New to FI

Welcome.

With such high income you must be getting killed on taxes... it is good that you maxed your 401k contributions... do the same with your DW to the extent possible.

I'm not a big fan of 529s due to the restrictions... I preferred to save in my taxable accounts and it worked out well when DS decided not to attend college.... I didn't have to figure out how to get at that money.

I suggest that you buy a copy of Quicken if you don't already have one. Use its Lifetime Planner (included in Quicken Deluxe and higher versions) to plot out your path to retirement. Use the What-If function in the Lifetime Planner to look at the impact of different paths. Then use Quicken to monitor your progress.

In the near term, I would step up the payments on the 5.5% debt to pay that off quicker and also start investing in a low-cost equity mutual fund like Vanguard total stock.... 50/50 of your monthly savings until the personal loan is paid off then all to investing. I wouldn't bother being more aggressive about paying down 3% debt.

You're probably frozen out of Roths for now for all practical purposes... while technically you can do Roth conversions from a tIRA, the tax cost would be prohibitive. However, if you do retire early then you'll likely have a lot of time to do some low tax cost Roth conversions.

Welcome.

For now I would focus entirely on 4 things:

Maxing your 401k to the yearly limit, putting the existing balance into a good solid distribution for growth given your outlook.
Paying off 100% of your non-mortgage debt
Building up a larger cash/emer fund to avoid the need to ever utilize debt again.
Start an HSA and max it out to the extent you can this year

That will probably take you well into 2019, after which time you can then focus on adding to savings with things like taxable accounts, and other savings options. You won't be in a position this year to start those - and I would not focus on them until your debt is clear.

Don't try to hit everything at once.

Back
Top Bottom