Too old to drive

At least half the problem of driving in a large city, Boston or otherwise, is navigating the local streets, knowing where to turn, etc.
And then where to park when you get where you're going.

I'm not sure how much age makes this task more challenging, but it can't make it easier, especially once you're retired and not commuting regularly anymore.

I think that navigation software on your car's screen or a smartphone makes this process lots simpler than it was decades ago.

And while I have zero problem driving in the Boston area, I still prefer to park and take the subway (MBTA) into Fenway Park the dozen+ times a year that I go...

One thing that I think extends safe driving years is new car technology. I’ve posted before about how much I love my backup camera and blind spot warning. If your current vehicle doesn’t have the new safety technology…it is something to consider. I see a backup camera as an absolute must have. My frugal self likes to keep cars for as many years as possible, but I’m so glad I traded a perfectly good car for a new vehicle a few years ago.

So, why not make it free? I'd use a bus more often if I did not have to pay for it!

I'd eat steak more often if someone else paid for it as well.:cool:

Well, the easy answer to "why" is because it's hundreds of millions of dollars that needs to be "found" someplace. By the way, it is NOT free. SOMEBODY pays for each bus ride. (Nobody rides for free!):cool:

I guess the other part of the question becomes "philosophical." IOW Why should I pay for all of someone else's bus ride? I'm already paying half of the ride.

I'm not looking for an answer because, as I said, it's a philosophical question (IOW political.) We can agree to disagree on the answer.

Some good points being made here.

There are many signals in our society that tell us to fear aging and how you are loosing it as you age. For me this is a matter of confidence and being honest with yourself about your capabilities.

For instance, after decades of running as a healthy exercise I am now saying goodbye to it. This is because my legs show symptoms at 75 that I cannot ignore. I've replaced running with lots of walking, some with DW and some with podcast listening. Very relaxing.

On driving, one can drive more in the quieter times of day and choose routes that have less traffic. Avoid rush hours and school pickup times and such. Drive in the slow lane and don't rush. Etc, etc.

So, why not make it free? I'd use a bus more often if I did not have to pay for it!

I would do a lot more things if someone else paid for them, too. :LOL:

If you want to ride the bus you should pay for it and not be a cheapskate.

Let us admit. Having your own car is a luxury. A luxury I'm willing and able to pay for.

And one day you might not feel safe driving that car. That will be a difficult day.

I would do a lot more things if someone else paid for them, too. :LOL:

If you want to ride the bus you should pay for it and not be a cheapskate.

I'm also a Music Lover. The price of getting to and from the show is a small fraction of the total cost

The OP was about something other then driving in Washington DC and big cities. Serious thread drift here.

Perhaps we should get back on topic.

I think the issue was being too old to drive. What are your thought on that?

I think the OP is in New Orleans so big city driving is relevant. She would probably fee more comfortable driving in a rural area or a small town.

I like to think, one day, I'll be old and smart enough to decide I'm too old to drive. That will be a difficult day.

When/if that day comes, a backup plan is probably a good idea.

I'd move to Florida before I gave up driving. From what I've seen they can't be too picky about handing out licenses.

One thing that I think extends safe driving years is new car technology. I’ve posted before about how much I love my backup camera and blind spot warning. If your current vehicle doesn’t have the new safety technology…it is something to consider. I see a backup camera as an absolute must have. My frugal self likes to keep cars for as many years as possible, but I’m so glad I traded a perfectly good car for a new vehicle a few years ago.

Agree 100%. I have a new 2023 car with all the bells and whistles including a 360 camera, driving and parking assist, voice commands, gesture commands and much more. DH has a 6 year old car which he loves with lots of safety bells and whistles including back up camera and blind spot monitor. He has only 6,800K miles (no typo!!!) on the car but we are researching new cars for all of the other technology especially the 360 camera.

One thing that I think extends safe driving years is new car technology. I’ve posted before about how much I love my backup camera and blind spot warning. If your current vehicle doesn’t have the new safety technology…it is something to consider. I see a backup camera as an absolute must have.

Actually, I think the new technology provides a false sense of security that lets some people drive longer than they should. If you're unable to check your blind spot or need lane assist then maybe it's time to hang the keys up.

Actually, I think the new technology provides a false sense of security that lets some people drive longer than they should. If you're unable to check your blind spot or need lane assist then maybe it's time to hang the keys up.

If you are really located in "the prairies" then you don't need the tech.

But if you are navigated some busy freeways (think of some of those interchanges in San Diego) then blind spot monitoring helps. We have one interchange in town with merging traffic on your left and possibly stuff going on to the right at speeds of maybe 60 mph.

In busy parking lots some people will charge down an aisle way too fast for safety and having the warning on backup is great. Not essential but a useful feature.

If you are really located in "the prairies" then you don't need the tech.

But if you are navigated some busy freeways (think of some of those interchanges in San Diego) then blind spot monitoring helps. We have one interchange in town with merging traffic on your left and possibly stuff going on to the right at speeds of maybe 60 mph.

In busy parking lots some people will charge down an aisle way too fast for safety and having the warning on backup is great. Not essential but a useful feature.

I've driven on many busy freeways and interchanges (including San Diego) and never felt the need to rely on the blind spot feature.

Actually, with properly adjusted side mirrors the blind spot can be completely eliminated on most vehicles. However, it seems that few people seem to know how to correctly adjust the mirrors.

People who have to rely on certain features (blind spot monitoring for example) will have diminished driving skills that carry over to other aspects of their driving.

I've driven on many busy freeways and interchanges (including San Diego) and never felt the need to rely on the blind spot feature.

Actually, with properly adjusted side mirrors the blind spot can be completely eliminated on most vehicles. However, it seems that few people seem to know how to correctly adjust the mirrors.

People who have to rely on certain features (blind spot monitoring for example) will have diminished driving skills that carry over to other aspects of their driving.

We had older model cars and just bought a 2023 Honda CRV to replace one of them. The visibility on some of new model cars is not as good as the old ones. I still look over my shoulder for monitoring lane changes (recommended by the manufacturer too) but am getting used to the new features and like them.

I don't agree with your comment on "diminished driving skills". Have you tried the new features?

Exactly Music Lover, and that is why I'm concerned about all of the "safety" features. While they are nice to have people will become reliant on them. And newer generations of drivers won't learn the necessary skills since the car will do it for them.
AI anyone?

I don't agree with your comment on "diminished driving skills". Have you tried the new features?

My car is a 2015 Acura and has several new features. I don't use any of the driving assist ones. I do like being able to check the tire pressure at any time though.

I bought an old car (2011) that was the loaded model at the time. It has BSM. I like it, but don't rely on it. It is just an adjunct. I like that mine flash if I put on my turn signal, and there is a car there.

And yes, most people adjust their mirrors to show the side of the car, which essentially duplicates the rear view mirror. This is not best practice. The mirrors should point significantly away from the car. It is easy to test your adjustment. Just drive on the highway and let people pass you. Make sure you see the vehicle in the mirror as it moves from the rear view mirror to your peripheral vision as you look ahead. It should be visible during this gap time.

Hey, does anyone remember when a passenger side mirror was an optional accessory? Remember the days of opening the window and manually adjusting the mirrors?

I guess some practices were drummed into me when I was in high school drivers ed and when my father would take me out for practice. Even with all the mirrors, back up cameras, and lane change warnings that are built into cars these days I still turn my head to verify before making a move. It may be "old school" but it still works well.

Cheers!

I guess some practices were drummed into me when I was in high school drivers ed and when my father would take me out for practice. Even with all the mirrors, back up cameras, and lane change warnings that are built into cars these days I still turn my head to verify before making a move. It may be "old school" but it still works well.

Cheers!
I change lanes a fair amount, using both my side mirrors and turn signals. One of my vehicles has Blind Spot Monitoring, the other does not.

Nonetheless, I sometimes lean forward a bit to check my blind spot in my left side mirror better; I never turn around to check it directly...

The mirrors should point significantly away from the car. It is easy to test your adjustment. Just drive on the highway and let people pass you. Make sure you see the vehicle in the mirror as it moves from the rear view mirror to your peripheral vision as you look ahead. It should be visible during this gap time.

I keep telling DW this is the way to do it and she looks at me like I'm crazy. She says "I can't see anything in the rear view."

Yeah, I still like to look over my shoulder as well. Trust but verify.

I keep telling DW this is the way to do it and she looks at me like I'm crazy. She says "I can't see anything in the rear view."

Yeah, I still like to look over my shoulder as well. Trust but verify.

Absolutely.

1) Adjust mirrors and use that as first step.
2) If you have BSM, check.
3) Quickly turn your head and double (triple) check.

I remember in driver's ed class one of the students turned his head and just started looking backwards for what seemed like 5 seconds, while our driver's ed teacher calmly grabbed the wheel and brought us back from certain death.

He then explained the concept of a glance versus a look.

Back
Top Bottom