What to say

Enjoying

Confused about dryer sheets
Greetings,

I am new here. I notified management about my retirement plans. Now today will tell staff. How does one make such an announcement without tearing up? I am so excited to be free of my obligation, at the same time sad to leave. Its been my life. Any thoughts as to what I can say that won't cause me to tear up:confused:?

Don't be afraid to tear up. A little genuine emotion is not a bad thing. Those who you are leaving behind will appreciate knowing that they have great meaning in your life. Let your guard down.

don't be afraid to tear up. A little genuine emotion is not a bad thing. Those who you are leaving behind will appreciate knowing that they have great meaning in your life. Let your guard down.

x2, & congrats!!!

Tell them that you love them.....tell them that you'll miss them.....tell them that you want to be updated about everything in their personal lives....tell them that you won't be working with them but you hope they stay your friends. Give them your e mail and phone number....tear up with a smile......if I remember correctly from a few years back there is a great Mexican restaurant near Grand River and 5 mile.....tell them you'll meet them there for lunch. .......and, don't say anything you don't really believe and mean.....most of your communication will be non verbal......your expressions will tell them how you feel....most important, do it your way......You will be your best you if you do! Good luck and Congratulations on your ability to retire and begin a new part of your life.

I prepared my remarks in writing well in advance and said goodbye one-on-one with the individuals I cared most about before "the speech" expecting both to keep my emotions in check. I think it helped, but I still got a little choked up. That's OK, as long as you don't breakdown altogether maybe.

Only advice I can give is have your remarks well thought out, keep it brief but meaningful. The last thing I'd want to do is attempt to wing it and get emotional too, I would have blathered on and wasted the moment, at least I had a script to keep me on track.

Remind yourself that it's not really goodbye, you can see them all after you retire of you want to.

And the one-on-one goodbyes were much more important and heart felt than "the speech" IMO.

Last edited:
One thing that helped me was to just think of the jerks that I worked with / for, that would not be missed.

One thing that helped me was to just think of the jerks that I worked with / for, that would not be missed.

HA! Yes, it was real easy for me to leave. The only thing I missed was a chance to run over the boss in the parking lot.

HA! Yes, it was real easy for me to leave. The only thing I missed was a chance to run over the boss in the parking lot.
It is not too late, and it would be harder to prove a motive. >:D

I'm wondering is some of the tears shed at retirements aren't tears of joy...

I think just be sincere, let them know you appreciate their support and friendships. Offer to stay in touch with lunches or get-togethers after work. Show you value them as people, not just as co-workers.

it is also OK to tell them this is something you have been looking forward to and excited about the change in your life that is near.

You said work had been your life, just make sure you have something to retire to. Too many people leave and then have no good idea of what to do with themselves and the time.

I haven't done mine and won't get to for many moons. However, this is how I keep fantasizing it: a one by one visit to each person I know. The ones I've enjoyed, I will tell them exactly how they have positively affected my life, all of the sunshine I can muster. The ones that have made my life difficult, I will commence a one-sided airing of grievances. I'd do the positive ones first, then the rest. It'd take a while, so I imagine HR would intervene as some point, which is probably a fitting end for this rascal's career. :D

Last edited:
I told people how retiring was bittersweet in that I was so looking forward to a different chapter in life but at the same time would miss the challenges and fulfillment of work and particularly the people that I worked with. Conveniently, it also happened to be the truth.

Just be yourself and you'll be great.

I haven't done mine and won't get to for many moons. However, this is how I keep fantasizing it: a one by one visit to each person I know. The ones I've enjoyed, I will tell them exactly how they have positively affected my life, all of the sunshine I can muster. The ones that have made my life difficult, I will commence a one-sided airing of grievances. I'd do the positive ones first, then the rest. It'd take a while, so I imagine HR would intervene as some point, which is probably a fitting end for this rascal's career. :D

Bert-

Hopefully, by the time those moons have come and gone, you will have decided to forego this bit. I suggest it will create more negativity (for you) than it will bring satisfaction. Focusing on the positive experiences, with the positive motivation of telling those people how much joy they've brought you, will be better for you; and will be yet another positive experience that you will remember and savor. Just food for thought.

In my somewhat off-the-cuff speech I made when a bunch of coworkers gathered at my desk on my last day, I spoke for a few minutes about an important general skill I learned and fine-tuned in my 23 years of working - how to write well - and how I improved that skill in great part due to the writing skills of the mid-level supervisory staff (which I had joined 8 years in my career) in my department.

I also mentioned how I liked being able to aid struggling subordinates and watch them get better at their jobs in their crucial formative years. I singled out one woman who was standing a few feet from me who had become a fine staff member and she told me later in emails (we have stayed in touch) that she was very grateful to me for helping her and for mentioning her in my speech.

Bert-

Hopefully, by the time those moons have come and gone, you will have decided to forego this bit. I suggest it will create more negativity (for you) than it will bring satisfaction. Focusing on the positive experiences, with the positive motivation of telling those people how much joy they've brought you, will be better for you; and will be yet another positive experience that you will remember and savor. Just food for thought.
That's probably the best response someone could make for my situation. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom