AARP Internet Radio

Aah! Love the sound of those pops, hisses, and scratches in the records. Fortunately, with the accelerometer built into my iPhone, I can wind the AARP Victrola back up to play another record when the first one is done. Haven't figured out how to flip it over to play the B side yet, though.

I haven't tried it, but I like listening to the Music Choice Golden Oldies that is one of the stations I got with my new-ish digital HGTV connection.

I have four different pandora stations set up, they do a good job matching my tastes. No pops and hisses.

I haven't tried it, but I like listening to the Music Choice Golden Oldies that is one of the stations I got with my new-ish digital HGTV connection.

The real oldies, Doo Wop and 50's stuff isn't played on the TV channels. Seems they think we are all dead and they moved up to the 60's music and call it oldies, maybe for some I guess. I'm actually from the 60's music era but love the older stuff.

Maybe I'll have to bring back the Doo Wop Shop.:dance:

The real oldies, Doo Wop and 50's stuff isn't played on the TV channels. Seems they think we are all dead and they moved up to the 60's music and call it oldies, maybe for some I guess. I'm actually from the 60's music era but love the older stuff.

Maybe I'll have to bring back the Doo Wop Shop.:dance:
The Solid Gold Oldies channel that I have has both 50's and 60's, mixed together. (For example, right now it is playing Sixteen Candles, maybe not my favorite but a 1959 song). It's not as good as your playlists and is sadly lacking in doo-wop, but it is still fun. :)

Some of the 60's stuff is pretty enjoyable as well. The other day I got a kick out of hearing "Going to the Chapel" and seeing photos of the Dixie Cups. Amazingly enough, I found out they grew up in the projects here in New Orleans.

I am from the 60's music era too (born in '48), but had older brothers who bought the mid 1950's music and I grew up dancing to that as a little girl of 5 or 6. :D

Last edited:
Ah yes, Johnny Maestro and the Crests. Sadly Johnny passed last year. Had dinner with him a few times at my buddies house.

Ah yes, Johnny Maestro and the Crests. Sadly Johnny passed last year. Had dinner with him a few times at my buddies house.

Yes, Johnny Maestro and the Crests. :) The Solid Gold Oldies channel showed photos of them at about the time they sang that song. You were so fortunate to know Johnny Maestro. He was quite a musician.

Yes, Johnny Maestro and the Crests. :) The Solid Gold Oldies channel showed photos of them at about the time they sang that song. You were so fortunate to know Johnny Maestro. He was quite a musician.

Yeah, he was originally from LI NY, moved to Florida about 10 years ago. My buddy was his best friend so I was able to hang in that circle and meet many of the oldie singers.

Playing Long Tall Sally (Little Richard, 1956) right now. :D I love this stuff!

Playing Long Tall Sally (Little Richard, 1956) right now. :D I love this stuff!
I saw Little Richard and Jerry Lee on the same stage, about 1960. Whoa! They are still two of my favorites, especially to dance to.

BTW, W2, with that background of dancing to this great music as a little girl, you are probably a very good dancer. Nobody learns like those who learn it young.

Ha

I saw Little Richard and Jerry Lee on the same stage, about 1960. Whoa! They are still two of my favorites, especially to dance to.

BTW, W2, with that background of dancing to this great music as a little girl, you are probably a very good dancer. Nobody learns like those who learn it young.

Ha

Oh wow!!! What a concert. That would be a memory to last a lifetime.

Yes, like many little girls I danced with my dollies. I think probably all little girls do that, and I was lucky enough to be able to hear my brother's classic rock 'n' roll records all the time at that age. But, as an adult it turns out I am pretty awkward and really have no interest in dancing.

Back
Top Bottom