AARP Membership

That's absolutely NOT the case with AARP. As I said in my previous post, I have contacted them multiple times, in multiple ways, requesting to be removed from their mailing/contact lists, to no avail. They promise I will be removed, yet I continue to receive the solicitations for membership, life insurance, etc. etc. They ignore my wishes. I will call them again in the morning.
Just take one of those mailings and write on the outside, DECEASED -- RETURN TO SENDER. Then drop it in the post.

This worked for a truly deceased member of our family when I did this.

Hmmm ... maybe this works for other annoyances too?

Just take one of those mailings and write on the outside, DECEASED -- RETURN TO SENDER. Then drop it in the post.

That's a GREAT idea! I'll do it as soon as I get the next piece of mail from them...:cool:

We quit AARP due to their politics. I discovered if I want to read their magazine, most of it is on the web site.

Agree about the politics issues - not a fan of their particular brand. However, we save many times the membership fee in discounts each year. I feel a bit guilty about filling up landfills with their junk mail, but some of our trash gets burned to make electricity here. YMMV

I feel a bit guilty about filling up landfills with their junk mail, but some of our trash gets burned to make electricity here. YMMV
Of course they paid the federal government a bulk-mail postage rate to haul that trash at least 2500 miles across the ocean before we could donate it to the HPOWER plant...

I always check for an AARP discount at hotels, though I've never been asked to show any proof of membership. It just seems to be a way to offer a lower price for bargain hunters while saving face for the establishment.

Once DW and I stopped at a motel and when I regiesterd I asked if they gave a discount for AARP and the lady said yes. So I took out my AMEX card to pay and the lady said you get a bigger discount via AMEX, just some food for thought if you think your getting great discounts with AARP.

lol...I usually either ask for the military rate or the government rate. Only once have I been asked to show an ID, and then it wasn't a problem since I do carry one of each. I'm retired from the military side, but so far, nobody's made a distinction between me being active vs. retired. Normally, to get the "government rate" I think you're supposed to be on some kind of travel orders, but like I said, I've only been asked for confirmation once, and that time I actually was on orders.

Once DW and I stopped at a motel and when I regiesterd I asked if they gave a discount for AARP and the lady said yes. So I took out my AMEX card to pay and the lady said you get a bigger discount via AMEX, just some food for thought if you think your getting great discounts with AARP.
I'll have to haul out all my cards at all the hotels we go to. Let's see:
1) AAA
2) Amex
3) Library card
4) Safeway
5) Starbucks
6) Visa
7) Democratic Party or Republican Party (depends on how I size them up) ...

I did a similar thing recently while booking online. I compared to see the lowest rates, AAA vs AARP vs just the hotel's lowest rate option. The lowest rate option won out.

Good to know about AARP's excessive sending of junk mail. I've discovered Consumer Reports spews similar amounts.

I'm surprised at the sentiment against AARP. I've been a member since I was 50 and enjoy the periodicals and utilize the discounts at motels, etc. While I'm not keen on their politics I recognize their right to express their opinion.

I probably could do without it AARP that I also have AAA and often the discounts are similar but to me the periodicals are worth the modest cost and any discounts are gravy.

I haven't found their insurance or anything like that particular compelling.

Good to know about AARP's excessive sending of junk mail. I've discovered Consumer Reports spews similar amounts.
Comcast is another chronic offender for us...

I'm surprised at the sentiment against AARP. I've been a member since I was 50 and enjoy the periodicals and utilize the discounts at motels, etc. While I'm not keen on their politics I recognize their right to express their opinion.
Their right no question. But I can't subsidize an organization with political views that they know (lf should) are blindly self-serving IMO. Their last TV ad was just another example of same...

I did a similar thing recently while booking online. I compared to see the lowest rates, AAA vs AARP vs just the hotel's lowest rate option. The lowest rate option won out.

Most of the time that is not the case... at least for when I book things..

Usually they are close enough that the few $$$s does not matter to me, but not always...

Their right no question. But I can't subsidize an organization with political views that they know (lf should) are blindly self-serving IMO. Their last TV ad was just another example of same...

I don't have a problem with AARP advocating that SS and Medicare benefits for seniors not be cut. Not sure what else anyone would expect given their constituency.

I wasn't keen on the ad because it implied that seniors (or at least their membership) was united on that hot button issue and I'm certain that is not the case. Like I said in my prior post, I'm not keen on their politics, but as a practical matter I don't think my $12 a year buys a lot of tv time.

I don't have a problem with AARP advocating that SS and Medicare benefits for seniors not be cut. Not sure what else anyone would expect given their constituency.
If they offered an alternative solution, I'd agree. But 'cut waste and loopholes' doesn't begin to address our fiscal imbalances, and AARP knows that (or should before an ad like that). It just strikes me as 'we got ours, and we don't care who else has to pay to keep it that way.' I don't think that's helpful (especially with our current political impasse) or fair, and I'd stand to gain by AARP's position so it would be easier for me to go along with them.

To be clear, I have no quarrel with you or anyone who may choose to join AARP, just explaining why I don't...

Last edited:

Instead of asking to be removed from a mailing list, it works better to tell them your address has changed. Choose a bogus address that is far from you. This works for spam as well (use a mailinator address).

Instead of asking to be removed from a mailing list, it works better to tell them your address has changed. Choose a bogus address that is far from you. This works for spam as well (use a mailinator address).

I like that idea. My experience with AARP has been negative for similar reasons as many other posters.

AARP is like the Roach Hotel - they let you check in, but they won't let you check out.

Believe it or not, there are alternatives to AARP:

AARP Alternatives | eHow.com

To AARP or not AARP reminds me of back in the day when the debate was Windows or Mac (the Bill Gates or Steve Jobs approach, take your pick).

I don't like the politics of AARP, I throw away their mailers but I do use a couple of their discounts.....hotel rooms and I do enjoy their magazine. To me it's worth it...I just take what I like and ignore the rest.

One might choose an address for another firm that is sending you junk mail. Junk mail firm 1 gets junk mail firm 2's address, and vice-versa.

Man....I'm REALLY getting some good ideas here....lol! I think I like Lsbcal's idea in post #47 the most...

Back
Top Bottom