Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
....grad school in Waltham. ...
Bentley or Brandeis?

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Well, you won't get too many friends here for being a Pats fan. We've had numerous lively discussions with haters in the past and the few of us can hold our own but we won't go there at least until the season starts.
Haters gotta "hate, hate hate" as the song goes.

Jimmy G. may surprise some folks. It would be sweet revenge if the Pats started the season undefeated before Brady comes back.

In the spirit of true confession, I'm am equally a Giants fan (dad was a fan, and you know, like father like son), so come match-ups between both teams such as recent Super Bowls, I'm really torn. Best of both worlds. Looking forward to the new season.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I was born & raised in the Berkshires, college in Boston & grad school in Waltham. I assumed I would move back to MA (or, at least the northeast) after a postdoc stint at Berkeley, but then I met the love of my life and we decided to put down roots in CA.

We still go back to western MA from time to time to visit my family, and, especially if we're there in the fall, we start thinking "gee maybe we should move here." And then winter rolls in.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks Rosie. I have family in So. CA, but don't get out there much. Hope to visit next year if we do a drive across the country. I like western MA. Pretty country out there. We take a drive out that way at least once a year.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

You are in a great place to travel. The mountains and hiking in New Hampshire and Vermont is excellent. Burlington Vermont is a great city on a great lake. Maine is an easy drive. Ma folks call Maine folks Mainiacs. Maine folks call Ma folks Massholes. Enjoy your retirement. Your in an area I would love to be if not for roots.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
You are in a great place to travel. The mountains and hiking in New Hampshire and Vermont is excellent. Burlington Vermont is a great city on a great lake. Maine is an easy drive. Ma folks call Maine folks Mainiacs. Maine folks call Ma folks Massholes. Enjoy your retirement. Your in an area I would love to be if not for roots.
And the taxes are low, the drivers courteous, roads are smooth as silk and the weather is balmy all winter long!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Love all three of these states and visit them regularly. Actually heading up to Maine next month on the start of a driving trip to Canada. We hit VT and NH all the time.

It's not bad here, but the weather extremes make it tempting to flee at some point.
Thanks for the welcome.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome Bob and congrats on the retirement. This thread is making me miss my Massachusetts roots (Wista area). Hoping to get back this fall for a short visit.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Welcome Bob and congrats on the retirement. This thread is making me miss my Massachusetts roots (Wista area). Hoping to get back this fall for a short visit.
Thanks very much for the welcome. Seems like a friendly bunch of people.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
And the taxes are low, the drivers courteous, roads are smooth as silk and the weather is balmy all winter long!
Now that I have got up from the floor (after falling out of my chair laughing) I will get back to my morning coffee.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #50

Quote:
Yet we all still live here.........Something must be attractive in this state
Old 07-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Yet we all still live here.........Something must be attractive in this state
Well, we do have some of the best hospitals in the world, which as I get older tend to appreciate more.

Many of us may "live" here but often less than 180 days. I'm 11th generation MA resident, but actually not a big fan of the state; won't go into it here.

Of course, the huge daily traffic jam of people living in NH driving south to work in MA is another reality.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Of course, the huge daily traffic jam of people living in NH driving south to work in MA is another reality.
I agree with you on traffic jams but since we're retired we have the luxury to schedule our trips around the state, NH, Maine and RI after rush hours and when we still encounter traffic jams we have plenty of time to deal with it.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Welcome - its a wicked good crowd here.
heah
Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Actually, for some of us, MA taxes (at least state income taxes) aren't bad. Federal pensions and SS aren't subject to state tax. As a military retiree on SS, works out pretty well. Until I look at my property tax bill, that is.