Be Careful Inserting your CC. Wild story!

I've been trying out Google Pay, tap the phone to the card reader and it does the payment. Next they will find out this is risky I bet.

I keep all my receipts only until I reconcile the associated CC statement. After that I keep only maybe 1-2% of the receipts - medical, large purchases under warranty, etc. No scanning.

I used to do that. But I found that it was actually almost as quick to just scan everything rather than go back and look at receipts to see what I needed to keep.

Also, I can't tell you how often I used my receipts even for smaller purchases. DH or I wonder just when it was that we bought X. So I go to Evernote and just search and the item comes right up.

Or, one time, I wanted to get an idea of how prices differed among a few grocery stores that we regularly shopped it (being sometimes the same item at different stores). So I went and pulled 3 months of receipts and looked.

Or, I know I bought X and can't remember where I bought it so I check the receipt.

Many of these are things that you can get along without having the data immediately available. I certainly did before I started scanning receipts. But, now that I am used to it I find that I use it all the time and would miss it if I didn't have it. (I used to manage without having the internet at my fingertips everywhere I would go but now that I do I use it all the time...)

That is an impressive degree of discipline! I'm envious, but I don;t think I have it in me....:LOL:

This is one of those things that once you have a routine it is fast and easy to do. Also, I think this does save me time in other ways. I am a data driven person. In addition to saving receipts and recording what I spend, I also haven't missed a day of tracking what I eat in over 9 years (that takes less than 5 minutes a day).

I seldom get a receipt. Never from gas stations or fast food joints (if they give me the choice), and seldom from grocery stores unless they're checking them on the way out. I would say I've done thousands of transactions without receipts. I do have alerts for purchases over a certain amount, and I do check my transactions online a couple of times per week. I've occasionally found discrepencies, but very seldom and they've always been easy to resolve. I can't imagine a situation like the OP's. That sounds really weird and unpleasant. If that's the way of the future, I might have to start keeping receipts or taking pictures or whatever. But I'll probably wait until something happens to kick start me with it.

What a great idea. I always get a receipt and gas stations are notorious for failing to print a receipt. So I have to go inside to get one.

I really only need it to enter into Quicken so from now on I'll just take a picture and avoid going inside.
Before our EV we bought gas at Costco most of the time and we never had a problem with their pumps printing a receipt. Still occasionally buy gas for a rental car and that’s where we usually run into the no receipt problem.

This (short) video shows another problem we have swiping and pin numbers and theft.

Sue Walgreen’s.

That’s the ONLY way you’ll get their attention and hopefully prevent this sort of thing from happening to someone else.

I wish I could just let things like this go as others have suggested.
But I would be asking for a meeting with the store manager & employee to discuss the details of the report they filed. While reviewing the security footage.

I would have been very upset if this had happened to me. I do request a paper receipt. A few years ago, I was stopped when leaving K-Mart in Penn Station and security asked to see my receipt (which I had). I found that interesting because I had just come off the line - which could be clearly seen from their vantage point.

One of my DS's used to work in store security. In addition to shoplifters, there was a lot of theft - by cashiers. (Part of his job vis-a-vis the cashiers involved reviewing receipts and comparing the receipts to the video footage.)

I am anal about getting receipts and now I have a reason why! I did just return a rental car and made sure to get a receipt for the gas I purchased. I had read somewhere, maybe here, that car rental companies can claim you return the car without getting gas.

Most of the places I shop now provide receipts via email. That makes it easier to track with less effort.

The incident reminds me why I prefer self-checkout when possible. It eliminates a step in the process that is prone to human error. I seem to be increasingly having to assist cashiers with their jobs these days :).

Now my political statement.....with all the snatch n grabs, shootings etc in the country why are our police required to spend time on something like this. Maybe I was profiled and falsely accused? I don't want anything from Walgreens other than a written apology. And yes I have advised them that they may have a dishonest employee.

Three words: low hanging fruit :).

What would you do is this situation?

I would do whatever it takes to get that police incident report deleted/removed. Not only would I not frequent that Walgreens, but I would tell everyone I knew in the area to avoid it.

I am anal about getting receipts and now I have a reason why! I did just return a rental car and made sure to get a receipt for the gas I purchased. I had read somewhere, maybe here, that car rental companies can claim you return the car without getting gas.
Yes it happened to me once. I rented a car from Alamo in San Jose and returned at SFO. At airport, they asked about the gas receipt and I did not have one. Though I filled up the tank right before the return. They charged me for empty tank. It appears was written somewhere in a contract which I did not read carefully.
Since that time, I'm collecting receipts everywhere, scan them and store at one secure place.

This (short) video shows another problem we have swiping and pin numbers and theft.

I try to tap or use my phone like you do in more advanced countries like Canada since I had one of my cards compromised at a truck stop a couple of years ago

I guess, look on the bright side. The police didn't dispatch a SWAT team to your house with a no-knock warrant, so, there's that.:cool:

I guess I would let it go except for the clerk filing a bogus report about the incident. I wouldn't let that go. I'd be all over that with Walgreen local mgmt. and then (if not satisfied) national mgmt. There are mistakes and there are travesties. I think this one is closer to the latter.

Forget the $10! I'd want a written apology from the store and an in-person apology from the clerk. Nothing less - and maybe more.

Only reason I'd not have the store send something to the police, exonerating you: Every contact is one more thing in some file about you. You don't want a lot of activity associated with your name.

Last edited:

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't the gas gauge needle being at or near the "F" indicate the presence of enough gas in the gas tank? Or are the rental car companies so sleazy as to lie about it after you have returned the car?

I don't rent cars as much as I used to, but having the gauge near "F" was always sufficient. Sometimes the needle was barely above 3/4 when I picked up the car in the first place.

It got to the point where I'd fill up 20 or 30 miles before the airport. Gas was cheaper and the needle didn't move much in that time. I was never asked for a receipt. Maybe that's something new?

I have my accounts set up to immediately notify me when a credit or debit card is charged. I can see the charge amount immediately on my iPhone, so I don’t worry about receipts unless it’s an unusual situation. I check and pay my balances daily, so any fraud is detected quickly.

Granted I don't rent cars often but never been asked for a receipt or charged for gas.

Granted I don't rent cars often but never been asked for a receipt or charged for gas.

The practice of asking for gas station receipt used to much more widespread in the past (like back in the 80-ies). Over time, I'm guessing they found that in general, it isn't worth the hassle asking for it, so it has decreased. However, I have no doubt that the fine print still allows them to ask for it and in some circumstances, or with some specific managers, or local rental companies, they do insist on it. Obviously, those are the companies to avoid in the future.

Most of the places I shop now provide receipts via email. That makes it easier to track with less effort.

The incident reminds me why I prefer self-checkout when possible. It eliminates a step in the process that is prone to human error. I seem to be increasingly having to assist cashiers with their jobs these days :).

A new danger that has been reported in the news is self checkout, a month or two after you have gone through checkout, the police show up saying you shoplifted.

Having the receipt showing each of the items in the cart were paid for, helps to prove innocence.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/11/avoid-self-serve-checkouts-or-it-could-cost-you-thousands-lawyer-warns/

I still get the paper receipt, and just consider the emailed receipt a bonus.

Last edited:
A new danger that has been reported in the news is self checkout, a month or two after you have gone through checkout, the police show up saying you shoplifted...

Attorney and influencer Carrie Jernigan, who often shares legal advice to her 1.2 million followers on TikTok, has alleged...

That's as far as I had to read to set off my click-bait alarm.

Not something I'm ever going to worry about. Even the comments to that article had a lot of good reasons not to.

A new danger that has been reported in the news is self checkout, a month or two after you have gone through checkout, the police show up saying you shoplifted.

Having the receipt showing each of the items in the cart were paid for, helps to prove innocence.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/11/avoid-self-serve-checkouts-or-it-could-cost-you-thousands-lawyer-warns/

I still get the paper receipt, and just consider the emailed receipt a bonus.

I am going to need a better source than a Tik-Tok video from a single person to believe this actually happens :). Store tracks those transactions with point-of-sale applications that record how the item was paid for, and a security camera recording the shopper. I would happily subpoena that information if it ever showed up and start a lawsuit against this.

In addition, I can just sign on to my account with the store, it also shows what I bought.

Three words: low hanging fruit :).

I would do whatever it takes to get that police incident report deleted/removed. Not only would I not frequent that Walgreens, but I would tell everyone I knew in the area to avoid it.

Op here. Well today I got a copy of the police report. The employee falsified
the real story contradicting the store video and body cam. Last week I spoke to the officer in charge who admitted it looked as if Walgreens screwed up and I should be pissed. I called the store manager today and he quickly hung up on me and said his manager said to not talk to me. So, I finally reached Walgreens corporate who was apologetic and will move it to the regional/district manager. Lets see?? I informed them I was OK until I read the case report filed with my name on it. Aint gonna stop until I get in writing WG's screwed this up. The goods were paid via Visa (the card they said failed) by 10am the next morning. I normally lets these things go but now I need a written document to file away with this police report. Minor PITA now moved to a real issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

And yet in California they let them load up bags and walk right out and no one even gets stopped, caught or prosecuted.

The practice of asking for gas station receipt used to much more widespread in the past (like back in the 80-ies). Over time, I'm guessing they found that in general, it isn't worth the hassle asking for it, so it has decreased. However, I have no doubt that the fine print still allows them to ask for it and in some circumstances, or with some specific managers, or local rental companies, they do insist on it. Obviously, those are the companies to avoid in the future.

I normally rent from Hertz. When returning at airports (even though I offer a receipt) the attendant usually turns the car on and checks the gas level.

I am more concerned about being charged for damage to the car than gas refill, so I take pictures and video of the car at pickup and return (even when the attendant does a walk through before I rent it). But maybe I should take a picture of the gas gauge as well :).

We did have an interesting rental car receipt issue earlier this year. We had rented a minivan for a couple of weeks while one of our sons and his family was in town. We returned it the beginning of March, got a receipt, no problem. While I was out of the U.S. in April, Hertz calls the house, asking DW if we still had the minivan, they cannot find it. DW said yes, we have a receipt, and we have video of us dropping it off. Hertz said thanks, we thought you did, we just cannot find it. When I returned I called the local office, they just said "we resolved it, sorry to bother you", but would not say anything further. Interesting. I have an idea what likely happened, as the next time I rented they had replaced one person in that office.

Back
Top Bottom