Age-asymmetrical marriage: How to handle people's curiosity

I guess I wouldn't overthink it. People are really bad at judging age and everyone ages differently. I get carded all the time, my DH doesn't, we are both mid 40s. I once went to the movie theater in my late 30s with my 2 sisters, 1 is two years younger than me and married with her ring clearly visible and the other is 11 years younger than me, I was asked if I wanted 1 adult and 2 children...and just said yes. I just keep it to the one word answer and move on.

I was watching a court show and there was a 57 YO guy trying to date a 22 YO lady... the judge said something like eventually the age difference just gets creepy.... (also, the guy looked like he was in his late 60s)...

The lady said afterwards that if the guy cannot provide for her and her children then who needs him.... yep, that is what people think is happening most of the time...

What people think is their own business. My business is to divert them gracefully when they start trying to make our business, their business :)

Imagine a couple where one is very fat, while the other is thin. No doubt, there are people dying to go up to them and say, "I can't help noticing the difference in weight between you. How much do you weigh?" But they don't, because it isn't any of their business.

Amethyst

What people think is their own business. My business is to divert them gracefully when they start trying to make our business, their business :)

Imagine a couple where one is very fat, while the other is thin. No doubt, there are people dying to go up to them and say, "I can't help noticing the difference in weight between you. How much do you weigh?" But they don't, because it isn't any of their business.

Amethyst

Actually I think that most people know it is rude to ask about weight... it is not as big of a deal to ask about age (well, some people say never to ask a woman her age:cool:).... so, some people do not see it as being rude...

If someone asks me something that I think is rude, I just look at them and say "REALLY".... with the proper tone of course...

I was watching a court show and there was a 57 YO guy trying to date a 22 YO lady... the judge said something like eventually the age difference just gets creepy.... (also, the guy looked like he was in his late 60s)...
Seriously, that's not an uncommon sight in Vegas on a Saturday night.

If people are curios or just chatty then I think it is none of their business and would avoid those type of people. If the person was sincere and the timing was appropriate it might be a normal thing to talk about.

But I have no idea what I am talking about and generally avoid all conversations that draw attention to myself.

Last edited:
DW and I are within a few weeks of each other's birth. DW has natural, lovely silver hair and I still have (Ronald Reagan) natural, dark brown hair - though less than RR had at my age. So, DW occasionally gets upset when someone thinks I am her son. Go figure!:LOL:

(Ronald Reagan) natural, dark brown hair

image_1306.png

Back
Top Bottom