Aero Garden?

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My BiL said my sister might like an Aero Garden for Christmas. Looks like they cost about $150 and grow plants hydroponically. Anybody have any experience with these or comments on them? Or a cheaper but neat alternative? Seems like egg cartons and potting soil would be a lot cheaper :D .

They do cook a lot, so fresh veggies and herbs would be used daily. They already grow some of their own stuff in pots and in the back yard.

Four words: Ch-ch-ch-chia!

Back when I was young and foolish I had a friend who grew "plants" hydroponically. It worked really, really well -- he had HUGE "plants" all growing in his attic without benefit of sun or soil.

A lot less messy than growing "plants" in the garden -- in oh so many ways.

In my area, there have been some recent "discoveries" of some of these "indoor gardens" that have been built out in vacant homes.

I would like to start some kind of hydroponic system too. The problem with the Aero garden is that it is mighty small for the price. Have to grow a lot of lettuce or herbs to make your money back. On the other hand, it might be nice for a starter system.

Beter watch what you're getting involved in.....

A RE college buddy of mine who lives in NJ started playing around with hydrophonics a few years ago. Today he has a 120' X 40' greenhouse where he uses a misting system he invented and built himself. The plant roots are in chambers where a nutrient bearing mist passes them as opposed to the roots being submerged in a liquid.

He supplies high tier salad greens to upscale restaurants and seems to be doing well at it. He no longer considers himself ER'd! :eek:

The small size kind of bugs me, too. I've been reading about hydroponics and aeroponics and found a do-it-yourself aeroponic project using a plastic storage tub and some garden sprayers. However that doesn't make a great gift. Might be neat to try myself, though.

Actually the Aerogarden doesn't quite fit my gift profile, either. We don't usually spend that much on presents, and you have to buy seed pods for it at $20 per set. :p On the other hand I'm pretty sure she'd use it and would think it's neat, and I'm short on other ideas at the moment. And she and BiL cook for me frequently, so I'd be enjoying the fresh hebs, too.

Back
Top Bottom