Advice on Buying Electric Car

Bought The Car

We drove up to Portland and bought that car I mentioned above.

100284687d504bd5a7e2a03a28852c3b.jpg

I would have just bought it over the phone, but it because it seemed too good to be true, I wanted to see it and and see the salesman at the (HUGE!) dealership.

So, now we have a Leaf that is essentially new, but cost $16,500 instead of $29,000 (- incentives). Topped up, the display showed an expected range of 83 miles.

Tomorrow I'll call a car transport service to have it transported here.

Congratulations, you'll get a lot of satisfaction driving around town in an electric car. Most Nissan dealerships I have seen have a few level 2 chargers that they let Leaf owners use whenever available.

Yes, but in situation like her recent accident, it would be much better to have hubbie ride to the rescue.
Well, given the new purchase--the rescue had better be within 41.5 miles of home:) (if the car is fully charged).

Last edited:
Can you rent a 10,000 watt generator and tow it home? :D

We looked seriously at a Prius. Could not justify the cost based on our projected annual mtce. Perhaps the next product generation will resolve the long payback issue for us.

Can you rent a 10,000 watt generator and tow it home? :D

Come to think of it, that might work, except that these EVs would have an even shorter range when towing, so I doubt that the manufacturers would have a trailer hitch as an option. Also, probably nobody bothers to make after-market brackets for them.

If one has a large SUV or a pickup, U-Haul rents a car towing dolly for fairly cheap.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, that might work, except that these EVs would have an even shorter range when towing, so I doubt that the manufacturers would have a trailer hitch as an option. Also, probably nobody bothers to make after-market brackets for them.

If one has a large SUV or a pickup, U-Haul rents a car towing dolly for fairly cheap.
You mean like this? 2015 Nissan Leaf Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

One could also rent a UHaul truck one way, with a car dolly.

OK.

As I reported in an earlier thread, a Leaf owner said that merely mounting a Thule rack on top of his car knocked the range down precipitously by the additional wind drag. I am surprised that people would think of towing a trailer with any EV.

As to towing a generator, I think one may make the evening news if a reporter happens to spot you.

And about renting a U-Haul truck, I did check into the price out of curiosity. A one-way rent of the truck is around $400, while that of the dolly is $60.

By the way, here's a towable 13kW generator, weighting 1500 lbs.

generac_product_mlg15__85434.1437752558.600.600.png

Last edited:
I assume you only use it to drive around the city or to and from work, since you are ok with the mileage range. If so, a Leaf or Bmw i3 should work. How about a Volt ?

Well, we put about 15K miles/year on our main car--it's a ways to town. It's just that we rarely need two cars at the same time.

For fun, we took one of these (BMW i3) for a 20 mile test drive:

Elektroauto-BMW-i3-schr%C3%A4g.jpg
[/IMG]

Really fun to drive. I liked it better than the Tesla (less huge). It was used (8K miles). They listed it at $29,000, and the range is only 66 miles.

The dealer said the range was 80, but when we drove it, it showed a charge level of 99% with an estimate of 66 miles to go.

So, that would be a no go. They've had it on the lot for five months. Even at $10,000 it would be too impractical.

There is something magical about silently accelerating with a lot of torque.

For a 2nd car to run errands like going to get grocery or to Home Depot for nuts and bolts, I would not mind getting an inexpensive Leaf. Many of our trips are less than 20 miles, and in fact the stores we frequent are all within a 5-mile radius.

Alas, my existing vehicles show no sign of quitting, and I am not the kind of guy who gets rid of something that still works.

I assume you only use it to drive around the city or to and from work, since you are ok with the mileage range. If so, a Leaf or Bmw i3 should work. How about a Volt ?

Looks like you haven't been following the progress of this thread too closely.

We drove up to Portland and bought that car I mentioned above.

BMW reported 10% lower sales this quarter.

But they also said 1 in 7 cars it sold were EV or hybrid, with a lot of it coming in the US.

Back
Top Bottom