October 1st, First Day of ER

Budatx

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello Everyone,

Well, it's finally here; my first day of ER. After 35 years of public service, the feeling is unbelievable. Thanks to all of you who provided invaluable input to my questions over the last several months regarding ER. Yesterday, during my final farewells, some of my "then-coworkers" were totally shocked when I told them that I am only 53 years old. One of them said that she had finally gotten over the envy of me retiring at what she thought was 55, and when she heard it was 53, she screamed!

My wish for all of my friends at the office is that I have at least begun the process of prying their eyes and minds open to the possibility of ER and all that it has to offer. ER may not be preferable to a few of them and that's okay. But it was bittersweet seeing the anguish on the face of 9 out of 10, especially those like me with children at home, when they said they wish they could do the same. For my friends who could have ER'd years ago, but have not, I hope my discussions with them cause them to reconsider.

Well, for my first day in ER, I enjoyed sleeping late, making and kicking back with my coffee. I am now catching-up with my 3 daughters and all of their school and outside activities. We have volleyball games this afternoon and afterwards, we'll go out and celebrate ER.

DW reminded me that after all of my past inquiries to ER Forum, I needed to let everyone in the Forum know that ER is finally here! Again, thanks for welcoming me to the Forum and you'll be hearing lots more from me.

Budatx
ER - 09/30/09
The Possibilities are Unlimited!!

Congrats. I am closing in on 5 years and loving every minute of it.

I too am approaching 5 years (31 Dec) and have never regretted it for a moment.

Your DW is right that you need to let us know your new and improved employment status--so we can say CONGRATULATIONS! I bet you had a wonderful family celebration tonight.

Congratulations! Retirement is awesome with no more schedules, no more pressure, just doing what you want to do when you want to do it!

Way to go.
I see you started full time work at 18?.
Some of us attended college. Worthwhile for some, maybe not for others.
I did not start full time till after grad school in '79.
Closing in on retirement at 63 end of April '10.

Congratulations!
Please consider sharing your experiences planning to ER. We all learn when newly ER'd people share their planning processes. The Life after FIRE forum may be a better location for that thread.Thank you.

Way to go.

for those working toward public service pensions, it may make financial sense to start young and get one's education part-time

I kept quitting and going back to school...if I had stayed in from my first summer job at age 16 I would have 36 years in at age 52!

Budatx, congrats, you earned it. I will retire in six days after 32 years in public service (law enforcement) though I have been off for 9 weeks. It does feel good!!

Stay busy!

Hey, Oct 1, 2009 was my retirement date also. This past Sunday evening it was a great feeling knowing that I did not have to get ready for work on Monday---wow, what a feeling of freedom! I recognize that this will be a transition---I have worked for the last 33 years with very little time off, but I am enjoying the change and look forward to developing new interests along with my new lifestyle.

budatx,

Congratulations on achieving your goal. I have been FIRE'd since 7/01/09 and loving every minute of it. Not one second thought. So great not to be on airplanes, waking up in strange cities and worrying about whether or not my sprinklers exploded in the cold while I was out of town!

Enjoy

theloneranger,
Way to go.

Thanks for letting me explain. Yes, I started full time work (military) at 18. Three years later, began local law enforcement career that lasted 15 years, and then served in state govt. for over 17 years. Fortunately, I was able to buy my military time and combine all of my service, which totaled over 35 years. I am proud to say that I also attended college, although always while working full time. After getting my B.S., I stayed out for 10 years before going to grad school. Of course, being single without kids back then made completing both degrees a little smoother.

Budatx
ER - 09/30/09
The Possibilities are Unlimited!!

Back
Top Bottom