$4.97 a pound

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got to wondering again, this time when I was having dinner alone (Tuesdays are eating- dinner-alone-night for redduck) and noticed a Ralphs (Kroger) full-page newspaper ad. One of the items advertised was “flap meat”. I had never heard of “flap meat” although as I’ve grown older, my hearing has deteriorated, so it might have been mentioned in my presence- –I really don’t know. Anyhow, flap meat was only $4.97 a pound with a Ralphs card. My question is (and I certainly didn’t want to ask the girl behind meat counter about this), how much flap meat is needed to serve three? Now, I’m thinking because it’s flap meat it doesn’t make much difference how much each person gets as it would seem that a ¼ of a pound would do the job just as well as a full pound. (LBYM?) Same thing might hold true if eating out: why order the grand flap meat when the petit flap meat would be equally as unsatisfying?

You know, I'm not expecting many replies to this thread.

Last edited:
We have sirloin tips all the time and $4.97 a pound is a very good price in my experience. Our local meat market marinates them in oil and vinegar and spices (sort of like italian dressing) for days and then I grill them up at home. They are yummy but at home the price is closer to $8.99/lb.

What I would suggest is that you buy 1.5-2.0 pounds, marinate them for at least a day in italian dressing marinade and then grill on high direct heat. When the outsides are seared the insides will be done as they are not very thick.

Make sure that it is not select... our store sales a lot of different steak for that price, but it is always select...

I will go choice or prime... select is not worth it to me... (spoiled I guess)...

Ahh, but was it free range flap meat? Did it have a good fling before ending up on your dinner plate?

Back
Top Bottom