Protein powder and benefits - choices galore!

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
It's been a while since I have seen a thread hashing out protein powder drinks and their benefits. Old news was there were several choices of this magic stuff and they were reasonable in cost. People just added milk, water ice, fruit, etc and blended it up and that was it.

But we are in a new dimension of retail pricing and all the powders I have been trying to make sense out of are EXPENSIVE.....like twice what I remember them costing a few years ago. (hello inflation!) And now there are hundreds to choose from!:facepalm:

My reason for starting this thread is that I have lost around 25 pounds in the last few months, mainly from depression (grieving), not eating much and a lifestyle change. But I am getting past that to some extent, I believe. I'm not down to my "good old days" of a long distance runner weight (150 pounds) at 5' 11" tall, but somewhere around 190 pounds (not a chiseled physique, but soft and cuddly one):D I have also lost an inch to 5'10".....:confused:

Never again will I see anywhere near 150 as my old body is not as strong and limber and has several metal parts installed now! I still walk 8,000-10,000 steps on average each day though. My new goal is 175 pounds and I think I can do it by next October (or sooner) when I will be celebrating my 80th birthday.

With respect to these protein powders, I am trying to figure out what will be a good choice for me to add the needed protein an old guy needs and help maintain muscle as I lose the 15 or so pounds that I plan on losing. I would like to use a protein drink to supplement my "somewhat" low carb diet that I have been following (not Keto, but less than 100 carbs per day). I'm OK adding fruit to some extent and blending up some kind of drink that will replace one meal.

Logging food over the last few months indicates I am holding between 1,500 and 2,000 calories per day with no problem and off the "white foods". I am not a vegan either.

I'm looking for suggestions on the powder(s) that would be the right choice for me (old man, walks a lot, plays golf weekly) and some ideas on the concoction of a blended drink mix keeping it low carb to some extent.

Thanks!:cool:

This is what I was using and, coincidentally with your post, I'm thinking about restarting as I don't eat any high quality protein on any regular basis.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L94L214/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No sugar (sucralose), low carb, whey protein (complete protein from good, fully utilizable animal source, not soy)

Inflation hasn't been that bad. I checked my records. Last time I bought this stuff (back in 2021) it ran between $25 and $29 depending on flavor.

DW and I enjoy a Protein Premier shake everyday after we exercise, although we buy the prepared shakes from Sam's instead of the powder (yes, I know this generates more waste than the powder :(). The cake mix flavor is amazing.

Remember your body needs the amino acids from the protein to build muscle, but you have to actually do something to build the muscle like weight bearing exercise. Otherwise you're just spending money to make urea.

Premier Protein shakes are a good thing to keep in the fridge for a ready-made. They have the best flavors and taste good. Costco for case packs.

Optimum Nutrition is a good brand for tubs of whey protein. There are lots of ways to add it to things like yogurt, overnight oats, as well as shakes. Fage 2 percent yogurt is another good source. Mix a scoop of vanilla protein powder into plain yogurt, sprinkle some chia seeds maybe a little cereal and you've got yourself a 40 gram breakfast. Easy to find a lot of recipes for this sort of thing.

But yeah, if you're not actively doing things to build muscle, it's not going to help. So add some weight bearing stuff, even just a pair of dumbbells or an unloaded bar, and go for some basic lifts and squats.

Never again will I see anywhere near 150 as my old body is not as strong and limber and has several metal parts installed now! I still walk 8,000-10,000 steps on average each day though. My new goal is 175 pounds and I think I can do it by next October (or sooner) when I will be celebrating my 80th birthday.

Diet and walking is part of it, but you also need to start lifting weights or start a resistance training program to regain muscle mass and strength.

But yeah, if you're not actively doing things to build muscle, it's not going to help. So add some weight bearing stuff, even just a pair of dumbbells or an unloaded bar, and go for some basic lifts and squats.

Diet and walking is part of it, but you also need to start lifting weights or start a resistance training program to regain muscle mass and strength.

I agree the protein will not do much, unless your diet is deficient, and then adding it will only help prevent some loss, not add muscle. You need to move heavy weight to add muscle, only then would you need additional protein to rebuild the muscle you broke down and rebuild it bigger..

OK, OK, I'll go lift some weight. I hate it when that guy in my mind tells me what I should be doing! :LOL:

I agree the protein will not do much, unless your diet is deficient, and then adding it will only help prevent some loss, not add muscle. You need to move heavy weight to add muscle, only then would you need additional protein to rebuild the muscle you broke down and rebuild it bigger..

OK, OK, I'll go lift some weight. I hate it when that guy in my mind tells me what I should be doing! :LOL:

If someone invented a pill that had the same benefits that resistance training has, it would be considered the safest and most successful drug in history.

Premier Protein shakes are a good thing to keep in the fridge for a ready-made. They have the best flavors and taste good. Costco for case packs.

Optimum Nutrition is a good brand for tubs of whey protein. There are lots of ways to add it to things like yogurt, overnight oats, as well as shakes. Fage 2 percent yogurt is another good source. Mix a scoop of vanilla protein powder into plain yogurt, sprinkle some chia seeds maybe a little cereal and you've got yourself a 40 gram breakfast. Easy to find a lot of recipes for this sort of thing.

+1 on the Premier Protein shakes. Our Costco has only 3 flavors at a time, but we’ve ordered different flavors from Walmart at about the same price. Root Beer float, chocolate mint, and chocolate peanut butter can make a nice change to my usual peach and banana shakes.

I also agree with the Fage yogurt, readily available in many stores, but if you’re in Costco, I’d try their Kirkland nonfat Greek yogurt. It has an even better texture than Fage and seems more like a full-fat yogurt.

Premier Protein and Kirkland NF yogurt are our quick protein staples, and like Aerides we add chia, often berries and walnuts, and we have a filling breakfast that lasts a while.

Last edited:
If someone invented a pill that had the same benefits that resistance training has, it would be considered the safest and most successful drug in history.

Peter Attia had a piece the other day on a new drug that might do just that.
It's called locamidazole (LAMZ) and the paper about it is here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41413-022-00225-w

So that's very good news if you're a mouse. It remains to be seen what effect it will have on us, if any.

Looks like resistance work is in the cards for me based on the responses so far. Golf is not enough I guess. I never was much of a weight workout guy, but I will have to start. Thanks for the replies.

My DD's husband has a workout room in their house. I need to go look at it. There is also one in the Clubhouse here that I need to visit.

I'll go to Costco today to pick up a jub of whey protein powder and some goodies to mix into it too.

I use muscle milk protein powder. I blend it with a fruit like strawberries, blueberries, or a banana, and also oats. You can buy it in bulk packages at Costco.

I'll go to Costco today to pick up a jub of whey protein powder and some goodies to mix into it too.

If possible, get one that is sugar-free or unsweetened. Most protein powders are loaded with extra sugars and/or sweeteners. Best to buy the plain, unsweetened kind and then add your own flavorings. I use stevia in mine, as it has no effect on blood sugar or insulin secretion.

Quite a bit of difference between the brands. DW often has to rely on these due to difficulty swallowing, and she strongly prefers the taste of the Ensure brand over the Costco Premier.

If possible, get one that is sugar-free or unsweetened. Most protein powders are loaded with extra sugars and/or sweeteners. Best to buy the plain, unsweetened kind and then add your own flavorings. I use stevia in mine, as it has no effect on blood sugar or insulin secretion.

I bought this one on Amazon for $32, which seems to fit the bill you describe. I like to down it after yoga. I mix it with a scoop of Creatine powder and sweeten it with Stevia or with chocolate milk.

Attachments

• IMG_3551.JPG
    IMG_3551.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3552.JPG
    IMG_3552.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 29
Premier Protein Shakes seem chalky to me, like shakes made with protein powder. Fairlife protein shakes are really nice (not chalky and it tastes like real milk shake), but they seem to get sold out at Costco as soon as they come in, and they only sell chocolate there. They are too expensive if you buy them at anywhere else, but I like their banana and strawberries the best.

But we are in a new dimension of retail pricing and all the powders I have been trying to make sense out of are EXPENSIVE.....like twice what I remember them costing a few years ago. (hello inflation!) And now there are hundreds to choose from!:facepalm:
There's no high inflation, at least what I gathered perusing the forum. The government reports confirm that. {insert the biggest sarcasm tag you can find}

That's what my DW went with when she was recovering from colon surgery and needed to build back up her strength. Long since recovered, she still like to add the unsweetened protein to her drinks and food from time to time.

Last edited:
We get the Bobs Red Mill GF Soy protein powder. Listed ingredients: isolated soy protein, soy lecithin
No added fats, sugar, or flavoring.

One scoop (1/4 cup, depending on how much you want to make) with any flavor yogurt, veggies and/or fruits, ice (if not using frozen fruit), water.
I love adding carrots, sweet pepper, cucumbers along with any fresh or frozen fruit.
Occasionally add spinach or kale.

But we are in a new dimension of retail pricing and all the powders I have been trying to make sense out of are EXPENSIVE.....like twice what I remember them costing a few years ago. (hello inflation!)

My new goal is 175 pounds and I think I can do it by next October (or sooner) when I will be celebrating my 80th birthday.

You're almost 80, I can't think of a better way to spend your money than on your body.

Good for you AJ stay positive!
I am taking a scoop full of Gold 100% Whey Protein powder (double Chocolate) about 5-6 day's a week for the last 3 months. I add it to a glass of water and lately enjoying it with a glass of 2% milk which equals a total of 32 grams of protein.
I am 66 years old, and also hit the gym 5-6 days a week doing resistance training and cardio.

Good for you AJ stay positive!
I am taking a scoop full of Gold 100% Whey Protein powder (double Chocolate) about 5-6 day's a week for the last 3 months. I add it to a glass of water and lately enjoying it with a glass of 2% milk which equals a total of 32 grams of protein.
I am 66 years old, and also hit the gym 5-6 days a week doing resistance training and cardio.

Excellent! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom