Be Careful Inserting your CC. Wild story!

Op here. Well today I got a copy of the police report. The employee falsified
the real story contradicting the store video and body cam. Last week I spoke to the officer in charge who admitted it looked as if Walgreens screwed up and I should be pissed. I called the store manager today and he quickly hung up on me and said his manager said to not talk to me. So, I finally reached Walgreens corporate who was apologetic and will move it to the regional/district manager. Lets see?? I informed them I was OK until I read the case report filed with my name on it. Aint gonna stop until I get in writing WG's screwed this up. The goods were paid via Visa (the card they said failed) by 10am the next morning. I normally lets these things go but now I need a written document to file away with this police report. Minor PITA now moved to a real issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

Seems to me you could call a lawyer, and sue them, ask for 1M or more. Might find a lawyer who will work for free....

I am going to need a better source than a Tik-Tok video from a single person to believe this actually happens :). Store tracks those transactions with point-of-sale applications that record how the item was paid for, and a security camera recording the shopper. I would happily subpoena that information if it ever showed up and start a lawsuit against this.

In addition, I can just sign on to my account with the store, it also shows what I bought.

Here is a case, the lady won big, but of course after being arrested she really had no choice but to fight, good thing she had the money to fight Walmart.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/01/us/walmart-shoplifting-lawsuit.html

I normally rent from Hertz. When returning at airports (even though I offer a receipt) the attendant usually turns the car on and checks the gas level.

I am more concerned about being charged for damage to the car than gas refill, so I take pictures and video of the car at pickup and return (even when the attendant does a walk through before I rent it). But maybe I should take a picture of the gas gauge as well :).

We did have an interesting rental car receipt issue earlier this year. We had rented a minivan for a couple of weeks while one of our sons and his family was in town. We returned it the beginning of March, got a receipt, no problem. While I was out of the U.S. in April, Hertz calls the house, asking DW if we still had the minivan, they cannot find it. DW said yes, we have a receipt, and we have video of us dropping it off. Hertz said thanks, we thought you did, we just cannot find it. When I returned I called the local office, they just said "we resolved it, sorry to bother you", but would not say anything further. Interesting. I have an idea what likely happened, as the next time I rented they had replaced one person in that office.

Hertz has been in trouble for reporting cars stolen that weren't. Arrested customers are typically peeved.

I once returned a rental car which had some damage. I had no idea. The hotel valet brought me the car (so I could only see the driver's side.) I drove to the airport, parked the car and got in the shuttle bus for the ride to the airport. On the way out of the lot, we passed my rental car. I saw the whole passenger side door was dented in. Oops!

Never heard a word about it. Maybe my company's insurance paid, but you'd think it would have gotten back to me somehow.

Here is a case, the lady won big, but of course after being arrested she really had no choice but to fight, good thing she had the money to fight Walmart.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/01/us/walmart-shoplifting-lawsuit.html

Cannot see that article due to the pay barrier, but I have seen other articles on this case. That case does not match what you posted regarding the tik-tok video. They did not come after her a month or 2 later and say "we think you stole something a month or two ago", they had stopped here at the door. Wrong, but not what the tik-tok claimed was an issue.

Also, according the articles she was using the scanner but it froze... I'm sorry, but if there is an issue with the scanner, I am calling over an associate right away. Heck, I call over an associate when I have a problem scanning an item. Been there, done that.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about being racially profiled than matters like these. It happens a lot less these days... but it still happens, people are people. Perhaps, for the matter this thread is covering, I should just say "welcome to my world" :).

I'm just pointing out that self scanning is not care-free and a way to avoid a poor cashier.

This Summer I was in Quebec. I used the self scanner and I clicked English as my Francais il et mal.

This way the menu is English and it speaks in English.

Well out of the 4 people scanning, the clerk came and stood beside me as I scanned each thing in and piled it on the too small shelf they provide.

Was she giving me extra supervision because of a language profiling or because she was just keen to see the machine work in English :confused:

You can be sure I took the receipt, and checked my cart twice.

Cannot see that article due to the pay barrier, but I have seen other articles on this case. That case does not match what you posted regarding the tik-tok video. They did not come after her a month or 2 later and say "we think you stole something a month or two ago", they had stopped here at the door. Wrong, but not what the tik-tok claimed was an issue.

Also, according the articles she was using the scanner but it froze... I'm sorry, but if there is an issue with the scanner, I am calling over an associate right away. Heck, I call over an associate when I have a problem scanning an item. Been there, done that.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about being racially profiled than matters like these. It happens a lot less these days... but it still happens, people are people. Perhaps, for the matter this thread is covering, I should just say "welcome to my world" :).

OP here .paywall blocks the article. Ive now read the police report issued by the store and I was profiled as an older male, dressed casual with flip flops, acted suspicious (they say I looked away from the counter on one occasion), the store said my ID had me born 2/9/86......trust me I am 67!
The cops body cam shown him saying" there is no way this guy is 30!). So he assumes I must have a stolen ID??. The cop was shown saying " he should know better than leaving the store". So I am not even sure the cops got this right? At least I now have the body cam and police report. The body cam has the manager saying this was likely just a mix up.....but called the cops. Now, I am not out any money, just my time, sleepless nights, and embarrassment
at the whole situation. I just don't want my name mentioned in a larceny report. Who knows when and if that would ever make the light of day. Still just want a written apology to file with the report. Hoping I get my day to speak with WG corporate.

OP I think if you know a lawyer, you have them write you a letter or two here, that should help clear things up quickly.

Seems to me you could call a lawyer, and sue them, ask for 1M or more. Might find a lawyer who will work for free....

You need damages to sue. What are the OP’s monitized damages?

OP here .paywall blocks the article. Ive now read the police report issued by the store and I was profiled as an older male, dressed casual with flip flops, acted suspicious (they say I looked away from the counter on one occasion), the store said my ID had me born 2/9/86......trust me I am 67!
The cops body cam shown him saying" there is no way this guy is 30!). So he assumes I must have a stolen ID??. The cop was shown saying " he should know better than leaving the store". So I am not even sure the cops got this right? At least I now have the body cam and police report. The body cam has the manager saying this was likely just a mix up.....but called the cops. Now, I am not out any money, just my time, sleepless nights, and embarrassment
at the whole situation. I just don't want my name mentioned in a larceny report. Who knows when and if that would ever make the light of day. Still just want a written apology to file with the report. Hoping I get my day to speak with WG corporate.
Police reports are like herpes - they are forever.

I would pursue this with the WG corporate office and also complain to the police commissioner. I would expect (demand) Walgreen to file an amended report to the police, and I would expect the police to update the report. Everything in writing, document every contact, including the refusal of the store manager to talk with you.

Edit to add - you might consider asking the District Attorney Office to look into this as well. Filing a false police report is a crime in many jurisdictions.

Last edited:
I don't rent cars as much as I used to, but having the gauge near "F" was always sufficient. Sometimes the needle was barely above 3/4 when I picked up the car in the first place.

It got to the point where I'd fill up 20 or 30 miles before the airport. Gas was cheaper and the needle didn't move much in that time. I was never asked for a receipt. Maybe that's something new?

I never did it any other way. I always assumed everyone else did as well though YMMV.

Op here. Well today I got a copy of the police report. The employee falsified
the real story contradicting the store video and body cam. Last week I spoke to the officer in charge who admitted it looked as if Walgreens screwed up and I should be pissed. I called the store manager today and he quickly hung up on me and said his manager said to not talk to me. So, I finally reached Walgreens corporate who was apologetic and will move it to the regional/district manager. Lets see?? I informed them I was OK until I read the case report filed with my name on it. Aint gonna stop until I get in writing WG's screwed this up. The goods were paid via Visa (the card they said failed) by 10am the next morning. I normally lets these things go but now I need a written document to file away with this police report. Minor PITA now moved to a real issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

Good for you! Please keep us informed.

And yet in California they let them load up bags and walk right out and no one even gets stopped, caught or prosecuted.

Gonna get worse there before it gets better (last taxpayer out - turn off the lights.)

Not sure of the benefit of taking a picture of the pump. Does it say PAID or something? Haven’t seen a station in years that you could pump without paying first.

OP, what was the value of your transgression? Just curious what level triggers the call to the PD.

WG is clearly nervous since they instructed their local management not to discuss with you.
When/if WG corporate reaches out you can simply state that you had hoped to settle this matter quickly and quietly, but since the local folks won't talk to you, you feel it is in your best interests to not talk to them until you seek legal counsel.

I'd pursue the 'filing a false police report' suggestion.

I'd also meet with an attorney to discuss this. You incurred cost returning to the store to fix their mistake.

In any settlement, if it comes to that, WG should reimburse the PD for their time and effort.

Falsely accusing someone of a crime is defamation per se. Damages are presumed. In addition to the costs of clearing this up, the victim may get compensatory damages for past and future harm to their reputation, and punitive damages could be assessed to deter future similar instances by Walgreens or others. I would advise consulting an attorney.

If the OP wants to pursue a legal case of libel, I would advise him to not have any further contact since he has already indicated his desired remedy was a written acknowledgment of the false report which under law can be considered as “winning”. If he wants money, hire a lawyer and stay low.
I think there is a better shot of pushing for a false reporting case against the clerk.

Last week I needed to take some photos over to our local Walgreens for processing. I dutifully filled out the form showing my name, address, phone number etc. Once they were ready I visited the store and to get the pictures and some frames (this was for my new grandchild which DW and I had only a few all framed up). While I was there I picked up a few toiletries and went to visit the cashier. I used a Visa card and followed the instructions of the cashier. She assisted in inserting the card and I received a Walgreens discount. The cashier loaded my purchases in 2 bags and said we were good to go. Now is where it gets strange. A few hours later our local Police texted my wife indicating her husband (me ) left without paying and they needed to speak with me. I contacted the officer who admitted this was strange but the cashier realized later the charge apparently did not go thru and therefore filed a theft charge with the Police. The police indicated the cashier said my card was denied (did not happen) and I went to my car to get a replacement and never returned. I immediately contacted Visa and they confirmed the card was fine and no connection was made by Walgreens. Visa indicated this happens routinely when the card reader is faulty. I called the store and offered a new card to run that day but they don't take CC numbers over the phone. So, I made an appointment the next day to come in and use the exact same card. I did just that and the card worked fine. Walgreens was paid and the manager indicated it was good that they didn't press charges. But, now I have a police incident report with my name on it! Walgreens apologized and offered me a $10 gift card......I was stunned to say the least.

Now I called the Police sergeant who read the police report to me. The cashier said she had assumed I skipped, she described me as an older white male who looked and acted suspicious. I had on shorts a t shirt and flip flops. Now I am a 67 year old grandad and she said my ID indicated I was 35 and they assumed I had a fake ID. My DL clearly shows me as a 67 year old male. I do have a son who has my name (Jr.) and he lives 4 hours away. Could the store somehow confuse this?

So, I asked the police to review the store footage and their body cam. Upon reviewing this it became clear the cashiers fabricated the police report. The Police sergeant confided in me that this was an extreme overreaction by Walgreens and they dismissed the matter. The cashiers story did not add up and I am still waiting for a written apology from the store.

Being curious I googled articles about Walgreens and read that the company is having an inventory shrinkage issue and has told employees to be more aggressive and lean on the police. The CEO was replaced a month ago and a new one is in place. I don't think this type of customer harassment was what they had in mind.

To conclude this whole thing was unnerving to a person who has never even received a parking ticket. The store video showed me putting my card in the machine while holding my wallet. For whatever reason it never connected to Visa and the clerk never made any effort to inform me.

Now my political statement.....with all the snatch n grabs, shootings etc in the country why are our police required to spend time on something like this. Maybe I was profiled and falsely accused? I don't want anything from Walgreens other than a written apology. And yes I have advised them that they may have a dishonest employee.

Now I stop immediately upon using my CC and make sure we have a receipt.

What would you do is this situation?

I wear an Apple Watch and get an almost instantaneous notitification to it when my card is used. If I don’t get one I go back to the cashier

I also travel a great deal and get notifications of any international charges. Started this a few years ago when a dinner that cost 13,000!pesos in the local currency was inadvertently charges as 13,000 USdollars!a $12,700 error. Now why my credit card fraud dept didn’t flag that is another story!

But pretty much always get a receipt either in paper or electronically!

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't the gas gauge needle being at or near the "F" indicate the presence of enough gas in the gas tank? Or are the rental car companies so sleazy as to lie about it after you have returned the car?

Yes, they are that sleazy!

We rented a car from Hertz at the Denver Airport. Upon returning it we filled the gas tank within a mile of the Hertz lot. About a month later we got a large bill from them for filling the tank because we returned it empty. But I had saved the receipt! I wrote them a factual letter and included a copy of the receipt which had the address of the gas station and the time stamp. That took care of it.

My guess is that they send a bill to a bunch of people and hope customers don’t have proof.

Last edited:
Yes, they are that sleazy!

We rented a car from Hertz at the Denver Airport. Upon returning it we filled the gas tank within a mile of the Hertz lot. About a month later we got a large bill from them for filling the tank because we returned it empty. But I had saved the receipt! I wrote them a factual letter and included a copy of the receipt which had the address of the gas station and the time stamp. That took care of it.

My guess is that they send a bill to a bunch of people and hope customers don’t have proof.

I don't know if Hertz locations are independent, franchise or wholly owned by Hertz. I wonder if this isn't some "local" store owner pulling something on customers - not the main company with a policy of extracting the maximum.

she described me as an older white male who looked and acted suspicious. I had on shorts a t shirt and flip flops. Now I am a 67 year old grandad and she said my ID indicated I was 35 and they assumed I had a fake ID. My DL clearly shows me as a 67 year old male. I do have a son who has my name (Jr.) and he lives 4 hours away. Could the store somehow confuse this?

?

Can you explain why you showed ID (your DL) to purchase toiletries?

Can you explain why you showed ID (your DL) to purchase toiletries?

Yes, one of the items I purchased required you to be over 21. So, they scanned my DL. If you read earlier post I covered that question in mode detail.

Back
Top Bottom