AAPL

I hope Mr. Jobs has a lot of miles on him yet, but I fear this is not the case.

I hope he does too. He very likely may not, but as I said earlier, with the iPhone and iPad success stories, the fact that for a time, AAPL had more cash on hand than the federal government, and AAPL's market cap made them #1 in the US.... what better time to leave?

Apple crowned No. 1 with biggest market cap - MarketWatch

... Apple’s overtaking of Exxon “really fascinating, particularly if one looks at where Apple was, say, 10 years ago.”

At that time, Apple was ranked No. 287 on the S&P 500 Index

Anything new in the pipeline would take a few years to e established as another market success, and there's the chance it might flop. Go out on top if you can.

Wishing him all the best (as I type this from my Linux/Ubuntu computer!).

-ERD50

And now all the Berkshire shareholders get to do a dry run of Buffett retiring.

I hope Mr. Jobs has a lot of miles on him yet, but I fear this is not the case.

I was thinking that also. I wonder if we will see sympathy selling on Berkshire. This sounds ghoulish, but this week I started to look at writing cash secured AAPL puts I think they'll get pretty expensive. So the timing couldn't be better for me.

Steve Jobs resigns

I didn't see this yet; my apologies if a duplicate.

He was a borderline tyrant and supposedly difficult to work with.

Yet he was focused and changed the world in more ways than any recent CEO I can think of. Changed forever were:

- advent of personal computers (Apple II)
- graphical user interface (Macintosh)
- transformation of the publishing industry (Laserwriter and Desktop Publishing)
- transformation of the music industry (iPod and iTunes)
- transformation of the cellular phone industry (iPhone)
- transformation of tablet computing (iPad)
- nurtured Pixar to great success in animation

Where most CEOs worry about finances and accounting, Steve was intimately involved in product design.

One of Steve's quotes:

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary”

AAPL
Time to sell.
"But the culture will live on..." Folks who understand the whole Apple story and how innovative technology works know that this is not true. Steve Jobs is not replaceable.

AAPL
Time to sell.
"But the culture will live on..." Folks who understand the whole Apple story and how innovative technology works know that this is not true. Steve Jobs is not replaceable.

I think Jobs eventual departure was probably factored into the stock price. But I do agree, he really isn't replaceable, which Scully proved in the 1980s.
The story of Intel and Microsoft after the departure of Andy Grove and Bill Gates are maybe further proof.

Free To Canoe said:
AAPL
Time to sell.

Eh, not so much. I'm pretty sure the culture will live on. There have been steps taken over the last decade to establish and maintain the Apple internal culture independent of Mr. Jobs.

The last thing anyone there wants to do is pull a Microsoft.

I think that the indefinite medical leave announced in January was really the announcement that markets reacted to. I think we all expected some announcement like this eventually.

I wish Mr. Jobs well and hope that he is around for a long time.

He deserves early retirement to take care of himself.

Back
Top Bottom