72 y.o. Texas Grandma wins $40,000 (follow-up to old post)

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The post from a few months ago for "72 year old grandma gets tasered" is closed, otherwise, I'd post this there. However, looks like Grandma got $40,000 for her obnoxious behavior. Personally, knowing Texas, I am really disappointed that they gave her any money. Sorry, but on this issue I'm on the Officer's side, but, anyway, here it is:

Settlement Offered After Taser Used On 72-Year-Old Texas Woman

On the Today Show this morning they stated that Texas paid her, because it would cost even more if they had to pursue this further in Court. Very disappointing, but I understand as I had a driver in Texas say I hit them (I didn't) and won $10,000 which royally hacked me off years ago.:mad:

It must pay to be an obnoxious creep in Texas....too bad I didn't use this technique myself to get richer. Not.

It's been all over the news out here. That hag deserves nothing; she provoked it, baited the officer and dared him to tase her, kept playing the age card like it was a "get out of jail free" and was causing a scene on the side of a busy highway.

Make it a young male instead of an elderly female acting the *exact* same way she did, and he'd not only get nothing, but they would continue to prosecute him.

I totally agree with you, ziggy29. Totally. It's an embarrassment to older folks and the State of Texas. She should be ashamed of herself, but she isn't.

One of the problems with 'it would cost more to defend ourselves in court'.... is that it means there is now a floor where everybody and their brother knows that if ANYTHING looks like there might be something they did against you... you might as well sue... because if you ask for this floor, you get it.. no matter what the facts of the case...

I would think a few cases where you say 'we do not care how much this costs us in court, we are fighting all the way'... would discourage some of the low lifes looking for a free ride... at least some of the attorneys might think twice... especially if the court awarded the city the cost of defending the case if they won....

I, like others, am disappointed... but it is Travis county that is paying, not the State of Texas...

I would think a few cases where you say 'we do not care how much this costs us in court, we are fighting all the way'... would discourage some of the low lifes looking for a free ride... at least some of the attorneys might think twice... especially if the court awarded the city the cost of defending the case if they won....

Exactly why we need "looser pays the winner" as part of tort reform (like the Brits). Court costs become a non-issue provided you win.

Back
Top Bottom