Reporter working on an early retirement story

KBellNYC

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello out there,

I'm a reporter at SmartMoney magazine and I'm working on an early retirement story. I'm looking to talk to people about how they planned (or are planning) their early retirements and, if you're already there, what your life is like now and how it's changed since your working days. I'm particularly interested in tracking down folks who've made big changes--which could mean anything from relocating to major cutbacks on expenses. If you're interested in speaking with me or learning more about the story, please send me an email at kbellstrom@hearst.com or give me a call at 212-830-9273.

Thanks very much,
Kristen Bellstrom
212-830-9273
kbellstrom@hearst.com

You might want to read these threads.
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...themselves-about-retirement-family-28133.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/would-you-bare-all-financially-in-a-magazine-27681.html

In light of the disclosures that major news organizations (e.g. NBC News) do find ways to pay the subject of their stories can you let us know how much the magazine will be paying and the conditions.

I think my story would be just what you are looking for and relevant to your readers:
Started out with nothing - working class background
Worked in corp. America for apx 25 years
Retired at 51
Gave up an easy, high level position in a glamerous field
I'm the same age as Bruce Willis and I look a little like him (if I loose 5 lbs) - even have the shaved head.
Right now I'm hiking and biking in Colorado - doing what I want.

Last edited:
Kristen and I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday (she worked way past 5 PM!) and I brought up those subjects. She understands those issues and, as far as I can tell from the way I've been treated, she doesn't have any agenda or spin. She asks the right questions, too, and Smart Money has already chatted with the Kaderlis.

This appears to be a multi-writer project that will occupy more than just a couple columns near Ben Stein's portrait. Kristen already has a real job to pay her bills and doesn't have to hope to be able to sensationalize your story into a product that some magazine might want to buy.

So if you're a poster who wants an opportunity to tell your story, she's knocking on your door.

You might want to read these threads.

In light of the disclosures that major news organizations (e.g. NBC News) do find ways to pay the subject of their stories can you let us know how much the magazine will be paying and the conditions.
Yeah!

Kristen and I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday (she worked way past 5 PM!) and I brought up those subjects. She understands those issues and, as far as I can tell from the way I've been treated, she doesn't have any agenda or spin. She asks the right questions, too, and Smart Money has already chatted with the Kaderlis.

This appears to be a multi-writer project that will occupy more than just a couple columns near Ben Stein's portrait. Kristen already has a real job to pay her bills and doesn't have to hope to be able to sensationalize your story into a product that some magazine might want to buy.

So if you're a poster who wants an opportunity to tell your story, she's knocking on your door.
My Nords, you've become quite the media whore!

DanTien,
I liked the pastrami on rye photos, you can not find that outside of NYC. I miss a good pastrami on rye, heavy on the mustard and a kinish on the side.
Next time you are in NYC check out the Blarney Stone at the South Street Seaport and let me know what you think. I know the owners. Ask for Mike or Rich (sometimes called Bonnie).

DanTien,
I liked the pastrami on rye photos, you can not find that outside of NYC. I miss a good pastrami on rye, heavy on the mustard and a kinish on the side.
Next time you are in NYC check out the Blarney Stone at the South Street Seaport and let me know what you think. I know the owners. Ask for Mike or Rick (sometimes called Bonnie).

Thank you Dex! My favorite sandwich, I get a physical reaction when I see a good one.....Thanks for the tip on the Blarney Stone.

You can buy carnegie deli pastrami at costco...a nice loaf of corn rye and make yourself up a batch of pickled onions, dab of mustard...

Knishes I miss dearly. You dont see them in california very often.

My Nords, you've become quite the media whore!
Thank you... I think! If we're only arguing over debating my salary then I'm not very good at it. It's at least as profitable as being a moderator.

I've patiently waited three years to hear from other ERs who've retired from the military and not immediately gone on to other work. Patience has not paid off so I'm taking a more proactive approach. I don't know how much longer I have to keep it up but we'll see whether or not it even works.

Thank you... I think! If we're only arguing over debating my salary then I'm not very good at it. It's at least as profitable as being a moderator.

I've patiently waited three years to hear from other ERs who've retired from the military and not immediately gone on to other work. Patience has not paid off so I'm taking a more proactive approach. I don't know how much longer I have to keep it up but we'll see whether or not it even works.

Nords, I caught the tail end of a program on public radio today talking about people leaving the military. The speaker (I don't know who) mentioned that people coming out of the military today have a hard time planning for the future including saving for retirement. He mentioned that many continue to carry a fatalistic attitude of "I could be dead tomorrow" so why plan for the future.

I would say that the military did instill in me the attitude that I could die on a moment's notice. However, I have always, even on active duty, planned for the worst and hoped for the best.

He mentioned that many continue to carry a fatalistic attitude of "I could be dead tomorrow" so why plan for the future.
Good point.

In "Imperial Grunts", Robert Kaplan writes of this exchange between a Special Forces colonel and a sergeant:
"Son, where's the rest of your body armor? Do you want to be killed?"
"Well, sir, my first ex-wife gets half my pension, my second ex-wife gets the other half, and my third wife gets my life insurance. So I'm not sure."

I just wonder how these people feel in their high 30s or their 40s when they realize what they could have been saving in their 20s...

i guess this is where i reveal that i was looking through want ads (notice i didn't call them need ads) when i happened to find your next 15 minutes of fame.

NATIONAL TV DOCUMENTARY

"If you feel you have an interesting story about retirement to tell, please reply to: RETIREMENTCASTING@GMAIL.COM with your NAME, AGE, LOCATION, OCCUPATION, TELEPHONE NUMBER, E-MAIL ADDRESS, AND A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF WHY YOUR STORY SHOULD BE TOLD."

I can see Nords' interest in wanting to help the military personnel. But for the life of me I can not understand why people want to expose their life for nothing! Andy Warhol was right about 15 minutes of fame.

Back
Top Bottom