Advertising - too much?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
It occurred to me a few nights ago, that I was seeing almost as much advertising time on the TV show I was watching, as content... so at 8:27PM, I clocked the ads. Between 8:27 and 8:34, the advertising was almost constant, except for two 15 second breaks, that went back to the show, to give some teasers about what was coming up on the program. That's 7 minutes, of which 30 seconds could be possibly classified as content.

We currently receive about 20 minutes of commercials out of every hour of TV.
During the last few Nascar Race broadcasts of the year, the newest approach was to have between half and two thirds of the screen devoted to commercials, with a non-sound continuation of the race in the other part of the screen. At one point this went on for almost ten minutes. There didn't seem to be any complaints about this, so my guess is we'll see more of this in sports broadcasting.

Now, many of the TV "Package" programs that offer movies continuously shop pop-ups... usually of coming attractions, and some channels keep a "corner reminder" of the channel you are watching.

The internet...
It used to be that advertising was just there... and over decades of using the internet, we developed skills to pick out the content we were interested in, and skip the ads that had no appeal. Now, it seems that it is almost impossible to select content or to scroll without inadvertently triggering another page, or a popout ad. Even worse, the unclicked video or the background sound track.

This April 2014 article (blog) gives some numbers as to the 2013 dollars spent on TV advertising $66B, and on Internet (digital) advertising $43B, which works out to a little less than a thousand dollars per U.S. household.

Digital Ad Revenue Skyrockets, But Still Lags TV - CMO Today - WSJ

And so, advertising is in some state of flux, with experiments in play to develop the most cost effective approaches. In between are the customers.

So too, here on ER, a mix of thinking and opinions for the media part of our lives. Cut cable, or keep it for the sports... Use OTA and Netflix... Smart TV, Roku, Tablet or Phone... no single best solution... but most, to one degree or another partially or totally dependent on advertising.

Now, from a different tack... How much of the future of our economy is rooted in advertising? The 106 channels on our cable or satellite system that are devoted totally to advertising product. How many startups, how many jobs are dependent on this? What about the Pharmaceutical Industry? Would the development of medicines slow without the sales that come from advertising? And then... isn't the political structure of government built around the advertising designed to influence voters and the democratic process?

I can't help but think of earlier days... before TV, before Internet... when advertising came from the newspaper, or radio... and even then, mostly directed at the basic products that everyone used... soap, cereal and maybe cigarettes.

The average 8 year old spends 8 hours a day, "screen time". How is/will advertising exposure affect his/her life? Indeed... in our own lives, how does what we watch... how does our exposure to advertising affect... decisions as to what we buy, what we think, and what we do?

Almost all of the programming I watch on TV are programs that are recorded to my DVR first. A few clicks of the 30 second skip gets through the ads pretty quick.

Watch out for those Heelots! :)

IMO excessive advertising found within other media is one reason Netflix has become so popular. By using Netflix and a good browser, I see very few ads.

I use Netflix for viewing entertainment without ads. I also sometimes watch videos on the network websites, and these almost always do have ads. When an ad comes on, I use the time for what I figure it was intended: to go to the bathroom, or get a snack, or converse with my wife. Heck, we were using ad time for this sort of go-to-the-bathroom purpose way back when I was a little tyke in the 50s.

Of course those NASCAR picture in a picture ads have got to go.

I've noticed that the ads during the news has really gotten out of control. Not only to mention that they will recycle news that is DAYS old. I'm not sure why I still watch..even if it's just periodically.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Here in New York, WPIX (Channel 11) airs reruns of Seinfeld but at certain points during the show, WPIX covers the bottom third of the screen with an ad and keeps it there for about 30 seconds, totally ruining the show. This ad is in addition to the regular ad breaks but at least those can be avoided by changing the channel for a few minutes. This ad cannot be avoided without forgoing part of the show. Since I have seen every episode many times, I change the channel but often don't return until well after the greatly annoying ad is gone. I went to the WPIX website to try to complain about this practice but could not find any "contact us" options (not that it would have done any good, I suppose). No other channel has this blatant form of annoying advertising.

There are a few TV shows which have 3 or 4 minutes of ads then return to the show just to announce that the show will resume after more ads. ABC's "This Week" does this at the halfway point of their show. Very annoying. CBS's "60 Minutes" used to do this too but they don't seem to do it any more (or I am missing that brief part of the show.

One reason I don't watch any more pro baseball games on TV any more is that it is little more than 8 minutes of action blanketed by 3 hours of ads, either promos from the announcers or ads on the screen during the many pauses in the action. The ads on the wall behind home plate during the centerfield camera shot are very annoying.

I read where a certain actress of a highly rated show gets $200,000 per episode, not per season, but for each episode. They have to pay for that somehow. Thankfully my DVR lets me fast forward past the payments.

The NFL is the worst. After a touchdown or field goal, they cut to a three minute commercial, then show the kickoff, which normally goes into the end zone, then another three minutes of commercials, back to the game, but first announcers have to talk again, then finally the game starts up. I no longer watch pregame shows because it is all hype. I turn on a game right before kickoff, and try and avoid commercials by flicking thru channels.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

And I primarily watch Netflix. Would love to give up the cable, but I am a sports junkie. If the cable company only had a sports package, that would be great, but the cable monopoly would overprice that. Cable companies know that people who watch sports normally watch it live and therefore are forced to sit thru a million commercials. I dvr anything I want to watch not sports related. Wouldn't it be neat if everyone would dvr the super bowl, the watch it at a later time to just too fast forward thru the dumb commercials? And for the record, I refuse to watch super bowl commercials.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I read where a certain actress of a highly rated show gets $200,000 per episode, not per season, but for each episode. They have to pay for that somehow. Thankfully my DVR lets me fast forward past the payments.
After prolonged negotiations with Warner Bros., Big Bang stars Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco have locked in new three-year contracts — said to be worth $1 million per episode.
New 'Big Bang Theory' Deal Could Make Kaley Cuoco One Of TV's Top Paid Actors - Forbes

Almost all of the programming I watch on TV are programs that are recorded to my DVR first. A few clicks of the 30 second skip gets through the ads pretty quick.

+1 I only watch live tv if I don't have anything near as interesting already recorded on my DVR. We have Dish and I love the Hopper where it automatically will skip commercials of many recorded PrimeTime shows. If Hopper isn't available then the 30 second FF button is handy.

With tivo I delay when I watch "live" tv by at least 10 minutes to build up a buffer.

I've taught my kids this, also - we have a family policy of fast forwarding through ads. I knew it was an issue for the kids (and had to impose the policy) when my then 8 year old asked for a "sleep number bed" for Christmas.....

Youtube's insertion of ads at the beginning is annoying also - and I haven't figured out a way to get past that.

Thank God for the DVR---although before it I used to buy blank DVD's in bulk for about 5-10 cents each and record shows, then fast-forward through the commercials.

There are so many commercials on TV now that I want to cancel cable. But the GF wants to keep it, so we do. I hate paying $90 a month to have 20 minutes (seems like) of commercials in a 60 minute show. Sometimes I will watch something on PBS that is only mildly interesting to me, simply because it has no commercials! May have to check out the DVR scenario.

My view is, to quote Bachman-Turner Overdrive, "You ain't seen nothing yet"

Just wait 'til everyone has advanced google glass or iGlass contacts or something similar. Walking down the street, local businesses inserting their ads directly onto one's vision. Same with in home appliances like refrigerators. Open the door and get a holographic ad for orange juice or something. Open the medicine cabinet in the bathroom - so many products to promote. Even better - maternity wards. Get 'em while their young. How about a pacemaker. In exchange for a favorable price, a short ad every 10 beats.

The possibilities are endless.

The US excels at marketing and advertising, is so much better at it than everyone else in the world, and getting better all the time. Crafty youngsters, fresh out of college, always thinking up new ways to identify ad-free zones of life and take advantage of them. One day we will look back and wistfully recall the good old days when ads were on a tv screen and we still had ways to limit them.

What Michael said +1

...and... what few remember, Vance Packard ~ Hidden Persuaders.
Advertising doesn't have to be above the JND. My major in college that more or less disappeared in the '60's and 70's.

http://www.ditext.com/packard/toc.html

Last edited:
I'm not much of a TV watcher, but over the past couple of years I've noticed a lot more advertising than prior to that. During commercial breaks of the few shows that I do watch, I either get up and move around to take care of small miscellaneous tasks or get a drink. Otherwise, I'll sit and read until the show resumes. But mostly, I'll look for a good old movie on TCM or the Western Channel, where you only see commercials between movies, not during. Mostly though, I prefer to skip TV (advertising and all) and just read or do some other activity.

On the subject of commercials, I have noticed that on the Jimmy Kimmel show, the break before the last guest lasts about 12 minutes. Sometimes it's around 10 or around 15 minutes. I usually DVR the show so I can skip the commericals, but for those that watch his "live" show (that isn't "live" at all..don't get me started on that) I am not sure anyone hangs around for the last 10 minutes.

Youtube's insertion of ads at the beginning is annoying also - and I haven't figured out a way to get past that.

Many websites connected to TV shows if you want to watch it on the Web have this annoying feature. I would sometimes watch The Tonight Show on the Web if I missed part of it the night before. They always have ads and you can't skip them. But another offender I have encountered has been Comedy Central's "The Daily Show." I forget which, but one of those shows bombards you with not one but FOUR or FIVE ads you have suffer through before the show starts, or between segments. At least I can mute the volume with my speakers but it really rots.

We use the DVR, Netflix, or Amazon Prime to avoid commercials. I really wish we could get rid of cable tv, but my husband likes to watch sports.

There are so many commercials on TV now that I want to cancel cable. But the GF wants to keep it, so we do. I hate paying $90 a month to have 20 minutes (seems like) of commercials in a 60 minute show. Sometimes I will watch something on PBS that is only mildly interesting to me, simply because it has no commercials! May have to check out the DVR scenario.

IMO the DVD island one of the best things since sliced bread.

I have purposely not watched any live TV since the 22nd because of the last minute xmas advertising glut.
I have several shows and movies recorded on my DVR if I decide I want to watch TV.
I've had the cable music channels on for background music. :D
Ads are displayed on the screen but there is no audio for the ads. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom