough.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
What's a "village-to-village group"?
You can google it - it has to do with helping people age in place, in their homes.

https://vtvnetwork.clubexpress.com/c...?sl=1000979450

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/fri...vement-fd.html
Old 10-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

Village-to-village is a national movement to help seniors age in place, in their houses.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
Happiness, Joy, Tranquility. Happy you found it.

A bit surprised NE winters and a large mortgage at 70 are contributing to your tranquility. Interesting. Many paths.

Living on dividends/interest is a withdrawl. If that is all you are withdrawing ~2%, then you probably aren't spending enough.
I don’t know where you got 2%, I think I’m spending more than that. Maybe 4%. I just take money when I need it. I don’t like having a mortgage but it makes financial sense for me. And I’m in my happy place.

When you pay someone to shovel, and don’t need to work, cold weather isn’t an issue. I wanted to be near some family and old friends, major considerations for me after 30 years in Kansas City.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Very Interesting. You are running an experiment that intrigued me for many years. Having long ago moved away from my home town, I had subscribed to the adage "You can never go back." My (numerous!) disappointments and failures in new locations always made me question whether leaving home was a mistake, but I never came close to moving back.

Whenever I return to my old stomping ground for a visit, it is at once familiar and foreign. Some landmarks are exactly the same, but there are new roads, new neighborhoods, and of course all the neighbors have changed.

Time and distance have fractured contact with most of my previous companions, even many family members. I wonder if you could comment on your experiences and feelings after moving back "home". Were you able to re-establish a lot of relationships, or are most of the friends you make brand-new ones? Are the sights and sounds and smells mostly what you remember from the good old days, or have the decades of change wiped out all but a fraction of those sensory inputs?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and anecdotes you feel comfortable sharing.

I'm don't know this expression. What is a village-to-village group?
I love being back here. I stayed in touch with friends and looked up some people I was close to in high school. Also my younger brother’s here and we get along very well. I never fitted in in Kansas City. I was “different”. My values and directness were unusual. After a while I really wanted to live in RI again. It took a long time to realize it and do it.

I broke off a 25 year relationship when I left. We had grown apart, that’s the quick version. For quite a while that was keeping me in KC. My mother died in 2007, before I left. My difficult father died in 2015.

I always spent at least a couple of weeks in Providence, annually, went to the beach, saw my parents and friends. The stress around my father’s death from old age, at 95, was extreme. 3 weeks later I had chronic fatigue syndrome.the stress shot my immune system.

But as to going back... I love it. I live in a city residential neighborhood, in a house. My neighbors and neighborhood are friendly. A lot are older, like me, but we also have kids running around. I live near a big playground, and a farmer’s market. There’s a biking and walking path. All of this contributes to my comfort. There’s always something going on.

I don’t think I’d feel as comfortable in the suburbs, where the houses are farther apart etc.

There’s a lot to do and my health hasn’t allowed me to do some of it. I also have macular degeneration, and try not to drive at night. I need to try again - it’s self-imposed. I don’t have any life-threatening illnesses and I expect to live to be 85+. So I need to be happy!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #14

Glad retirement is w*rking out after 8 years. Sorry about all the health issues.

Did you have health issues when w*rking? If you could do it all over again, would you have retired even earlier than 62?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Such an interesting story. Glad you found your happy place.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Glad retirement is w*rking out after 8 years. Sorry about all the health issues.

Did you have health issues when w*rking? If you could do it all over again, would you have retired even earlier than 62?
I had different health issues when working. Lots of stress. Asthma. I honestly felt my job was shortening my life. Health insurance was the issue. I retired 34 months before I qualified for Medicare. I was refused insurance. COBRA lasted 18 months and then I went into my stateís high risk pool for 16 months. It was $941/mo. and didnít cover much. I think of it as bankruptcy insurance. Because I had significant assets, I needed to protect them being used up for medical expenses. ACA started about 6 months later and would have helped.

The last straw was my manager giving me a tepid review. I decided to retire. But then my best friendís husband dropped dead at 67. I quit 2 weeks later. I thought - nothing is worth this stress.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
I had different health issues when working. Lots of stress. Asthma. I honestly felt my job was shortening my life. Health insurance was the issue. I retired 34 months before I qualified for Medicare. I was refused insurance. COBRA lasted 18 months and then I went into my state’s high risk pool for 16 months. It was $941/mo. and didn’t cover much. I think of it as bankruptcy insurance. Because I had significant assets, I needed to protect them being used up for medical expenses. ACA started about 6 months later and would have helped.

The last straw was my manager giving me a tepid review. I decided to retire. But then my best friend’s husband dropped dead at 67. I quit 2 weeks later. I thought - nothing is worth this stress.

Wow! A bit of a reminder of life before ACA. Must have been scary retiring without decent retiree healthcare, with the j*b causing stress related health issues. Between a rock and a hard place. I admire your courage to bail out, even before ACA. Agreed with perspective that health insurance is often mainly medical bankruptcy insurance if the network is limited and out of pockets & deductibles sky-high.

Quote:
When you pay someone to shovel, and don’t need to work, cold weather isn’t an issue. I wanted to be near some family and old friends, major considerations for me after 30 years in Kansas City.

I too live in my hometown city, except I never left. Dream of leaving all the time, but I want a sunny place that's warm in the winter, not too hot or humid in the summer, has water sports, and isn't as expensive as southern CA. Also, our friends are here. Wouldn't want to start over again. So, I'm still here.

Before retiring, DW and I bought a nice townhouse with a solid HOA. The fool with the shoveling, lawn, and exterior maintenance. We enjoy the outdoors, travel, and eat out with friends.

Glad you are enjoying FIRE!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #18

Life before ACA meant many people had no insurance. They just wouldn’t insure me, despite nothing big and expensive going on. They listed everything that was wrong with me: asthma, slightly high b.p. & cholesterol (totally controlled with low meds), menopause... at 63... this is a precondition? And they knew I’d be on Medicare in 16 months so they weren’t at risk for long. It was a terrible situation. It’s why more people my age didn’t retire earlier, I think.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Village-to-village is a national movement to help seniors age in place, in their houses.

I found our city has one in that list. Iíve noticed the people who live in that village at my bridge club do help people. Now I know.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Life before ACA meant many people had no insurance. They just wouldnít insure me, despite nothing big and expensive going on. They listed everything that was wrong with me: asthma, slightly high b.p. & cholesterol (totally controlled with low meds), menopause... at 63... this is a precondition? And they knew Iíd be on Medicare in 16 months so they werenít at risk for long. It was a terrible situation. Itís why more people my age didnít retire earlier, I think.
The insurance industry has been taking advantage of people for a long time. Iím glad it came to an end. I had minor panic attack and while they didnít deny me, but lots of questions were asked. This is back when I had to buy insurance for my family.