63 and still deep in parenthood and the “not good”

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 22 year old daughter and her long term boyfriend spent Saturday putting together Halloween costumes. A group of the last may college graduates had purchased tickets to a halloween event at a brewery at a trendy part of Philly. Another parent agreed to drop them off. As I understand it they would grab an uber back. A couple of the ladies planed on sleeping over. I give the gym generation a their due -they don’t drive after partying. Although I said nothing - I am not a big fan of bars - further this old man knows that bad things happen after 1AM. Her choice was a movie character that include shorts, fishnet stockings and a shiney jacket. My daughter is a looker, tall and gym toned. Not good. Again I simply said “there are people who dress like that normally.” What I didn’t say they work in the oldest profession known to man.

I almost woke when they came in - that is I heard something and maybe I raised my head off the pillow an inch but I fell back asleep immediately. In the morning the Mrs. told me they got home around three. I thought to myself ‘not good’ but they are kids or young adults..right? By the time first one came down around 9 I had been awake for 3 and half hours. Other then saying one of the girl’s mother had picked them up. She said little “thanks for letting me sleep over” and was off. This particular honors college graduate has a half dozen med school applications out there. I thought -wow 3AM and she came and picked them up.. quite a Mom. When the second one came down the tidbits of information starting coming in. My daughter left he phone at the bar. Not good. We are going back at 2PM to get it; she isn’t feeling well. She was fine then suddenly starting violently throwing up. Double not good. They had to lead her out of the bar. Parent question #1: How many drinks did you have? Answer: a couple. I was thinking hungover and miserable- ok lesson hopefully learned. Except by 3pm shes still sick, now with a blinding headache and I’m on the phone with poison control. Verdict if she cant hold down water take her to the emergency room. We force her to drink and I go with the boyfriend and retrieve the phone. 6PM and after another round in the bathroom and she says her stomach is feeling a little better. 8PM and another round of nausea and then shes asleep.

She’s upstairs sleeping now and it is nearly 7AM - normally she be out the door for work ten minutes ago. This old man suspects that something doesn’t jive - at that age I’d blow through a hangover by noon the latest. Rarely any later. The boyfriend says one minute she was fine the next quite ill. Not good. We looked up the effects of someone putting a “roofy” in your drink and they match dead on.

Did I mention that the son is struggling with his history course...Not good.

Last edited:
Sad.
I was a newly divorced bachelor in my late 20's and I started doing the club crawl. I had quite an epiphany when I saw all the ladies dancing with drink in hand (to avoid being drugged). And yup, sh!t tends to go south in the wee hours....

***sighs***
Aah the never ending "joys" of parenthood. No advice Ray, just a bunch of empathy. there are days when I truly love the minions and then days where I like the dog Hobbes "waaay" better.

Hope your daughter is fine.

note: I'm a native NY'er, was in my 20's during the "disco" 80's. me and my girlfriends were probably the original "sex in the city" girls, although without the money. I too dance with drink in hand.

Ask her what she was drinking. Probably not but it is pretty easy to get food poisoning from some mixed drinks when the mixes aren't store properly. Don't ask me how I know!

Buy your DD the Gavin DeBecker books The Gift of Fear and Fearless. This stuff doesn't always happen to "someone else". Having said that anyone that ever watched Cops or LivePD know that "a couple" is the standard answer you give when questioned about the amount of booze you consumed.

As for your son's history class, that's not your concern.To be frank you appear to hover way too much over the boy. Its kind of hard to screw up a history class if you show up and do the work. It's history not brain surgery.

Last edited:
Its not uncommon for someone to get slipped a mickey. Date rape drugs are easy to come by. If you're a female never accept a drink from someone. Never drink large mouthed drinks in a club...like a martini. Stick to bottled beer and make sure you see the bartender open it and hand it to you. Thats just how it is now...and thats how its always been...this isnt anything new.

Happens to dudes too but not nearly as common. Use common sense and you should be alright.

This is where you sit her down and say "enough with the 'couple of drinks' line" what happened.

And if she won't say more, you take her to the ER and get a blood test done which will show if/what else is in her system.

This is where you sit her down and say "enough with the 'couple of drinks' line" what happened.

And if she won't say more, you take her to the ER and get a blood test done which will show if/what else is in her system.

Yes but that should have been done yesterday.

She’s upstairs sleeping now and it is nearly 7AM - normally she be out the door for work ten minutes ago. This old man suspects that something doesn’t jive - at that age I’d blow through a hangover by noon the latest. Rarely any later. The boyfriend says one minute she was fine the next quite ill. Not good. We looked up the effects of someone putting a “roofy” in your drink and they match dead on.

IMHO, very, very unlikely that someone put a date rape-type drug in her drink. All throughout my heaviest, craziest party years (late teens - late twenties), I never once heard of this happening to anyone I knew and I never heard a single guy (friend or acquaintance) talking about it. And I strongly suspect these types of drugs are even harder to get today than they were back then.

Sounds to me like she just drank far too much and may have suffered the thoroughly miserable effects of a brush with alcohol poisoning. That I did see a number of times in my college years and 20s, and actually it can be much more dangerous than ingesting something like rohypnol.

Ugh. This is the part of parenting young adults that is so difficult---learning to let go and let them learn by their mistakes. The hard part is making sure (hoping/praying) the mistakes don't harm them.
When she is feeling better, an honest, heartfelt discussion (not lecture) may help.
Sorry you both are experiencing this.

I vote she drank shots, a lot of shots. I also vote letting both kids stand on their own two feet when they screw up. Why isn't she getting her own forgotten phone (hint: check her texts if you pick it up to get a sense of the evening) back at the bar? And why is your son not taking responsibility for his own history test--it should have nothing to do with his father.

Last edited:
I am 100% serious. This, in a small way, could be a good thing. It's possible your daughter - for the first time - drank in excess and suffered the unsurprising after-effects. If she learns from this, it could be a good lesson learned.
I hope she fully recovers from this episode quickly.

IMHO, very, very unlikely that someone put a date rape-type drug in her drink. All throughout my heaviest, craziest party years (late teens - late twenties), I never once heard of this happening to anyone I knew and I never heard a single guy (friend or acquaintance) talking about it. And I strongly suspect these types of drugs are even harder to get today than they were back then.

Not so fast, Sojourner. I just had lunch with a former coworker who was telling me that a former college classmate of his now 29-year old son was putting date-rape drugs in various female's drinks in the past few years (post-college). This is in an upscale area. My friend didn't get into a lot of detail but did say the father of one of the victims is a lawyer and is doggedly pursuing this kid. :nonono:

About 10-15 years ago, a friend of a friend, in her 40s, was out clubbing with friends in another nice area of town and suffered effects similar to having ingested a date-rape drug. Luckily, her real estate office was a few blocks way from the club and she managed to get herself over there before passing out, unmolested. :nonono:

omni

Not so fast, Sojourner. I just had lunch with a former coworker who was telling me that a former college classmate of his now 29-year old son was putting date-rape drugs in various female's drinks in the past few years (post-college). This is in an upscale area. My friend didn't get into a lot of detail but did say the father of one of the victims is a lawyer and is doggedly pursuing this kid. :nonono:

About 10-15 years ago, a friend of a friend, in her 40s, was out clubbing with friends in another nice area of town and suffered effects similar to having ingested a date-rape drug. Luckily, her real estate office was a few blocks way from the club and she managed to get herself over there before passing out, unmolested. :nonono:

omni
Since this young lady was with a serious BF, I'd ask her if any other men bought her drinks...

omni

I certainly didn't mean to imply that it never happens. Clearly, it does. But the incidence is low enough that you could say it's very unlikely that any one individual case of a woman having a very bad hangover with symptoms of alcohol poisoning was actually given a date-rate drug surreptitiously. I read some statistics recently that indicated that around 4% of all sexual encounters that could be classified as rape or attempted rape involved someone unwittingly ingesting a date-rape drug. So my only point was that, based on what @rayinpenn posted, it seems very unlikely to be the case here.

Ray, sorry you're dealing with this. My gut reaction is that she's far more likely to be dealing with a strong hangover than some kind of drug slipped in. Either way, hopefully her discomfort will be a lesson not to do it again.

Yes hangovers are rough. That is part of the reason I do not drink hard liquor anymore. It's just not worth it.

Ray, sorry you're dealing with this. My gut reaction is that she's far more likely to be dealing with a strong hangover than some kind of drug slipped in. Either way, hopefully her discomfort will be a lesson not to do it again.

+1

Honorable minion #1 could not wait to turn 21 and be able to drink legally. Him and his buds are HUGE philadelphia Eagles fans and I think they had visions of being one of the lovely fans at Lincoln financial.

Well boyfriend turns 21, gets 4 tickets to an eagle game for his birthday. him and his friends sashay down to the game, have a gay old time.

Next day not only was he sick from his hangover, he was dead broke from $10 dollar warm beers. :rolleyes:

yeah dude, that's the part they don't tell you on all those sexy bud lite commercials.

I'm thinking food poisoning too. Lotta cheap bar food out for who knows how long, maybe left out too long, not kept hot or cold enough.

Really? This is an adult women, not a teen age delinquent.
Roofies are possible, but was she unconscious when she came home? If no I'd think contaminated ice from the bar caused food poisoning.

Ray, not sure what you are looking for in this thread, but given the continuing saga of how you view and judge your children’s lives and the choices they make, it may be time for some tough love. She’s an adult, yet you disapprove of the way she dressed and her behavior. From your comments, it sounds like you did those things when you were younger (well, maybe not the fishnets, but yes to the drinking). Maybe it’s time you let your daughter live her life. If that’s not possible while she lives with you, perhaps it’s time for her to move on.

At a minimum, it looks like everyone there needs clearer boundaries.

If her condition was serious enough to call the poison help line, it was also serious enough to interrogate the other adults in her group. Did you just ask a couple of question and accept vague, evasive answers? They should have provided enough detail to understand if this is more likely to be food poisoning, excess alcohol, a stomach virus, the flu, or something more serious.

[-]If I were 22 and made a bad choice[/-] When I was 22 and made a bad choice, what I didn’t need was my parents to come along and rub my nose in it. Even if they saw it, what I needed was for them to turn a blind eye and pretend it never happened. Everyone makes bad choices in life. For some, this is a source of valuable life lessons, maturity, and personal growth.

him and his friends sashay down to the game, have a gay old time.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that." Jerry Seinfeld.

I'm thinking food poisoning too. Lotta cheap bar food out for who knows how long, maybe left out too long, not kept hot or cold enough.

Roofies are possible, but was she unconscious when she came home? If no I'd think contaminated ice from the bar caused food poisoning.

Unless she drank FAR too much, food poisoning or some other contamination could very well be possible.

When I was in my early 20's, a night out on the town for a holiday celebration was almost sure to result in at least a few friends spending the next day using the bathroom to empty their stomach multiple times. The overwhelming majority of whom turned out to be well-adjusted, successful adults (and most of whom discovered their limits and stayed below them the overwhelming majority of the time). Of course, back then there was a reasonable chance that at least a couple of them would also forget they weren't supposed to drive themselves home that night... Uber etc is great for "responsible" irresponsible adult behavior.

It sucks when it's your daughter or other family member, but women (especially good looking women) tend to enjoy that it's acceptable for them to dress slutty (err.. sexy) on Halloween.

While it's possible she could have been slipped something, or ate something bad, or just drank too much; remember that she did so with a plan for being responsible (not driving drunk, knowing where the night was going to start and end, etc) and did so in a relatively controlled environment (with her serious boyfriend and multiple friends who would be looking out for her throughout the night just by being there with her). Be happy she's safe and learning her lessons in these years without coming into any serious trouble.

Normally I'd agree, but a 22 year old living still at home is (IMO) less of an adult than say a 21 year old living independently.

Ray's post was made 30+ hours after she came home, well past the normal spell of a hangover, and indicated she was still unwell, which might mean more than just alcohol. Or if it is, it's dangerous amounts. More likely there was something other ingested... willingly or unwillingly, or accidentally. Hence press her for more info (again because she lives under Ray's roof, and said "only a couple of drinks").

I had plenty of regrettable nights in my teens and early 20's, but no hangover that lasted beyond 24 hours. Saturday night bender = Sunday night praying to the porcelain.., but able to fake it to parents for sunday dinner. And Monday morning would be like it never happened.

But hopefully this is all moot now and she's fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom