Semi-retired 2 years ago and loving it!

Teacher Terry

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My hubby & I retired 2 years ago at ages 53 & 58. As we expected within 6 months we missed working but not the 9-5 gig. We both started our own consulting business doing what we had always done plus I also took on something new. We work about 15 hours/week and it has been the best of both worlds for us. WE are more frugal then most we know but also live on more $ then many at the Mr. MM website. Someone there suggested that this website might be a good match for older folks with a pension & a higher desired standard of living. I have been checking it out & like what I see.

Congratulations! Sounds like you're really in a great spot with a little part-time work on your own terms. Very nice! :)

Welcome aboard, Teacher Terry. Sounds like you'll fit right in.

omni

Hi Teacher Terry; You remind me of myself in that I have a business that I devote 15 hours or so a week to and I work from home. The business also enables me to fund a solo 401K and shelter significant income. Have you looked into this vehicle? I am over 55, so I can contribute up to $56,500 this year. If your DH is also a consultant he could do the same and between the two of you you could shelter over $100K a year.

Regarding the part time work, it has been marvelous to have a great deal of leisure time and flexibility but still a small chunk of purposeful productive time. The perfect glide path to eventual full retirement.:dance:

Last edited:
Welcome to ERF! I am a follower of the board for some time, am in the process of retiring right no. I think you'll finda wide variety of fine folks and much good discussion and information here. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Oops I was wrong, the max for 2014 is $57,000 for a solo 401K. Last year it was $56,500. This includes the individual contribution limit of $17,500 plus $5,500 catch up plus a profit sharing component of 25% of income up to a max contribution for 2014 of $57,000 (in other words an additional $34,000).

Last edited:
Oops I was wrong, the max for 2014 is $57,000 for a solo 401K. Last year it was $56,500. This includes the individual contribution limit of $17,500 plus $5,500 catch up plus a profit sharing component of 25% of income up to a max contribution for 2014 up to $57,000 (in other words an additional $34,000).
For verification, the IRS website: One-Participant 401(k) Plans

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds!

Welcome T.T. I too am a fan of the Mr. Money M. website but...it seems to be more devoted to a younger to middle age group who are learning how to do with less and save more. This site leans much more to people who are close to or in early retirement. Both sites have a lot to offer, just different points of view.

For great investment discussions I can also recommend the folks over at Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info Lot of smart people there who are very helpful.

Welcome aboard!

i agree that MM has a much younger crowd & are more frugal then I desire to be. When I was young & poor we had only 1 car-I would not want to be in that position now or bike everywhere. Also the older folks keep warning the younger ones that health insurance is going to be an issue as they age as far as cost, etc but most don't want to believe it. Anyways, I do enjoy that site too but think that this forum will be a better match to where I am in life.

So, what are these 15-hour-a week businesses? I'm 6 months into retirement and starting to get *bored* but can't bear the thought of having to be somewhere at a specific time.

My hubby is an engineer & I teach online college courses and also do consulting for injured workers.

Back
Top Bottom