Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

It's like herding cats!
A famous quote from Voltaire is helpful here too, even though so many years have passed: “If you wish to converse with me,define your terms.”

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I did a quick search and didn't immediately find a poll on retirement portfolio sizes, although I did find this poll on net worth.

If you decide that you want to post a poll of portfolio sizes, go right ahead! Be sure to define what you want people to include. I guarantee you that otherwise, some will include their home, some won't, some will include investment real estate, some won't, and some will include their pension and/or SS, and some won't, some will include cash, some won't.
Hmm, I'd need to explore how a poll is created...never done it and no survey skills . And like you voiced above, it might be tricky. Yesterday I was curious of the size of 401k (or similar plans) + IRA's + Taxable accounts. This would show today's value of their savings. However, it gets a bit muddy as some people save money to buy a rental property that might have a mortgage and maintenance but still an income producing asset (a bit similar to holding REITs or dividend stocks).

Old 05-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
Hmm, I'd need to explore how a poll is created...never done it and no survey skills . And like you voiced above, it might be tricky. Yesterday I was curious of the size of 401k (or similar plans) + IRA's + Taxable accounts. This would show today's value of their savings. However, it gets a bit muddy as some people save money to buy a rental property that might have a mortgage and maintenance but still an income producing asset (a bit similar to holding REITs or dividend stocks).
When you begin a brand new thread, at the bottom (before you post it) you will see something like what I attached below. Just check that you want it to be a poll, and enter the number of options. In the next step you'll have to state a question, like "How big is your portfolio, as defined in the first post below?" or something like that. Then you'll need to put some verbiage next to each option, like for example "$2,000,001 - $5,000,000" or whatever you decide on for each one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (17.7 KB, 9 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtoUS View Post
We are living on $160k passive income a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
Our initial target was $1,250,000, but after hanging out here for a while, I am now starting to think we need more like $1.5 million
I can appreciate how you might get that impression. But the key thing to keep in mind is that most people here use their financial resources in an optimum manner. And it is those lessons that make the forum worthwhile.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When you begin a brand new thread, at the bottom (before you post it) you will see something like what I attached below. Just check that you want it to be a poll, and enter the number of options. In the next step you'll have to state a question, like "How big is your portfolio, as defined in the first post below?" or something like that. Then you'll need to put some verbiage next to each option, like for example "$2,000,001 - $5,000,000" or whatever you decide on for each one.
W2R, now I see you're an admin . Could you help me?
I created the poll here What's the size of your portfolio?, but I made votes public in error. Would you be able to clear the box that says to make poster's vote public instead of deleting the whole post and poll? People won't want to vote for such a nosy persona.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. You can delete this comment as well. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
I agree, this forum is starting to make me feel poor, and that I need several million dollars in order to retire. Our initial target was $1,250,000, but after hanging out here for a while, I am now starting to think we need more like $1.5 milllion so we can spend $20,000/year on health insurance & health expenses if needed. I kind of feel like an underachiever on this forum because we have never made enough to make it into the 25% tax bracket. Then again, maybe I fit in somewhere in between this group & the MMM group. We would have to work until we die to save up $4 or $5 milllion. Then again, maybe that is how much a retired couple will need to successfullly survive the wild west of US health insurance & healthcare costs that may be coming (back) soon.
Fidelity has a rudimentary retirement score that is quite a bit less lofty than some of the numbers commonly thrown around here: https://communications.fidelity.com/pi/2015/retirement/

For what it is worth, we're budgeting $10K a year for age 65+ health costs (2 people X 30 years X $10K = $300K), which is not far off the Fidelity projections of $245K.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote