Recently retired in Massachusetts

We love our area and its proximity to Boston and Providence (25 minutes) and Cape Cod (1 hour) so we purchased a new townhouse 5 years ago with a 2 car garage. Snow removal and yard work is handled by the association.

I've often wondered about moving south of Boston down towards the Plymouth area, and definitely getting into a townhouse. I can still do the snow shoveling, but the older I get the harder it is. Some back issues.

Hello from somewhere next to Minuteman Bike Path :)

I've often wondered about moving south of Boston down towards the Plymouth area, and definitely getting into a townhouse. I can still do the snow shoveling, but the older I get the harder it is. Some back issues.

Welcome I live South of Boston on the "South Shore"

I was born & raised in the Berkshires, college in Boston & grad school in Waltham. I assumed I would move back to MA (or, at least the northeast) after a postdoc stint at Berkeley, but then I met the love of my life and we decided to put down roots in CA.

We still go back to western MA from time to time to visit my family, and, especially if we're there in the fall, we start thinking "gee maybe we should move here." And then winter rolls in. :nonono: :LOL:

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
We went to Boston last Oct for the first time and loved it. It was pretty and had so much to do. We live in the West coming for jobs but semi-retired now and loving the very mild 4 seasons. I have lived in Wi and upstate NY so know what real winters are like. Welcome! This is a nice group of people. Much more civil then some of the other forums I have been on.

Hi Bob! Ain't it great not working - :)

Hi Bob! Ain't it great not working - :)

It's nice not working, but now the challenge is finding things to keep myself busy day in and day out. Now looking for some volunteer opportunities. Still it's great to have each day to myself. Spending lots of time working on planting areas around my house. Planning a trip in September.

Welcome I live South of Boston on the "South Shore"

Me too - very close to the Marshfield-Scituate line.

For the original poster: if you ever move to Maryland you'll have a lot of company at Camden Yards (I'm assuming you're a Sox fan) if you go to see them play the O's.

Me too - very close to the Marshfield-Scituate line.

For the original poster: if you ever move to Maryland you'll have a lot of company at Camden Yards (I'm assuming you're a Sox fan) if you go to see them play the O's.

Actually a Yankees fan.:cool: Grew up in New Jersey and never stopped rooting for the Yanks (though the past several years have been difficult!)

Interesting concentration of Massachusettsians (like me) in this thread. Makes me wonder, has the geographic distribution of membership been detailed somewhere? Oh, and welcome!

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near. Let it roll, baby, roll!" - The Doors

But....I'm a diehard Pats fan:)

Well, you won't get too many friends here for being a Pats fan. We've had numerous lively discussions with haters in the past and the few of us can hold our own but we won't go there at least until the season starts.;)

Last edited:
Interesting concentration of Massachusettsians (like me) in this thread.

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised myself. I knew that ETA2020 was local but not so many others.

Well, you won't get too many friends here for being a Pats fan. We've had numerous lively discussions with haters in the past and the few of us can hold our own but we won't go there at least until the season starts.;)

Haters gotta "hate, hate hate" as the song goes.

Jimmy G. may surprise some folks. It would be sweet revenge if the Pats started the season undefeated before Brady comes back. :LOL:

In the spirit of true confession, I'm am equally a Giants fan (dad was a fan, and you know, like father like son), so come match-ups between both teams such as recent Super Bowls, I'm really torn. Best of both worlds. Looking forward to the new season.

I was born & raised in the Berkshires, college in Boston & grad school in Waltham. I assumed I would move back to MA (or, at least the northeast) after a postdoc stint at Berkeley, but then I met the love of my life and we decided to put down roots in CA.

We still go back to western MA from time to time to visit my family, and, especially if we're there in the fall, we start thinking "gee maybe we should move here." And then winter rolls in. :nonono: :LOL:

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Rosie. I have family in So. CA, but don't get out there much. Hope to visit next year if we do a drive across the country. I like western MA. Pretty country out there. We take a drive out that way at least once a year.

You are in a great place to travel. The mountains and hiking in New Hampshire and Vermont is excellent. Burlington Vermont is a great city on a great lake. Maine is an easy drive. Ma folks call Maine folks Mainiacs. Maine folks call Ma folks Massholes. Enjoy your retirement. Your in an area I would love to be if not for roots.

You are in a great place to travel. The mountains and hiking in New Hampshire and Vermont is excellent. Burlington Vermont is a great city on a great lake. Maine is an easy drive. Ma folks call Maine folks Mainiacs. Maine folks call Ma folks Massholes. Enjoy your retirement. Your in an area I would love to be if not for roots.

And the taxes are low, the drivers courteous, roads are smooth as silk and the weather is balmy all winter long!

Love all three of these states and visit them regularly. Actually heading up to Maine next month on the start of a driving trip to Canada. We hit VT and NH all the time.

It's not bad here, but the weather extremes make it tempting to flee at some point.
Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome Bob and congrats on the retirement. This thread is making me miss my Massachusetts roots (Wista area). Hoping to get back this fall for a short visit.

Welcome Bob and congrats on the retirement. This thread is making me miss my Massachusetts roots (Wista area). Hoping to get back this fall for a short visit.

Thanks very much for the welcome. Seems like a friendly bunch of people.

And the taxes are low, the drivers courteous, roads are smooth as silk and the weather is balmy all winter long!

Now that I have got up from the floor (after falling out of my chair laughing) I will get back to my morning coffee.

Back
Top Bottom