1950 vs 2013 Formula One Pit Stop

If lap times improved as much as pit stops over that time frame, the present day cars would be a complete blur going around the track.

Although I like F1 racing I watch a lot more NASCAR events. However, I was watching the F1 race in Austin last week and was amazed at how quick the pit stops were. (~3 seconds to change tires - wow) I guess I was out of touch with the F1 pit stop rules too. I didn't realize that refueling in the pits hasn't been allowed since 2009.

Given that speed is the goal, that's one heck of a process improvement! I had to watch the 2013 clip twice to see the tires being changed. Unbelievable.

Given that speed is the goal, that's one heck of a process improvement! I had to watch the 2013 clip twice to see the tires being changed. Unbelievable.

I was also shocked at the difference...but also amazed that in the 1950 clip, the last guy on the car was wiping the windshield for about 2 seconds! Couldn't he have done that earlier while the other guy was changing the tires? :) Even back then every second counted.

And also surprised that they didn't multi-task. The 1950 announcer referenced the "4-man rule" on pit crew size, but was surprised that they had just the one guy messing around with the tires for most of the time, instead of the windshield wiper assisting with the tires, etc. Perhaps their rule also said only one guy can do the tires?

I was also shocked at the difference...but also amazed that in the 1950 clip, the last guy on the car was wiping the windshield for about 2 seconds! Couldn't he have done that earlier while the other guy was changing the tires? :) Even back then every second counted.

And also surprised that they didn't multi-task. The 1950 announcer referenced the "4-man rule" on pit crew size, but was surprised that they had just the one guy messing around with the tires for most of the time, instead of the windshield wiper assisting with the tires, etc. Perhaps their rule also said only one guy can do the tires?

Yes, there were a lot of wasted opportunities in the 1950 clip.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom