91-year-old breaks world bench-press record

Bench pressing is hard on the shoulders. I am surprised his shoulders held up for 31 years, considering he started lifting at 60.

Wow, a 91 year old pressed 187.2 pounds. I thought maybe it was W2R, but I knew she wasn't 91.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/surprise/articles/20130614world-champion.html

:ROFLMAO: Well, some days I *feel* like I am 91! Thanks for the compliment about my weight lifting. No way could I bench press 187 pounds, though. Actually I don't ever do free weights, so it's hard to know exactly what I could lift, if I did. But 187 pounds? I think not. ;)

The reason I don't do free weights is that I am concerned about sports injuries and my understanding is that the machines are a little bit safer in that respect.

We have an 85 year old guy at my gym named Larry who does a serious 45 minutes on the elliptical, and then lifts as much as I do, at least three days a week. I see him at the gym every time we go there. He is amazing! He walks with a bounce in his step and looks like he is in his early 50's but I know that he isn't. I got to know his wife, Pat, who comes to the gym with him.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited:
WOW. He looks AMAZINGLY good for a 91 year old. If someone asked me how old I thought he was, oh, I would say mid 70's?? Is 90 the new 70??

Back
Top Bottom