Join Early Retirement Today

Would like the option of "retiring" in about 13 years
Old 06-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Would like the option of "retiring" in about 13 years

Hello everyone!

My name is Michael. Currently, I thoroughly enjoy my work in corporate finance for a biotech, but I would like to take steps to have the "option" of retiring in about 13 years. My dream upon retiring is to be a part time economics teacher at a public high school.

The best experience of my life was when I was a Peace Corps volunteer for three years in the Andean mountains of Ecuador. I had so little in terms of material possessions but was so rich in the number of experiences, challenges to my views of the world, and confidence that I could live anywhere and adapt.

Best,

Michael
tennislover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi I'm new too. Hoping to learn more as I go along! Welcome
wiseguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wasn't aware that they had part-time teachers in high school but good luck.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, tennislover , your story so far sounds ideal. I'm curious how old you are. 13 years strikes me as very doable in a hot field like biotech, lots of upside possibilities without moving.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Yes, I doubt that the teacher's union would look favourably upon that. Oh well!

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I was a part time (2/3 time) math and science teacher in 1975-1976, at a private high school in Meridian, Mississippi as a moonlighting job while also on the chemistry faculty at Meridian College. Teachers in math and science were pretty hard for high schools to find at that place and time. I had plenty of background in the subject matter, but no background in education. As I recall, for a temporary certification all that was required was to promise that I would take some education courses during the summer, which I never did.

From what I understand, things have changed and it is not as easy to teach part time now as it was then. Maybe you could be a substitute teacher, or maybe (recalling your satisfaction with your Peace Corps experiences) you could teach part time in another country.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Welcome
I did some sub teaching in the early 80s, in HS math and science and whatnot in elementary and middle schools. I was 21 at the time, with a BS degree, and just some College W*rk Study experience. No certification for subs was required.
I found the "call in for 1 day only" sub teaching routine to be too demanding of my time. The general rule was I got a last minute call at o'dark thirty and had to hustle to get to the school. That got old very quickly.
Maybe take a look at adjunct professor at local colleges, part time status, or maybe the high school trade oriented programs (here in NY it is called Board of Cooperative and Educational Services BOCES).
Several of my former cow*rkers taught college level short courses in the evening, rotating with several others within 1 semester. They enjoyed the experience.
My guess is most states are requiring some sort of certification these days.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
They are called subsitute teachers.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My guess is most states are requiring some sort of certification these days.
Yep -- between NCLB and increased scrutiny of people working with children in the public sphere, there's a lot more today -- educational requirements, fingerprinting, background checks and so on. And the certification is required to demonstrate you've successfully jumped through all these hoops -- and it's not just for teachers but many supporting staff and paraprofessionals as well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend who teaches math part time at a high school--I think he has three or four classes a day (out of a possible seven periods). I don't know if most high schools offer economics but maybe they do.

Also, maybe you can go back into the Peace Corps when you retire?